A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Jimmy Saville are you surprised?

Post 161

swl

We-ell - less BBC staff means less kiddies getting fiddled with I suppose. That's positive isn't it?

smiley - tongueincheek

Post 162

Alfster

swl

Is she implying that she isn't one of the quality people and is just one of the hangers on?

Post 163

Mol - on the new tablet

a year's massive salary for not doing a job terribly well for 54 days where did I go wrong with my career <\grumbles>

Mol

Post 164

U14993989

Swl >>We-ell - less BBC staff means less kiddies getting fiddled with I suppose. That's positive isn't it? <<

But more kiddies getting fiddled by high ranking tories allegedly. Some members of the establishment and government now have their opportunity to smash the BBC. Maybe the general public will figure out what is going on.

Post 165

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

With any luck Leveson will smash them first..

Post 166

swl

I think this attitude mirrors exactly what was going on inside the heads of those BBC employees on Newsnight. They got a sniff of a story outing a Tory as a paedophile and got a rush of blood to the head. Not just any Tory - a Tory who is now a Lord and who was once part of the anti-Christ Thatcher's government. That combination caused panties to spontaneously moisten and all critical reasoning went out the window.

Post 167

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

>>..caused panties to spontaneously moisten and
all critical reasoning went out the window. <<

My experience in all media informs me that these
conditions are symptomatic if not pre-requisite
of continued employment is such institutions.

Mark Twain's solution that all lawyers be taken
out and shot should be extended to include almost
everyone in the modern info/tainment industries.

smiley - cross
~jwf~

Post 168

Alfster

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/nov/13/retired-bishop-peter-ball-arrested

"Rt Rev Peter Ball thought to be most senior Church of England figure to be arrested in connection with a sex abuse inquiry"

Bet the COfE are glad he's retired at least...let's see if the new ArchBishop last the next 50days...that would be 'yes' just like a politician he'll just ride the storm unlike 'normal' civil servants who (are made) to fall on their swords.

Post 169

Pink Paisley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20303606

Ex-MP Cyril Smith now amongst the accused.

PP.

Post 170

clare

Charles gave him sanctuary in 1993 after he was initially found out smiley - huh

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Police-passed-files-disgraced-bishop/story-16367277-detail/story.html

Post 171

Orcus

Ah back to the safer territory of defaming the dead with Cyril Smith then.
This issue has, if anything, shown what can happen when accusations are thrown around about those who can actually defend themselves.
The debacle surrounding McAlpine does make me rather wonder how much of what has been said about Mr Saville and others is actually demonstrably true. smiley - erm

All a shame as out there, real people have been abused and I'm not sure that hasn't been forgotten by the media in their feeding frenzy.

Post 172

Beatrice

Oh dear, it does smack terribly of The Crucible - Salem witch trials, outing people as Communists etc.

Post 173

Hoovooloo

"The debacle surrounding McAlpine does make me rather wonder how much of what has been said about Mr Savile and others is actually demonstrably true"

Indeed. Amen to that...

Post 174

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

smiley - bigeyes

Not sure what this man's crime might be beyond
looking like Savile and smoking cigars. But it seems
that being 62 AND being from Bedfordshire might be
suspiciously criminal somehow.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/savile-cops-arrest-man-sex-offences-101739144.html

smiley - laugh
~jwf~

Post 175

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

DLT's been arrested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-20336798

smiley - ale

Post 176

swl

Crunch time for the Hairy Cornflake ?

Post 177

Hoovooloo

It does smack slightly of the Crucible... wonder how many other faces of the seventies and eighties are looking over their shoulders tonight?

Post 178

clare

And it's about time! smiley - cross

I know, I know, we have to be careful. But let's not forget who the victims are who need to be protected and that they haven't been so far for most of our history.

Post 179

HonestIago

>>But let's not forget who the victims are who need to be protected and that they haven't been so far for most of our history<<

*Alleged* victims: nothing's been proven yet. We need to be very careful about making allegations. Didn't the Lord McAlpine debacle prove that to people?

Post 180

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Who are they gonna try and crucify next? Kid Jensen?

This *is* a witch hunt. I'm almost sure of it.

Key: Complain about this post