A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2221

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Indeed I have. As well as Smoke and Mirrors a collection of excellent short stories and Stardust a beautifully done fantasy Fairy novel and Coraline a rather dark children's story.

smiley - peacedove

Post 2222

Metal Chicken

Neil Gaiman's Stardust was indeed a very cute story and managed not to be twee in the telling. smiley - ok
Just starting something by Liz Williams called The Poison Master. Thinking of getting into Bill Bryson's A Short Histoy of Nearly Everything next.

Post 2223

Sho - employed again!

Having whipped through about 4 Sharpes in the last week, I'm now on Sharpe's Prey. Nearly finished the series smiley - sadface

Also reading Morality For Beautiful Girls - 3rd in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, and just as good as the other 2 I've read.

I've just got back from a week in the UK, where I just handed over my salary to the nice lady at Waterstones in exchange for a suitcaseful of books. Now I just have to explain to the Gruesome Twosome why we have to live on rice and beans for the rest of the month!

Post 2224

hellboundforjoy

Still reading "Flu" - got bogged down, but have to finish it cause somenone else wants it.

Also reading a highschool level text book sort of thing about the Holocaust camps and just finished another book about the Holocaust called "Night"

Post 2225

Gahariet

Monstrous Regiment , Terry Pratchett
The Player of Games, Iain M Banks
The Years of Rice and Salt, Kim Stanley Robinson
80 Not Out, Patrick Moore

Post 2226

Narapoia

About to start the new Iain M Banks, The Algebraist, even thought I haven't worked out how to pronounce it yet...

Post 2227

A Super Furry Animal

I've just finished a book called "The Frumious Bandersnatch" by Ed McBain. Apparently, one of a series of bokks he's written. Anyway, this one has made me firmly of the opinion that it, and the rest of the series, should be avoided like the plague. Unless it's a post-post-post-modern ironic twist, I can't see how it would be possible to write this badly, and get published. It was really crap. Hope no-one's unclear about my opinion of this book.

On the plus side, I have a nice, shiny copy of Banksie's The Algebraist* next to my bedside. Don't want to start it tonight, though, as I don't think I'll get any sleep if I do.

* Al-jeb-ray-ist is how I'm pronouncing it. Stress on 1st and 3rd syllables.

Post 2228

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Inheritamce - Simon Brown (awesome! I began it in January, put it aside and then picked it up again. It's brilliant! smiley - magic)

The Real Michael Hutchence - Tina Hutchence and Patricia Glossop. Biography.

Post 2229

Narapoia

Thanks for the pronunciation tip RF! More or less what I'd concluded, but how often does one find oneself having to say such a word out loud?!
I now have a dilemma (well, not much of one really as you will see.) I've just received The Confusion and The System of the World via Amazon for my birthday, with a note saying that there's another parcel coming separately. I'm guessing that this will contain Quicksilver, as I suggested that my other half might like to get these for me. So, do I wait and see if it arrives soon and start that lot, or do I start on The Algebraist? I still have a couple of chapters of the Amin Malouf left.
Decisions decisions...

Post 2230

Nbcdnzr, the dragon was slain, and there was much rejoicing

I've almost finished Lords and Ladies, by Terry Pratchett. It's a Dutch translation, sadly, although the name of the translator almost makes up for that: Venogopalan Ittekot.

After that I'm going to start in the third trilogy by Robin Hobb, with Fool's Errand. I'm hoping it will be as good as the assassin trilogy. I really liked the first person perspective. Authors don't use it enough (not in fantasy at least).

Post 2231

A Super Furry Animal

About halfway through The Algebraist now, by the aforementioned Iain M Banks.

A criticism I noted when buying this book (from a review in Amazon) was that it takes 100 pages just to set the scene. Well, yes, this is true, but it does so in a typically Banksian way, so your attention is never allowed to wander. And page 140 *really* got my attention! smiley - biggrin

I'm now up to the almost unputdownable stage, so may noty get much sleep tonight.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2232

dasilva

Just finished: Long Way Round (MacGregor and Boorman) - makes me just wanna get on me boik an' roid, roid, roid smiley - biggrin

About to start: Around Alone (Emma Richards) - the good looking one of Britain's ace solo yachtswomen goes around the world. Alone. Does exactly what it says on the ti..cover, I mean cover. Ok it was a freebie from work but I'd have bought it anyway (actually I put in for two but they'd only supply one, even to those who didn't want it smiley - erm)

Post 2233

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

(Name drops) I used to work with Emma Richard's little sister. Nice lassie!

Post 2234

dasilva

My company sponsors (and names) her boat, though I'm just and underling several hundred rugs down the ladder so I'll probably not ge the pleasure. Ah well. smiley - laugh

If it's namedropping we're doing though, I had the same first boss as Black Sabbath (not at the same timw htough) smiley - biggrin

And now we return you, to your usual programme.

Post 2235

Little Miss- Get well soon Kylie.XXX

Just finished reading Bridget Jones:Edge of Reason (going to watch it on on on Friday!)smiley - boingsmiley - boing I'm now reading Learning to Fly by Victoria Beckham.

Post 2236

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

still reading the guide smiley - erm

Post 2237

Ged42

No Go the Bogeyman by Marina Warner, its a book about symbolism of monsters in children's fairy tales. Its research for my dissertation and is actually surprisingly interesting. smiley - monster

Post 2238

A Super Furry Animal

Finished The Algebraist at 2am last night. Ho yus. What a book! Go read. On e of Banks's finest.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2239

MuseSusan

Reading Jane Eyre right now, just finished rereading The Black Tulip by Alexander Dumas. Wonderful story, and besides, I'm doing a project involving a musical based on the book.

Which reminds me: Nbcdnzr, in your last post you mentioned reading a Dutch translation. So I assume you know Dutch, and I'm wondering if you can help me translate a letter/email into Dutch. It has to do with the project I'm doing; the story takes place in Holland, and I'm doing research on the location. Just post a message on my space, U519947 .

Post 2240

aka Bel - A87832164

Read Porterhouse Blue and nearly finished Blott On The Landscape - both Tom Sharpe - can't recall when I last laughed so much.

Key: Complain about this post