A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things that were cool in the '80ies

Post 201

Red Petals

How about all the Free Nelson Mandela songs, and the hostages that where being held, I can't even remember their names now but one was a journalist whom's girlfriend was campaigning for years, John MacCarthy and Terry Waite (whoa talk about a suddenly remembering!).

Does any one remember Weebels?(As in Weebels wobble but they don't fall down.)

Tootie Fruities, fizzy Lizzies, Sherbert dips, Cola Pips, and Spacedust.

R :o)

Post 202

Cloviscat

Having petrol smiley - winkeye

Post 203

threesecondmemory

I remember the Weebels, they had weebel village sets with some marvellous contraptions................stay lucky.

Post 204

HappyDude

My friend Miranda collects weebles ?
http://www.diboll.org.uk/miranda.htm
smiley - tongueout

Post 205

Red Petals

I Had the Weebles Play Park, can you still by them, I am due to be an Auntie soon and I think they would make an excellent toy.

R :O)

Post 206

Underground Caroline

Just incase anyone's interested, Channel 4 are about to start a season of classic animation from all eras, but including some gems like 'Will 'o' the Whisp' - one of my all time favourites (Ah, Evil Edna; Mavis the fat fairy) - and other potential nostalgia trips. I don't know if they're strictly from the 80s but I watched them in 80s, so I suppose that counts.

smiley - smiley

Post 207

Cloviscat

Fine vintage 80's - spot on smiley - smiley

Post 208

NexusSeven

Ah, Will 'o' the Wisp- fantastic. Kenneth Williams has rarely sounded better. My personal favourite episode was the one where Evil Edna (a kind of malevolent and ambulant TV set) had 'Pong' plugged into her, so that every time she was evil, thay would start playing a game of Pong and she'd have to endure the 'bip...bip...bip' noises etc. Classic.

Post 209

Paladin of the Lost Hour

I had a History teacher in high school who, no kidding, looked and walked (well, wobbled) just like a Weeble!

How about the Japanese anime that came to America under different names? StarBlazers (Ah, the Argo, whatta ship!)?
And Voltron? And the show in the S.F. Bay Area (for those familiar) that ran those cartoons--Captain Cosmic! smiley - smiley

Post 210

Vakuum

2unlimited.
That was cool in the last part of the 80-s.
Also that pukily pink color, tights and long t-shirts.
I am a small-medium sized person.. and I recently found a t-shirt from the 80-s, sized XXL. (And I was around 9 years old when I bought it..)
Oh yeah, and jeans with holes in... and the band Aha and NKOTB.
chewing gum and tons of hairgel and lots of clothes that had dots on it.

Post 211

Huw B

Fridges, freezers, both poles and the planet Pluto were all notably chilly during the 1980's.

?

Post 212

The Caffeine Kid

RUBIC... his cube, and clock, and all the rest... smiley - smiley

I still have a lot of them saved from my childhood...

Actually: I have a Rubic's Master Cube (the 4x4x4 one) still sealed in the original packaging unopened and untouched. Both my parents bought me one, without knowing the other had, so I left one as it was.

I wonder if its worth anything - its about 18 years old...hmmmmmmm

What's the address for Ebay. LOL

Post 213

prinsesse

i dunno...prob http://www.ebay.com
does anyone remember the care bears?
or the little bits? maybe even
fraggle rock? those were great...

Post 214

threesecondmemory

Fragil Rock (how do you spell it) was class in a glass, down at fragil rock, clap clap, down at fragil rock......with the lighthouse keeper and the shaggy dog, oh and what were those little green workers called....they built loads of scaffolding and the lazy fragils just ate it.....was it doffers or summat???? And the big giants what were they called?? So many questions so little memory..............................smiley - bigeyes..stay lucky.

Post 215

Cloviscat

'Fraggle' I think. The did a cool head-swaying thing during the singing, which we used to practice in the back of class... Wasn't Fulton Mackay in it?

Post 216

TokyoJoe

Monkee (Magic)

(I can still hum the theme song)

Shrinky-dinks - those weird bits of plastic that you shrink in the oven - I seem to remember Shreddies running a Black Hole (the movie) set.

Post 217

NexusSeven

'Doozers', I think the little industrious guys were called. Can't remember the giant types' names, though.
smiley - smiley

Post 218

NexusSeven

Waitaminute! Do you mean Disney's The Black Hole? One of my all-time cult faves! Maximilian... Awesome! smiley - bigeyes
(And yes, I do know that it was a seventies film, but I was watching it well into the eighties)

Post 219

TokyoJoe

G-Force - that anime with 5 people wearing bird outfits.

Or did it have another name, I can't remember?

In Japan its called Gatchaman (god knows why) and right now the full-length feature film (using japan's no.1 pop group "Smap" to play the 5) is hitting the cinema. I'm going to try and go and see it just for the nostalgia.

Post 220

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Weren't the Cabbage Patch Dolls part of the Eighties??

Key: Complain about this post