A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 421

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Finally saw Bridget Jones the Edge of Reason.

Good film, quite funny in parts, unbelievable in others.

And I don't think Hugh Grant was worth his pay-packet considering how little time he actually spent onscreen.

Unfortunately the DVD two-box set of Bridget Jones landed on my doormat yesterday from Britannia - I forgot to cancel the Editor's Recommendationsmiley - blush so it's going right backsmiley - tongueout

Post 422

Ged42

A trailer for the upcoming Wallace and Gromit movie: The Curse of the Were Rabbit.

http://aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=19519

Looks excellent smiley - biggrin

Post 423

AFGNCAAP (or, by popular demand, Afgahn Cap")

The last time I checked, the guy who made "ain'titcool" weighed about a ton, and seemed to be made entirely of orange beard. I have recently seen Ed Wood with Jonny Depp (as in starring in, not WITH unfortunately).

To do a bit of less than subtle name dropping, my mother once had a date in an Indian resteraunt with David Hasselhoff.smiley - cool

Post 424

Mr Jack

Most recent thing I saw at the cinny was The Life Aquatic, I do love Wes Anderson's comedies.

Post 425

pffffft

Fillums I saw either at the cinema or on DVD at the weekend,

Robots - Rubbish. Even the voice of Robin Williams offers no redemption for this clunker

The Incredibles - Entertaining but fell asleep.

Spiderman 2 - Cool, entertaining, mindless, enjoyable.

The Butterfly Effect - amazingly bad. interesting, if unoriginal concept, but worth watching only for the lead actors total inability to act whilst being asked to act out even more unbelievable situations as the film goes on. Depth out of. Him reading, supposedly in panic, attempting to trigger his time travel escape from a prison cell while several inmates are physically making there way in with the express motive of introducing him to Uncle Monty is an absolute classic. Made me laugh out loud. Then he wakes up with no arms or legs I think and has to act suprised and pained. Classic Trash.

Any Given Sunday - Brilliant film. Pacino is awesome as the coach. No real plot to follow. Just a slice of an American Football teams season.

I didnt get out much this weekend.

Post 426

Bill Murry's hat in the Life Aquatic looks very weird. Wasn't it (the movie, not the hat) done by the Guy who did the Royal Tenebaums and Rushmore?
I haven't seen it yet, but I hear the fish are v. cool.

Post 427

Crescent

Constantine. I enjoyed it a lot. I have only seen John in passing in other media, so the furore over the various changes has passed me by somewhat.

Suprisingly, I thought the film was understated, and this fitted in well with the general tone of the story. There was one moment when, for about 30 seconds I thought 'is this a computer game I am watching?' but for the rest of the film I thought it was pretty well done. The magic was dark and costly, Satan was pretty damn repulsive (and with almost no special effects as far as I could tell, good makeup and acting by the mannie).

I would recommend this film. Until later...
BCNU - Crescent

Post 428

Heartbroken.
Loved Ocean's 11. Wanted to see the sequal. It had very bad reviews.
Loved Get Shorty. Wanted to see the sequal. It had very bad reviews.

smiley - wah

Post 429

Crescent

Really, dodge Oceans 12 like the plague. It was dire. I enjoyed 11, but this one sucked dead dogs c**ks. Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 430

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

The Incredibles is wonderfully dark for a Pixar movie. As far as sheer entertainment goes, it's probably the best they've done narratively since Toy Story (and thereafter followed a tried and tested buddy formula) and the jokes (monlogues, capes, jack jack The Boss) are spot-on hilarious.

Not just for kids. smiley - ok

Post 431

Mr Jack

"Wasn't it (the movie, not the hat) done by the Guy who did the Royal Tenebaums and Rushmore?"
The hat I suspect was a delibrate choice on the part of writers/directors.
And yes, Wes Anderson also did Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums. The Royal Tenenbaums I consider to be his funniest.
The animated wildlife in The Life Aquatic are indeed cool.

Finally got Mystic River out from my local rental store and was I must admit a little disappointed having heard so much good about the film. Still a very good film, but seemed to lack the 'spark' that amkes a film really grab me.
Also saw the french crime film Dobermann, which was woderfully high impact and overblown.
And the Korean film Sympathy for Mr. Vengence was dark and kinda tragic but with a sprinkling of east asian humour.

Post 432

designmonkey AKA George The Gay Hippo

Saw 'Old boy' over the weekend, great film fantastic story and a very odd looking fight in a corridor with a hammer.
DM

Post 433

"got Mystic River out from my local rental store"

He has got got into the habit of directing recently, but I still see Clint Eastwood as the chain smoking, sombrero wearing Man With No Name from Sergio Leoni's spaghetti westerns. He was the only person to look cool in a poncho.
Better than Dirty Harry. smiley - cool

Post 434

HonestIago

Watched Constantine last week and I thought it was okay, a decent piece of popcorn fodder but it could have been a lot better IMHO. There were some really interesting ideas that were never followed up, it was quite predictable at times and the anti-smoking message really p****d me off and I'm a committed and vocal anti-smoker.
However, the special effects and artworks were superb (I loved the Hell scenes and the transfer between the two worlds)
Go watch it but don't expect great things from it

Post 435

Mr Jack

Even though I normally view films as a seperate art form to the books they are based on somehow hearing so much talk long before it came out of how Constantine was such a terribly insult to the Hellblazer comics I've never really developed any desire to see it...

Post 436

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Ditto.

now Sin City on the otherhand..... smiley - drool

Post 437

Lakie

Dirty dancing 2 - it was crap! Now you might say that I could have predicted that. I watched it mainly hoping for some good latin music and salsa...which were sparse

Post 438

Baconlefeets

Just blobbed out on the settee and found myself watching Greasesmiley - weird

Post 439

A Super Furry Animal

Saw "The Bourne Supremacy" last night on DVDVDVDVD. Don't bother. Utter dross.

Currently watching Flash Gordon on telly, at least it has some comedy moments and a killer soundtrack! smiley - biggrin

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 440

Baconlefeets

I saw that when it came on the cinema, rubbish. I fell asleep in the picturessmiley - erm

It was embarassing, I was on a second first date with this blokesmiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post