A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What in your music collection do you hide when 'cool' people visit?

Post 121

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Yes, I can see that
When I say I like rock music I often have to say but not heavy metal to avoid long discussions about Iron Maiden or whoever
I do like some heavy metal but like genre fiction 90% is derivative dross

Post 122

MuseSusan

Rap and heavy metal are pretty much the only large genres I have a general dislike for, and I haven't yet seen a musical that uses them (actually, does 8 Mile count? I don't usually put movie musicals at the same level, and I've also never seen it, but I guess it has multiple songs and therefore counts. Hmmm.)

Okay, if I don't go to sleep now, I won't go to sleep the whole night. So nighty-night (good morning, to you). smiley - smiley

Post 123

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Goodnight smiley - smiley

Post 124

tanzen

What's this about me having a knack for scaring people smiley - yikes?

Who've you been talking to smiley - laugh??

Post 125

I don't know what else MuseSusan may have been refering to but I meant the effect you had on Master B, or maybe it was just us 3 talking about musicals that sent him running smiley - biggrin

Post 126

tanzen

Well I see my reputation precedes me smiley - winkeyesmiley - rofl!

Post 127

Can't say I've heard it but reputations often have the wrong effect
I remember joining the Labour Party in north London in the mid-80's and being warned off this guy because he was trouble (in a political sense). Of course he is now one of my oldest friends though we have both left the Labour Party far behind.

Post 128

tanzen

It's one of the things that comes with being decidedly unsmiley - cool I suppose smiley - biggrin...

...I've always run with the freaks and pariahs...I don't see why it would be any different in here smiley - laugh!

Post 129

I guess partly I've never liked being told who I should or shouldn't know and partly have a deep mistrust of authority
My friends have always tended to be outsiders
I suppose I'm a bit of an outsider, certainly not in
God, I'm getting serious again
Watch out for that

Post 130

tanzen

The outsiders are always more fun because they don't have to worry about whether or not their actions will effect their coolness smiley - coolsmiley - ok!

I'm a smiley - weirdo, was born a smiley - weirdo, and will die a smiley - weirdo...the people who know me love me and the people who don't aren't my concern smiley - biggrin

Post 131

MuseSusan

Being weird is lots more fun than being "normal"--the best part is being able to get strange looks from people as I dance past singing at the top of my lungs and stuff like that. smiley - smiley (And besides, "normal" people only think they're cool; weird people know it!)

Post 132

tanzen

Oh I agree...I know the words to Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" and I'm not afraid to admit it!!

Post 133

Just trying to sing gets me odd looks smiley - frog

Post 134

tanzen

I don't think I'm that bad a singer (although I do have an unnaturally high opinion of myself smiley - angel), it's more the choice of song that causes the embarrassment smiley - blush

Post 135

A Super Furry Animal

Ahh, "Ring Of Fire"...

A friend of mine went to visit a guy in hospital. He'd had an operation to remove haemorrhoids. Expresses concern, sympathy etc throughout visit, asks if there's anything he can bring next time.

On the way out, he passes the hospital radio station. Oh, you can see it coming a mile off, can't you? smiley - winkeye

"Can you please play this song for my friend in ward xyz..."

Post 136

smiley - rofl
One of the few songs I can remember off by heart is Psychokiller. That worries some people smiley - monster

Post 137

A Super Furry Animal

Qu'est que ce?

Post 138

Beatrice

Fa fa fa faaaa-fa fa fa-fa faaaa fa!

Post 139

tanzen

Talking heads?

Post 140

A Super Furry Animal

Nah. Talkin' b*ll*cks.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more