A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things that were cool in the '80ies

Post 221

Red Petals

Cabbage Patch Kids, not sure about that one, but I do remember Fragil Rock, and the all knowing all seeing Trash Heap!

Smile

L :o)

Post 222

HappyDude

I watched the first two episodes of 'Miami Vice' on one of the satalite channels today.

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smiley - tongueout

Post 223

threesecondmemory

The Garbage Pail Kids, Top Trumps and other collectibles

stay lucky..........................

Post 224

HappyDude

smiley - tongueout

Post 225

threesecondmemory

Check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/djs/cox_eighties.shtml for dodgy eighties hairdos.

stay lucky...............smiley - winkeye

Post 226

HappyDude

Nothing dodgy about 80's hairdo's, as long as you had enough hairspray. smiley - tongueout

Post 227

Nightfever

"Come and knock on our door,
we've been waiting for you,
Where the kisses are hers and hers and his,
Threes company too..."

Also CHiPs!!! Up there with A-Team, Transformers, Knightrider, Automan, Streethawk (Chakote from Voyager was in this!!), Snorks, Famous Five, Centurions, Voltron, Battle of the Planets/G-Force, StarCom, 21 Jump Street, Airwolf, Batfink, Battlestar Galactica, Bravestar, Cities of Gold, Dangermouse, Different Strokes, Dukes of hazzard, The Fall guy, Dungeons and Dragons, Fantasy Island ("The plane, the plane!!"), Gemini Man, Jace and the Wheeled Warriors (OK, this blew!), Man from U.N.C.L.E., M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armoured Strike Kommand...ah, the artistic license of the 80's strikes again!), Moonlighting, Land of the Giants, Hart to Hart, The Time Tunnel, Remington Steele, Scarecrow and Mrs King, He-Man, She-Ra, Silver Spoons, Thundercats

And the BEST cartoon of ALL TIME: Ulysees 31!!!!!

I loved that...

Sorry about going on, but I am on a nostalgia kick at the moment...

smiley - tongueout

fever

Post 228

Nightfever

Oh, and the bint from the testcard with the clown...

I am NOT reading the entire forum to see if any of my stuff is there, but I did see He-Man and Skeletor already (darn!)...

Oh and it was spelt "Fraggle" Rock with the Dozers and Red and Uncle Travelling Matt and the Trasheap and Goober and the boyz!

I watched WAY too much TV when I was a kid!!

smiley - winkeye

So, the 1980s are back.

Post 229

Ashley

So, the 1980s are back.

Heaven help us.

No really, the 80s were absolutely terrible the first time round - bleached short
hair, tight suits, come-shag-me shoes, shoulder pads, hair spray, blue eyeliner
(for the boys), illuminous socks, hair in braids, winkle picker shoes, fish net
tights, Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, the Brixton riots, microwaveable
pizzas, bad coffee, patchwork shirts, Cyndi Lauper, The Falkland's conflict, AIDs,
New Romantics, the death of the Golden Age of UK Children's TV, Janet Ellis
leaving Blue Peter, Babycham and brandy, ra-ra skirts, pop sox, Dynasty, Dallas,
shoulder pads, rubiks cubes, leg warmers, aerobics, the UK miner's strike, greed,
John Lennon getting shot, Terry Christian, Frankie Says T-shirts, drainpipe
trousers, pinstripes, cocktail bars, bad blockbuster cinema, quiffs, the death of
Punk, the rise in capitalism, the poor getting poorer, the rich getting fatter, famine
in Africa, butter mountains in the UK and USA, Star Wars (the counter strike
strategy), conservatism, the fall in educational standards, the rise in crime, and
the list goes on.

I'm not saying that the decade was all bad, just that I lived through it once and I
really don't want to experience it again. I'm not saying the nineties were any better
but they at least progressed.

I would have thought that for the first decade of a new millenium , we could have
come up with something more original...

So, the 1980s are back.

Post 230

Ashley

That came from my journal on my home page, hence the dodgy layout...

Post 231

TokyoJoe

did anyone mention the Hitch Hiker's guide tv series?

that was great (even if it did cut out massive great chunks from the books)

On another note, why does the BBC only do six-parters - the US and Japan have much longer running tv series which make for much deeper story lines.

So, the 1980s are back.

Post 232

HappyDude

The 80's were so cooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ! Bruce Willis was on Miamai Vice today HE HAD HAIR !!!!!!

smiley - tongueout

Post 233

HappyDude

Some of us remember the origanal Radio series.

Post 234

Nightfever

I don't remember the radio series (wasn't born...good excuse!) but I do own it on tape...but wasn't that from the 70's??

Prefer the radio to book or TV I do...way funny and it tells all them people how to pronounce the name Zaphod!!!!

And whaddya mean Bruce had hair?!?!?!?!?

Post 235

Phil

Probably the same as when I saw the video for Band Aid on VH1 (it was a 1984 special) Phil Collins had hair and was shown playing the drums as well smiley - smiley

Post 236

HappyDude

There was even hair gel in it smiley - tongueout

Post 237

HappyDude

Anybody else notice that Tiffany has a new Album out ?

Post 238

Cloviscat

Say it isn't so - please! smiley - tongueout

Post 239

queeglesproggit

'Fraid it is, I had heard that too. Also watched Frank Skinner last night to find that Sam Fox is releasing a new album too, it's to coincide with the publishing of her autobiography and a TV program where they've followed the pop strumpet around for a year, can't wait for that one.... (I'm lying).

Is Nightfever the Only one that remembers that little chap on Fantasy Island going "The plane, the plane!"? I mention this every now and then when a plane passes overhead (much more preferable than at eye level) and whoever's with me just gives me an odd look, I try to explain but they just don't get it!! smiley - bigeyes

Post 240

Phil

Don't forget he was telling Da boss.

Key: Complain about this post