A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What in your music collection do you hide when 'cool' people visit?

Post 301

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

andand a 78 compilation of frankie yankovic and the yanks playing polka music signed by the whole band

Post 302

happyhappygirl

Crazyhorse, I've got a 78 of Cliff Richard doing Living Doll and an Elvis one but I can't remember which.

Post 303

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I missed out on vinyl, I'm just that little bit too young! smiley - wah

My current obsession is the original Broadway cast recording of The Pajama Game, and in particular the track 'There Once Was a Man', which is totally ridiculous, but great fun!

David

Post 304

A Super Furry Animal

If I really want to wierd someone out, I play them something by The Tiger Lillies. This usually leads to "backing away carefully"-type behaviour smiley - winkeye

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 305

MuseSusan

A fun one for freaking out my roommate is Forbidden Broadway. It's a revue that's been Off-Broadway for decades and does the most hilarious parodies of any and every musical, actor, and composer on Broadway. But it's only hilarious if you know the musical in question; otherwise it just sounds really, really strange. Hence, when I was listening to "Ethel Merman" teaching the guy how to warble Sunset Boulevard, my roommate's friend waited as long as she could stand it, and then asked, "What are you listening to?"

Post 306

JonnyMaelstrom

I am currently watching a programme about the One, the Only, Dolly Parton. I rarely admit to really loving some of her songs, but I do think she (ahem) "rocks". smiley - smiley

Post 307

tanzen

I actually got engaged (again, I am starting a harem, you know) on the weekend to a boy purely because he shared my love for Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash smiley - ok!

Post 308

Itzcotl

Everything but the Beatles.

Post 309

tanzen

The Beatles are the only things you wouldn't hide smiley - erm?

Post 310

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

'What in your music collection do I hide when 'cool' people visit?'

Nothing.

Though to be fair if I owned any Oasis and/or Beatles cd's (there's a difference?) I'd hide them right sharpish.

smiley - shark

Post 311

tanzen

Wow, the Beatles and the Doors are usually the first things I throw in the cd player when I have people around...

Post 312

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

if i want to get rid of someone Leonard Cohen often does the trick smiley - erm but I like his stuff smiley - smiley

Post 313

tanzen

My old boss (he's not that old, but he's not my boss anymore smiley - smiley) is a huge Cohen fan...he used to lend me cds all the time...not just Cohen stuff but other stuff like the Beatles, Cream, Creedence etc...because he knew I would be into it smiley - blush...

Post 314

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

1 of my friends used to moan about LC being depressing but hes just copied all his Tom Waits for me and LC is a bundle of joy compared to some of the Tom Waits stuff

it is good though

Post 315

tanzen

Tom Waits is stacks smiley - cool...albeit a little scary....smiley - smiley

Post 316

not music to play when you've just had bad news and are getting drunk, thats the time to get the B-52s out smiley - smiley

Post 317

tanzen

Yes, or They Might Be Giants smiley - ok!

Post 318

and thats just about all the cheerful upbeat music I have, apart from that jazz compilation I started this thread off with smiley - smiley

Post 319

tanzen

Hmmm....smiley - erm

I have the soundtracks to "Hair", "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "Blues Brothers"...all of which have upbeatedness about them smiley - magic

Post 320

I've got RHPS
ok the rest of my stuff isn't all complete doom and gloom but very little bright and breezy stuff in there smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more