A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things that were cool in the '80ies

Post 181

Red Petals

I Don't remember that, but I do agree about the book "When the wind Blows".
Was it in the 80's or in the 70's when we had the Queen's Silver Jubilee, I remember massive street parties but I can't remember the decade - obviously the memory loss can be contributed to another aspect of the 70/80's which I found quite enjoyable!
The death of John Lennon, end of an era, sad day.

R :o)

Post 182

NexusSeven

Silver Jubilee was 1977, wasn't it? Mind you, I wasn't born then, so what do I know? smiley - winkeye

Post 183

I'm not really here

It was in 1977.
I was there, I had a street party!
(Not all by myself of course.)

Post 184

Phil

77 was the silver jubilee.

Protect and survive was the leaflet designed to be sent out all householders in the UK with information on what to do in the event of a nuclear atack. Raymond Briggs thought it was laughable and so wrote When the Wind Blows.
A copy can be found on the internet at http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/atomic/index.htm

Two Tribes by FGTH uses some of the radio/tv material designed to be broadcast in the event of such an emergency including in one mix of the track Patrick Allen (the narrator of the films) saying "Mine is the last voice you will ever hear. Don't be alarmed"

There was also the movie Threads, I had to watch that in school one time bloody scary stuff!

Post 185

Red Petals

I remember it now, we had a talk on it at school and it all seemed very scary.

Other things not so good about the 80's, the Falklands war, lost a couple of friends to that pointless cause!

On a happier note, Culture Club and Madonna boosted the sales of Make up, and made it cool to wear torn clothes!

Post 186

I'm not really here

I think Threads was shown at my school as well, or at least talked about a lot.
I didn't ever see it though.

Post 187

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Don't forget the other post-holocaust film of the time - 'The day after'

'G'

Post 188

Phil

That was the US based one wasn't it.

Post 189

Correct!!!

Even more scary than 'Threads' I thought!!

'G'

Post 190

$u$

'Robin of Sherwood' became unwatchable after Sean Connery (son of Sean, with the equivalent amount of acting talent of his father's little finger) took over the lead. Good soundtrack by Clannad though. Particularly like 'Maid Marian'. Still got the audio tape (next on the stereo nostalgia run!) Michael Praed subsequently made a rapid descent by joining 'Dynasty'. (pr. Die Nasty!!)

I try not to think about JL.smiley - sadface Not much fun to lose a hero at that tender age.smiley - sadface

What about Dave... erm... used to sit on a barstool telling jokes. Or was that pre-80s? *hazy memory*

~A~

Post 191

$u$

Oops, that should have said Jason, son of Sean. Terrible typing traumas tonight.smiley - bigeyes

~A~

Post 192

Red Petals

Are we talking Dave Allen her, I think he was 70's / 80'S but his comedy lives on for ever!
I always remember him talking about flying and when the Stewardess show you where the exits are they are in fact making the sign of the cross, on my first flight later that year could not help but laugh!

Post 193

Red Petals

Are we talking Dave Allen her, I think he was 70's / 80'S but his comedy lives on for ever!
I always remember him talking about flying and when the Stewardess show you where the exits are they are in fact making the sign of the cross, on my first flight later that year could not help but laugh!

As for the original Robin, I forgot that he made that horredous mistake by going to America and cutting of his flowing locks! Little John also became a doctor in Casulty.

Does anyone remember the TV series Angels, about hospital nurses, also there was Crossroads, classic which I hear they will bring back, do you think Benny will have found the spanner!?

There was also a TV programme / drama about a group of women whom planned and exicuted a robbery, excellent programme can't think what it was called, possibly Black Widows or something.

One more I just remember the best drama of all time Tenko!

Post 194

It was just called 'Widows', RP

'G'

Post 195

Red Petals

Cheers for that, it was starting to bug me, bloody good series though, they tried to do a sequal to it a few years back, not as good though.

Cheers

Post 196

's OK!
No, sequel not as good as original.....few sequels are!!!

'G'

Post 197

$u$

Perhaps Mr Praed will turn up as the next James Bond after Mr Brosnan has got 'Pierced' off with the role.smiley - winkeye Looking older and more refined perhaps (minus those tights)?smiley - smiley

~A~

Post 198

Diana

Jem. She-Ra. Care Bears. Wuzzles. Strawberry Shortcake.

For me... well, Mr. Rodgers and Sesame Street occupied much of my time in the 80s.

But, first and foremost... MY LITTLE PONIES!!! (I was a toy freak, apparently, looking back.)

Post 199

$u$

Oh yes... how could I forget...

Me.smiley - smiley

~A~

Post 200

threesecondmemory

Atari consoles, Roller Boots, neon socks, ghetto blasters, Madness, Culture Club, John Farnham.....etc...........stay lucky.

Key: Complain about this post