A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is your favourite Approved/Edited entry?

Post 61

Mrs Zen

OOOps. I missed Pin's post. I still regret the passing of both Bels who gave the site so much, and of Lilithcookie, who was only 28 when she died. I would very much like to use some of their work, but sadly Taff is right, we can't.

B

Post 62

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

A couple of suggestions for your 42 entries:

A57720440 - Stolpersteine - An Everyday Memorial
Malabarista - U1528154

A72319737 - Dublin Statue Trail
Gnomon - U151503

A39115334 - Facial Hair and the American Civil War
Jordan - U201497

For other writings, might I suggest you check out recent offerings from smiley - thepost?

I'd suggest jodanchudan's excellent 'Max Rebo' series, but he seems to have elvised, much to our dismay.

Post 63

KB

From The Post, can I suggest some art?

Namely, any of the Colours of Wildlife series - A53937714 . Willem's still around, and I'm sure he wouldn't object.

Bear in mind that these are the pieces *after* they've been reduced in size and quality to comply with BBC standards - the originals are even better.

Post 64

smiley - applause Good pick, KB. I second the suggestion about Willem's art. Shows we are multifaceted. smiley - smiley

Post 65

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Keep in mind that, although someone may have elvised, someone current may be in contact with them still, so permission can still be asked. F'r'instance, I've already let Ben know that I can get ahold of Wowbagger and some others (not spimcoot, though, darn it--we fell out of contact over 7 years ago, and I miss himsmiley - wah)

Post 66

Taff Agent of kaos

a veritable corn-u-copia here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A2700488

enjoy

jogged by a link prof just e-mailed me

smiley - bat

Post 67

Mrs Zen

Thanks Taff.

I'm definitely up for art - links to any of the communyt art stuff gratefully accepted. The only proviso is that the artist should be reachable and the art should be reproducable in black and white.

B

Post 68

Ahem. I hesitate to use the word 'art' in this context, but some of the Gheorgheniplex cartoons are in b&w, and you're welcome to use them, if you can stand to: A49246491. smiley - blush

Malabarista has made a compendium of new community art at A53280731. This stuff is by people who can actually draw, and I think they're still around. smiley - whistle

Post 69

broelan

Don't know if I'm too late to be any help, but you would be welcome to use any of my stuff if you like. There's a complete list here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A14434968
Entries go back to 2002 (of course the older ones aren't as good I think) and the list is broken down into what's exclusively mine and what are collaborations and flea market rescues.

Post 70

shagbark

I particularly like the Solar System http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/approved_entry/A79508 and the tour that it starts of the various H2G2 articles on planets.

Post 71

Mrs Zen

Since you're here and I've got your attention, which one or two of your own pieces would you say were the best? (I may not be able to use them - space is turning out to be surprisingly short which is good) but it would help me a lot if I knew which ones you thought were the best.

Post 72

broelan

I don't know that I could pick out the best, I'm not a very good critic of my own work. My favorite is the Route 66 one but it's huge.

A13346255 The Largest Catsup Bottle one is short and I like the line about holding 100,000 gallons of catsup.

Swizzle Sticks is also short and a bit more recent, so probably a bit better written.

A20818064 St Louis Visitor's Guide received my favorite comment from PR, which was that the entry was exactly what the reviewer felt a Guide Entry should be in the spirit of the Guide.

And the Full Moons one was Entry of the Month for December 2007, someone had mentioned using some of those.

Post 73

broelan

A29779005 Full Moons

A34087935 Swizzle Sticks

Post 74

aka Bel - A87832164

If we are nominating our own entries (and as nobody else will do anyway smiley - tongueincheek), and if the number of hits they got in my blog are anything to go by, then have a look at

A19441541 The Karmann Ghia

It was an editors' challenge, btw, and it earned me an h2g2 t-shirt and a mouse pad.

The entry that comes second (hit-wise) is

A20600849 Batteries - Energy on the Move

Both happen to be entries I'm quite proud of.

Post 75

shagbark

If we are including updates I put put down the solar System (listed above)
If You mean solo articles I would go with A18927859 and A50669968

Post 76

I'm not really here

Learning to walk in extremely high heels. A3724977

But of course I like so many of my entries. smiley - bigeyesA651025

Flea Market rescues I love A29176365

Post 77

Post Team

If it needs to be black and white, then I'd go for the Hamerkop: A76271853 (It feels like it needs a Poe poem to go with it. smiley - laugh)

I'd definitely include the written part of any Colours of Wildlife, too - it always very interesting and informative. smiley - ok

KB

Post 78

shagbark

It is not an approved article but I particularly like my new index smiley - biggrinhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/entry/A78736693

Post 79

Mrs Zen

I'd already picked the Hamerkopf, though I've cut down the text rather. But I might include all the text.

Mina, that entries been in my mind ever since heels got high again! smiley - smiley

B

Post 80

Icy North

All I can say is 'Where were you guys when we ran Entry of the Month?' smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post