smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

How much longer will you use this site?

Post 202

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Post 203

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

"Does anyone else get the feeling that this thread is going backwards?"

It had not ocurred to me that this thread was going anywhere. smiley - smiley

Post 204

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Everyone has to be somewhere.
Every thread, has to be somewhere, and so has to go somewhere.
Everyone, in every thread, who is in a thread, is going somewhere, with the thread, but where that might be........

Or, waht goes around, comes around, that which, in going around, goes around, is, of course, going around, and if we are with the thing which is going around, then we go around too. Back and forth, side to side, circular, oblong, and hexagonal. smiley - zen

Post 205

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

With a subject line like the one this thread has, it will keep going as long as possible, if not longer. or until it gets struck by lightning, after which it will put on a tuxedo and dance the Transylvania mania.

Post 206

bobstafford

It doth twist and turn like a twisty turney thing m'lord Blackaddersmiley - smiley

Post 207

Teasswill

And time is an illusion.

Post 208

Baron Grim

Lunch time doubly so. smiley - towel

*Obligatory response*

Post 209

And life is but a dream, complete with profiteroles.

Post 210

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I wish I could remember my dreams lately. I know I'm having complex dreams, but I never get to wake up naturally. Alarm clocks must surely be bad for us. I mean, 50,000 years ago, being awakened by a noise at one's ear was surely a Really Bad Thing.

I remember it clearly.

Post 211

Pastey

That's an interesting idea actually, that alarm clocks are bad for us.

In theory, if we didn't use alarms clocks or other noise (neighbours, bin lorries, phone calls, etc) we's sleep until we were naturally rested. Which would probably also see us staying awake later into the evenings.
Although if you have an alarm set for the same time every days for quite a while, you start to naturally wake up around that time, and go to sleep earlier accordingly.

I think though, what the human body caters to perhaps is a combination of these two things, but in both directions.

If you work hard and use up all your energy, then you're likely to sleep well, and therefore need less time to sleep. Labourers out in the fields used to get up at the crack of dawn, and not go to sleep until the pubs threw them out. So they used a lot of energy, but didn't need much sleep.
Whereas if you don't use much energy these days, you can wake up late morning, and not go to bed until late night. So using less energy means you need more sleepsmiley - erm

Which kinda puts paid to the notion that sleep is your body's way of recharging.

Post 212

Pastey

That theory could, of course, be a load of dingoes kidneys.

Post 213

Baron Grim

Electric light did more to smiley - bleep up our circadian rhythms than anything else in several tens of thousands of years of evolution.

From what I've recently learned (from possibly unreliable sources), we humans would normally go to sleep a few hours after sunset, wake up sometime around midnight, putter around, go back to sleep for another hour or two, wake up again, go back to sleep again and when dawn's light crept through our tents wake up yet again.... and then in the middle of the afternoon take a few naps.

We were not designed to take one big long sleep a day. Our bosses from the industrial revolution decided that was the most profitable sleep cycle and we've been stuck with it ever since.

Post 214

Pastey

A bit like our eating? I've heard it said that we are "designed" to graze constantly rather than a couple of big meals.

Post 215

You can call me TC

The most recent studies on this endlessly ongoing subject are now saying that two big meals a day is better than nibbling frequently. That makes sense in a way, because eating little and often means your system is continuously busy digesting and never gets a down time.

Except, I suppose, when you're asleep. On Pastey's theory >>If you work hard and use up all your energy, then you're likely to sleep well, and therefore need less time to sleep<< I would repeat what I always say about sleep - it's the quality rather than the quantity that counts. If you're really knackered, you're going to sleep more deeply than if you've just been sitting at the computer all day. You'll be tired, but not physically spent, and the sleep will be superficial, even if you sleep through till 10 am.

Well, that's what I feel like.

Having said that, I prefer to both sleep and eat in little, more frequent amounts than one sleep at night and two big meals a day.

Post 216

swl

Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to dis' a brie?

Post 217

You can call me TC

That reminds me of something I was going to say to Lil - I assume you are taking some form of medication at the moment. This can seriously affect your dreams. I have had incredible changes in the content and vividness of my dreams just through taking a couple of drops of Bach flower essence. (Which I have avoided ever since) or from vitamin D tablets. Antibiotics can give you nightmares.

Post 218

It's sad that some people can't remember their dreams. smiley - sadface

Last night, I dreamed I was on a group tour of a lovely village in Brazil, complete with fascinating architecture, a picturesque river next to our hotel, and soups made with jungle animals and vegetables. Then we got in trouble with the authorities, and had to hide along the river smiley - yikes. Then Carnaval started, and we easily disguised ourselves as revelers so we could make out exit safely.

Post 219

bobstafford

Probably upset the authorities by eating endangered species, rare parrots (personally I prefer my parrots well cooked) or some endanderd mammal.

Rare parrot can cause bad dreams!smiley - smiley

Post 220

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

At home I could come to consciousness gradually and reflect on what I had dreamt during the night. Here it's a flood of distracting noise as soon as the day shift arrives. Multiple televisions, PA announcements, chat with the aide who helps me sit up.

Key: Complain about this post