A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What in your music collection do you hide when "cool" people visit?

Post 261

A Super Furry Animal

Everyone who visits me *must* listen to Powderfinger. Including my mum.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 262

tanzen

And everyone _should_ listen to Powderfinger smiley - ok!!

If people come around while I'm playing music, I usually just let it go...if they like it they like it, if they don't, well they could try drowning it out with a little conversation smiley - biggrin!

Post 263

MuseSusan

Jonny--
I was being sarcastic. smiley - smiley
I happen to disagree with both the people who think technology is evil and the people who think technology will solve everything. It's all in us people and how we use it that determines whether we'll be happier or sadder than before.
I love technology myself, in the same way as I love music and art: it amazes me to see what we humans can create out of practically nothing.

Post 264

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

I've nothing against technology in principle ... the problem is my own ineptness with it smiley - erm

Post 265

MuseSusan

Actually, I'm starting to develop a collection of musical cast recordings in other languages. It started because I was learning Spanish in high school, and the teacher told me to listen to music in Spanish. Well, I didn't much care for the actual Spanish songs, but then I happened to find El Fantasma de la Opera. Then I found Evita in Spanish. Then, since I'm interested in many, many languages, I got Cats in German. Now I might be getting Rent in Swedish, Les Mis in French, and we'll go from there.
But there's another advantage to this collection, besides helping me learn other languages: I can show people just how weird I really am. I enjoy playing it in my dorm room just before my roommate and her friends walk in, so I can freak them out. It's very entertaining to watch them try to find a polite way to ask what the heck I'm listening to!

Post 266

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

we're having a sing song on the "and so, this is Christmas" thread on Lamposts page if you'd care to join us smiley - smiley

Post 267

JonnyMaelstrom

MuseSusan - I wasn't being all that serious myself either. I agree that technology can be used for good or ill depending on the hands it falls into.
When I lived in Argentina I went with my friends to see the stage show of Beauty and the Beast in Spanish - not quite Phantom, but it's sort of show-tuney, right?
At the risk of having things thrown at me, who the hell are Powderfinger?

Post 268

A Super Furry Animal

smiley - flansmiley - tomato

Powderfinger are an Australian rock band - the finest thing to come out of Brisbane since...err...(loses track of sentence...)

The finest thing to come out of Brisbane. Ever! There!

http://www.powderfinger.com

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 269

MuseSusan

smiley - envy jealous smiley - envy jealous smiley - envy jealous smiley - envy
You have no idea how envious I am. I would love to see Beauty and the Beast in Spanish (or indeed, onstage at all)!

RF, while you're throwing things, better throw them at me too.

Post 270

tanzen

*...still trying to think of something else good to have come out of Brisbane...*

Post 271

MuseSusan

What's so terrible about Brisbane? (I ask as an ignorant American.)

Post 272

tanzen

I don't mean it smiley - angel I've heard many lovely things about Brisbane, and Queensland in general, and I've only ever been there for two hours (In the airport smiley - biggrin)

..too hot for me though...

Post 273

A Super Furry Animal

I've never been to Brissie. I am unaware of anything else significant that's come from there, that's all. Here, MuseSusan...smiley - flansmiley - tomatosmiley - tennisball catch!

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 274

tanzen

*tries to dodge items thrown by Reddyfreddy*

smiley - borg

Post 275

Beatrice

Oi oi oi!

I'm due to visit one of my best friends in Brisbane this year!

Now wouldnt you be impressed if she went to school with the cousin of the first girlfriend of the guy who used to live next door to Powderfinger's bass player, eh? eh?

Post 276

tanzen

Yeah, I'm well impressed...confused...but impressed...smiley - laugh

Post 277

MuseSusan

By the way, Lucky Star, there is a "claim to fame" thread going on on Ask H2G2; you could mention that! smiley - smiley

Ach! RF, don't throw things at me! I'm terribly unathletic, and I can't catch a tennis ball from five feet away, much less a tomato!

Post 278

tanzen

*hands MuseSusan her tennis racquet*

If you can't whack them, just shield your face smiley - ok!

Post 279

MuseSusan

Great! Thanks! (If RF gets close enough, I'll just whack him instead.)

Post 280

tanzen

That's an even better idea smiley - laugh!

Key: Complain about this post