A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2201

Narapoia

Finished Monstrous Regiment - great stuff, well up to standard.
Now started Robert Rankin's Knees Up Mother Earth, but had to go to the smoke today and didn't want to lug a hardback around so took Amin Malouf's book about Mani (as in Manichean) but I can't remember what it's called. From the ridiculous to the sublime, but at least I'm unlikely to get the plots mixed up!

Post 2202

invisibleknight

Going Postal by terry Pratchett (for the 4th time)
and i still don't get the parrot reference

Post 2203

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Finished 'The Long Dark Tea Time of The Soul' enjoyed it muchly... Then I read 'Preludes and Nocturns' > Neil Gaiman and have now started on the only Robert Rankin novel to have evaded me, 'The Greatest Show Off Earth'.

smiley - peacedove

Post 2204

Sho - employed again!

currently reading Sharpe's Triumph (more about Sharpe in India) and The Tears of the Giraffe.

Post 2205

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

I'm not reading *all* of these at the moment...but these are what I've acquired in a brief spending spree (fortunately, some in 2nd-hand shops) and are now piled up, waiting for spare moments:

A Peoples' History of the United States by Howard Zinn (very good!)

The Rise of Mumbo Jumbo by Francis Wheen

One of Patrick O'Brian's books about 19thC nautical adventures (I forget the name . There's about 20 in the series. The one after 'Desolation Island', which is the only other one I've read)

Little Wilson and Big God by Anthony Burgess

Anthony Burgess (Author forgotten. The biography by the guy that hated him)

The Attack on America by Philip Roth (I'm really looking forward to this one. It had excellent reviews)

The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford

Cuba Libre by Elmore Leonard

The Illuminatus Trilogy (smiley - skull pirate .pdf download ! smiley - skull)

Post 2206

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

What a great selection, Edward! I am about to start Good Omens, by Gaiman and Pratchett, which I found in a carton of my brother's books...
That is, after I finish a wonderful novel by David Gemmell, that I got for 0.50c in a library throw out sale, never a dud by David Gemmell, though I have never read a whole series by him. smiley - magic

Post 2207

fords - number 1 all over heaven

You'll love Good Omens, Adelaide smiley - ok

Post 2208

A Super Furry Animal

Just finished Picnic At Hanging Rock. What a thoroughly good book.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 2209

I was going to start on Brighton Rock but I've bloody lost it! smiley - wah

Post 2210

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

Not actually that typical of Greene in many ways. It's worth reading, but not (in my opinion) Greene's best book. He divided his own work up into 'serious' books and 'diversions'. I actually think that many of the diversions are better than the serious ones. I really loved 'Our Man In Havana'

Post 2211

I *did* Brighton Rock at University - what a downer, and how brilliant! At the moment, I have too much to read! Two Phillip K Dick books (why do library reserves all come at once?) Good Omens, the David Gemmell, and a few more. Frustrating!

Post 2212

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

I think 'The Power and the Glory' is my favourite of his.
Made a mistake and went into Waterstones yesterday and left with 6 books (with my b'day and Xmas coming up too). Been dipping into 'Love all the People', a collection of stuff by Bill Hicks, a wickedly funny man.

Post 2213

Nexton

Fatal Harvest

It's a book about the impact of the industrealization of aggriculture on our eco and social systmes. WOW smiley - wowthats a mouthfull. There's alot of propaganda in it but there are a few good points mixed in so I've kept reading it.

Post 2214

a_random_person

i've just finished the curious incident of the dog in the night time. for some reason i thought it was going to be rubbish but it was actually really good. i ended up finishing it in 2 days! i would definately reccomend it if you havn't already read it.

Post 2215

tyrone

DUNE- THE BATTLE OF CORIN ; and LAROUSSE GASTROMONIQUE; well I am a chef!

Post 2216

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The Myth of Solid Ground - he wrotes a whole book about earthquakes without once mentioning anywhere outside the USA. How is that possible? (Okay, he mentions Japan in passing, in the context of nutcases who believe they can predict 'quakes, but nowhere else!) smiley - aliensmile

Post 2217

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Finished 'Greatest Show Off Earth' damn fine!
Also finished 'Stardust', 'The Sandman: The Doll's House' and The Sandman: Dream Country' all by Niel Gaiman.

smiley - peacedove

Post 2218

I love the Sandman novels, Neil Gaiman has a fantastic talent smiley - ok

Post 2219

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Indeed, I find reading him, his style and his ideas, they touch me or connect with something deep inside. His works are soul-food.

smiley - peacedove

Post 2220

Ged42

Has anyone read any Neil Gaimans non-Sandman stuff. American Gods and Neverwhere are fantastic.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more