View From the Queue

1 Conversation

This week's View looks at the official and unofficial volunteer opportunities at h2g2.

This Week's View



As I write this week's View, there are 417 entries left in the old queue. That's down from 504 entries two weeks ago, which amounts to a reduction of 43.5 entries per week. This represents a bit of a slow-down compared to previous weeks.



It is interesting to note that 25 entries were also approved each week, so more than half of the entries processed were actually featured on h2g2's main page. Usually the rate of approval is more like one in four. It looks like the editors may already be digging through those tricky-to-approve and tough-to-edit entries that are just too good to give up on.



Researchers have submitted 274 entries to the new Peer Review process so far. If we forget for a moment that there are two different editing processes going on, we find that the number of hopeful entries waiting to be featured is still roughly the same as ever.



There are 60,319 registered users at h2g2. We have indeed topped 60,000 researchers, as I predicted during the last View. However, we are just short of the 2,000 edited entries I predicted. Instead, there are 1999. I guess I'll have to wait one more week to break out the champagne.

Volunteer Opportunities



It is understandable for authors to get impatient waiting for their entries to be approved. But instead of moaning about it, why not volunteer to help out? Individual researchers are vital to the new Peer Review process, in many different ways. And if this is not your cup of tea, there are many other volunteer opportunities that could help you pass the time until your entry is approved.

Official Jobs



Although h2g2 does employ a staff to help run the site, it is difficult to keep a decent staff-to-member ratio with over 60,000 registered users. For this reason, various schemes have been created to allow members to help each other. Some of these relate directly to the editing process, while others do not.

Sub-Editor

Sub-editors do the huge majority of editing work at h2g2. They check entries for grammar, spelling, completeness and so on before the entries appear as featured works on h2g2's main page. While the staff also has a look-over at these entries before they are featured, they are happy to let nitpicky members do most of the gritty work. Learn more about becoming a sub-editor here, and sign up to join them here.

Scout

The Scouts cover a job that was once the sole domain of the sub-editors. That is, they decide which entries h2g2 will feature. Since the huge majority of submitted entries never make it to h2g2's main page, this job requires discernment and tact. The Scouts are also important because they provide all authors with feedback on their submitted entries, whether they have been forwarded to the sub-editors or not. If you would like to learn more about the Scouts, look here. To join, go here.

Guru

The Gurus are another relatively new force at h2g2. Their job is to answer all the general and technical questions posed by members of h2g2. As membership soars, they help resolve confusion over h2g2's interface, its GuideML language, and other technical aspects of the site's workings. Gurus should be very familiar with h2g2 and the internet, and evidence of some technical background is also appreciated. To learn more about what the Gurus do, check them out here. If you are ready to join, head here.

Ace

The Aces welcome new members to h2g2, and help them find their way around. It is easy for new members to feel lost in the wash of entries and forums, and some of them do struggle to find communities (virtual and otherwise) where they will feel comfortable. The Aces point them in the right directions and provide a formal hello for new members as they join. Aces should be social extroverts, and must be skilled at giving directions. To learn more about our Aces, go here. You can join them here.

University Field Researcher

h2g2's new University is a special set-up designed to encourage collaborative projects. Where an individual researcher might cover one part of a field of study and move on, the University Field Researchers coordinate a project with other h2g2 members to cover all the basics in a major or minor field of study. This takes determination, initiative, and broad knowledge of the subject matter at hand. To learn more about the University Field Researcher job, go here. To start your own project at the University, go here.



While all the jobs above require the ability and the time to contribute consistently, they also provide access to the h2g2 staffers for those instances where your own general knowledge is not enough to solve a dilemma. If you are feeling a little bored between entries, why not volunteer your time and benefit the other members at h2g2?

Unofficial Jobs



While some volunteer opportunities are presented by the staff at h2g2 Towers, others were the concept of ordinary researchers like you and I. In cases where h2g2 members felt collaboration could bring mutual benefit, they have started their own organizations.

Guardian Angel


Under GOD's guidance, the Saints of various odd things greet new h2g2 members. While this job is similar in some ways to that of the Ace's job, the Saints operate without the official controls of the h2g2 staffers. This allows them to volunteer on a more occasional basis, and leaves more room for the members' quirky individuality. To learn more about the Guardian Angels or join their ranks, go here.

Muse

The Muses are a team of inspirationists that give the writers, musicians, and other artists at h2g2 a good kick in the pants when needed. The Muses work alone and sometimes together to provide resources and feedback that will inspire other members of h2g2. To learn more about the Muses or join their ranks, visit the Musehome.

h2g2 SETI@Home

SETI@home is part of the international Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence. Contributors download and run a screensaver that processes raw data from the stars and searches for patterns that indicate intelligent life. The best thing about the process is that it occurs when your PC would otherwise be doing nothing very useful. h2g2 members have formed a team of volunteers who contribute in tandem and share group statistics on their rate of process. To find out more about h2g2's SETI@Home project, go here. To join the project, go here.

Collaborative Groups

There are numerous groups at h2g2 where members discuss topics that interest them. Interested members will find that many of these groups will happily accept aid, either in the form of direct support for the group or in the form of entries written about topics related to group discussion. Some examples include the Historical Society, the Film Society, the Musicians Guild, the Freedom From Faith Foundation, the h2g2 Christians, the h2g2 Unix users, the Vegetarian Society, the Comedy Workshop, Fiction Central, and the M2M2 Lesbigay Area. Joining a club related to your favorite interests can be fun and helpful at once. For a listing of other great groups, try the Overwhelmingly Huge Guide to H2G2 Clubs and the Quick Reference Guide.



The best thing about the unofficial groups at h2g2 is that they are so flexible. If you can't find a group that fulfills a need you see, represents a hobby you enjoy, or explores a perspective dear to you, you are free to create the group yourself. If you do, be sure to get your group listed at the two sites listed directly above. I also recommend contacting the Post about a Classified Advertisement seeking new members.

Next Week's View



Of course, volunteerism isn't for everyone. Many are content to contribute to the Guide through their writings alone. For those among us who follow this pattern, the main challenge is in finding something new to write about. Next week, we'll look at some common methods for getting inspired. If you have any useful ideas, please contribute them in the forum below.



Written by Fragilis the Melodical

Click here to see previous weeks' Views from the Queue.



Opinions expressed in this column are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of h2g2 or the Post.


04.09.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A430507

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more