A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 461

Scouse_Cookie

I saw be cool the other day.

it was a film full off stupidity and no real plot line. and usualy any film with an old John Travolta (with the exception of Pulp Fiction) just makes me cringe. And 'The Rock' doing his stupid eyebrow thing was bad when he was a wrestler and worse now he's an "actor".

but still it helped get away from reality for abit and there where a couple off things that made me laugh!!!. i dont think the film was supposed to be a mind opening experience it was supposed to be a corny feel good film. and it was.

smiley - magic

Post 462

Ged42

Watched Vanilla Sky last night.

High quality mind f**kage, i though Tom Cruise was really good, especially working through the make up.

Post 463

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Caught this on Sky the other day and quite forgot to mention it here.

Jumanji. I first saw that when it came out in 1995 (!) and 10 years later it holds up remarkably well. A much better film than I remembered it being, the central conceit of the malevolant boardgame still works. The set pieces (Stampede, Monsoon and Earthquake) still hold the attention very well and the CGI is Jurassic Park quality and hasn't dated noticably. This time around I was able to pick up on some of the humour I'd missed the first time around as well as the other subtle nods (the Peter Pan-esque notion of having the distant father figure portray the evil villain in the course of the film leading to redemtpion and forgiveness)

I think I might get this on dvd for one of those movies I can comfortably just watch and enjoy without engaging all brain cells.

smiley - popcorn

Post 464

AFGNCAAP (or, by popular demand, Afgahn Cap")

Note to Galaxy Babe: Sahara is quite good, but the mcguffin of a plot twist at the end is a bit weak. (went to see it with my family smiley - popcorn ) Takes a while to set up the plot, but from then on it is enjoyable popcorn fodder. Highlight of the movie: "doing a panama"
smiley - smiley

Post 465

Baconlefeets

Spider man 2 on Box Office.

Better than the firstsmiley - applause

Post 466

Beatrice

Saw The Pacifier last night with Vin Diesel
(I mean, he was in the movie, not sitting next to me or anything...)

Midly amusing.

Post 467

badger party tony party green party

Watched "Million Dollar Baby a few weeks back and really liked it.

The boxing was not the best Id seen on film but beat[sic] any depiction in a rocky film and the training scenes were more revealing about personality of the characters rather than just cut together secens of muscle and sweat over a sound-bed.

The gore hit just the right note without being a simple splatter fest.

The central story or rather big upfront plot line is laid out well and the denoument although fairly predictable was paced just right. so that it didnt give away the goods too son or keep you hanging about till I got bored and said just kill her already.

I say the upfront story because the most interesting story in the film is the sub-plot. The glorious flashy heights that Swanks character reaches and the astounding lows she hits are mirrored on a smaller scale by another boxer. His story is the story of most of us ordinary folks and though the message from both their stories is essentially the same the outcomes are startalinlgy different fro both characters.

The icing on the cake is that the story is narrated by and co-stars Morgan Freedman, who has a voice and screen presence that mkes most things worth watching.

Post 468

intelligent moose (the one true H2G2 Moose)

Saw "Open Your Eyes" (remade as Vanilla Sky) the other day. Fantastic film but awful awful ending.

Post 469

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Jumanji - saw that on tv a few months ago, my son loves it. smiley - ok

Just got back from seeing "Sahara" at the Senior Screen (Mum went into one of the other screens to see "Finding Neverland")smiley - oksmiley - okI enjoyed it very much, 'twas a lively romp and Matthew Mc-whatever didn't miss a chance to peel off his clothes showing off his wonderful physiquesmiley - tongueout

I didn't get the physical attraction between the hero and heroine, there was absolutely no chemistry, no body language, no flirting, and the fact that they're supposed to be getting married in real life has got me baffled.smiley - huh

Two weeks today it's my birthday. A bit of a milestonesmiley - sadface
Picked up the advert for 3rd May - hmmm

What shall I choose...
a) The Interpreter
b) Wedding Date
c) Downfall
or
d) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Decisions, decisions...smiley - evilgrin

Post 470

Bought Jumanji today for £6.99. smiley - biggrin

Post 471

Mr Jack

Saw 'The Downfall' Thursday last. I can't remember the last time I saw a film with such power. Hitler, the Nazi mentatlity the bloody saveragery of the war all stuningly portrayed. Reminded me at points of the Mask Of The Red Death.

As I arrived late for the showing of The Downfall I decided to watch something else as I waited, so I saw Constantine, to judge it for myself... It was as astonishingly bad as I both expected and heard it to be. I hadn't walked out on a film since Hope Springs...

Post 472

Baconlefeets

Post 473

At my local cinema, they've billed HHGTTG to start this Friday - and the first showing is at 1.30pm. I could make that, before I have to collect Andrew.

So, do I go then and be "first" to see it? Or wait till the Senior Screen showing?

smiley - evilgrin

Post 474

Emee, out from under the rock

Go to the first showing and make sure to wear a bathrobe and take a towel. smiley - towel

Post 475

smiley - yikes

They'd think I'm a smiley - aliensmilesmiley - geek

smiley - blush

smiley - winkeye

Post 476

badger party tony party green party

You say that as if people dont secretly think that about you already.smiley - biggrin

smiley - rainbow

Post 477

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I'm taking a towel to HHGG regardless of which showing or which day I see it on.smiley - towel

Post 478

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

I just wish that someone would produce a film that actually motivated me enough to get off my ar*e and go to the cinema... smiley - blue

Guess i'll just be waiting around for Sin City, Batman Beginnings and Willie Wonka then...

smiley - shark

Post 479

I'm waiting for those too Blue.smiley - ok
Do you know when does Sin City arrive on these shores? It's already out in the states. smiley - erm

Post 480

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Sometime at the end of this month - I think it may even be getting a simultaneous release date to cut down on pirating potential.

I suppose there's a slim chance I might get to see it in the States...

smiley - shark

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more