A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2281

Lizzbett

I'm currently reading 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' by Kate Atkinson. I'm enjoying it although I am struggling to keep up with the large number of characters.

Post 2282

Baconlefeets

Life of Pi again. I can't seem to find a book I want to read latelysmiley - erm

Post 2283

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Life of Pi is such a great book. I keep forgetting to pick it up from my mum's so I can read it again smiley - biggrin

I'm currently reading a collection of short stories by Jeffrey Deaver. Never been into thrillers/suspense as such but he's very good smiley - ok

Post 2284

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Just finished 'Body Politic' by Paul Johnston - a detective yarn set in a near future in which the UK has broken up and Edinburgh is governed by 'The Enlightenment'. OK, I suppose - although it reminded me why I don't read much 'genre' fiction: Too much exposition of back story; too much 'willling suspension of disbelief' required.

Previously, 'The Fortunes of War' - one of the 20 volume Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. It's only the second one I've read - but I'm beginning to see how they can become addictive.

Currently - 'Little Wilson and Big God' - autobiography by Anthony Burgess. I have a suitably large dictionary on standby.

Post 2285

A Super Furry Animal

Whistled my way through The Well Of Lost Plots, Jasper Fforde, a couple of days ago. What a great book! Made me want to go out and get the earlier ones in the series (which is what I should've done in the first place, I suppose.

Currently just getting to the end of Olivier Joules And The Overactive Imagination - Helen Fielding. Whilst no-one would accuse this of being high literature, it's a rollicking good yarn! smiley - winkeye

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2286

Have you checked out http://www.jasperfforde.com ? Some great pictures of Swindon there, and other Thursday Next stuff.

Post 2287

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Just finished Q by Luther Blissett (the Italian collective entity rather than the footballer)

fascinating book
at the back theres what appears to be a photo of Munster Cathedral with the cages in which the corpses of the leaders of the Anabaptist rebellion were displayed
does anyone know if the cages are still there?

Post 2288

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Just started 'The Full Cupboard of Life' by Alexander McCall Smith and there is mention of a 'No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' TV series being made smiley - smiley

Post 2289

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Contact Imminent, by Kristine Smith. SF (of course) I have to say it's pretty weird! (I've just started it.)

Post 2290

Metal Chicken

Just finished "The Northern Lights" by Lucy Jago, a biography of Kristian Birkeland, the Norwegian scientist who came up with the explanation for the spectacular phenomenon of the Aurora Borealis. Picked up at the airport as holiday reading, inspired by my recent sighting of the Aurora smiley - ok

Post 2291

A Super Furry Animal

Tears Of The Giraffe, Alexander McCall Smith - the second book in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. Again, I haven't read the first book, but so far this seems unimportant. Anyone read any of these? What do you think?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2292

Jim Lynn

Just finished 'Notes from a Small Island' by Bill Bryson. Now on 'Espedair Street' by Iain Banks.

Post 2293

A Super Furry Animal

Espedair Street is probably my favourite Banks book. Enjoy! smiley - biggrin

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2294

If you liked Tears of the Giraffe you'll like the rest. I liked them, every comment on this thread I've seen has been favourable.

Currently reading 'The Floating Book' by Michelle Lovric, about love, sex and printing in 15th century Venice. Not my usual sort of thing but beautifully written.

Post 2295

tyrone

Return of the Exile ; raymond fiest; good so far just a little predicable is all.

Post 2296

Propotnik

The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde. A very clever and funny book.

Post 2297

A good thing about Espedair Street is that as you walk around Glasgow (and Paisley) you can recognise many of the landmarks described. The Griffin pub, for example. It's even better in The Crow Road where Banks describes in detail the drive from Glasgow to 'Garlanach'. The sharp bend past Rest and be Thankful is just as he describes!

Post 2298

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

D&D 3.5 Monster Manual... smiley - geek

Post 2299

Little Mischief

Currently on Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey, working my way through the trilogy for the second time. smiley - ok

Also reading Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, of which my expectations were way too high.

Post 2300

Bold Ferret - God of Three Sided Squares, Helium Filled Lemmings and A Slightly Bent Teaspoon

I'm slowly ploughing through "The Templars" by Piers Paul Read.
Started getting into my history (and I can hear the yawns from here smiley - winkeye)

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more