A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2161

intelligent moose (the one true H2G2 Moose)

I'm about half way through "Foundation and Empire" by Isaac Asimov. Read it straight after "Foundation" which suprised me by being A) very good and B)nothing like I expected. I rather like all the political intrigue (and all the space ships and stuff are pretty incidental really)

Post 2162

Edward the Bonobo - Gone.

There is a (respectable) theory that al Qaeeda were influenced by Asimov. One translation of al Q is 'The Foundation'.

Post 2163

Elentari

The Iliad. I keep getting annoyed because it uses the same phrases all the time, though I guess being composed as an oral poem, Homer proably wanted to keep things simple! smiley - smiley The other thing is that in the middle of battle, whenever anyone is killed, the other person starts taking off their armour. Only about twice have they had to stop becasue it would be too dangerous. In the middle of a battle!

And What If, which is a cllection of essays (but is very accessible) about how things would be different if various turning points in history had either not occured, or occured differently.

Both recommended.

Post 2164

Surely the whole Psychohistory theory in Foundation is based around the idea that violent intervention is useless - it never works in any of the sub-stories. I hardly see Al Qua'eda attempting to dominate the west by trading and economics. What does this theory say?

Post 2165

Surely the whole Psychohistory theory in Foundation is based around the idea that small scale violent intervention is useless - it never works in any of the sub-stories. I hardly see Al Qua'eda attempting to dominate the west by trading and economics. What does this theory say?

Post 2166

Grr, double post, that's annoying.

Post 2167

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy of four by the late great douglas adams for the first time smiley - brave and its brilliant i didnt think it would live up to the hype but it has so far anyway.

Post 2168

I think, moose, is the idea that the class of young Saudis behind al Q grew up at a time when SF was popular and influential, and they absorbed it along with many other western influences. Also, they see their brand of Wahabism as a 'rational' alternative to the discord in the world (I'm not saying I agree with them!!)

I heard about it via a radio interview and a couple of newspaper columns by Giles Foden, who wrote the novel 'Zanzibar' about the US embassy bombings. I think, though, that he was reporting on someone else's ideas.

Post 2169

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Don't you mean trilogy of five? smiley - winkeye

Post 2170

Narapoia

I remember a time when there were only 4, and available in one paperback. Our DNA virgin may have got hold of an old copy.

So now you know what we're on about, eh, himura?
(Is that right? Or is that your surname/family name?)

Post 2171

just a prefix, himura is fine.smiley - biggrin

Post 2172

i realised there was five in the trilogy (what a mad notion) thanks for all the fish (which to show off a bit now im reading the book refers to what the second most intelligent species on earth dolphins, tried to tell the people but was misconcepted as a extremelly complicated quadruple backflip through a hoop while whistling the star spangled banner <or summit to that effect&gtsmiley - winkeye and it being payday i can afford it so ill have all five yipeesmiley - cheers

Post 2173

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I think this theory about Al Quaeda is fairly unlikely, Edward, as I tend to wonder if there is any such entity! But the sf idea is interesting...

Post 2174

heartogld

I'm re-reading Chronicles of Narnia, Lion Witch and Wardrobe

Post 2175

Nexton

I just started reading: "I Have Landed" by Stephen J. Gould

so far it's great!

Post 2176

Sho - employed again!

just replying to Edward's post about the Ragged Trousered... , Paul Foot and the painter.

A lot of the point of the book, from what I gather from the introduction and the small part i've read, is that it should be a manual on how to bodge, because that's how the wages were kept down (by using labourers rather than craftsmen) and how the profits were kept high (using 3 coats of thinnded down paint where 5 had been contracted)

anyhooo

Finished, last night, the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.

All I can say is that everyone should read this, it's absolutely fantastic.

How accurate is the view inside the head of the boy, Christopher?

Post 2177

Teuchter

Currently reading 'Pompei' by Robert Harris.

Only about 100 pages in as yet but hooked by the details of the aquaduct system and the sense of impending doom.

Post 2178

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

I heard a radio adaptation of Pompeii on the BBC WS at the beginning of the year - awesome! I have the book on my "to read" list...
Currently, I am reading 'Actual Innocence' by the guys who run the Innocence Project (see my Edited Guide Entry at A666164. (Advertising a bit there.) A very disturbing book...

Post 2179

Elentari

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time is great. I listened to it as an audibook on holiday. Christoper is such an orignal narrator, seeing things from his POV is fascinating!

Post 2180

This weekend haveing been the 100th anniversary of Graham Greene's birth, I've been spurred to read some of his that I haven't got around to yet. Of the many I've already read, some of my favourites have been (in no particular order):

The Human Factor
The Comedians
Our Man in Havana
The Heart of the Matter
The Captain and the Enemy
Travels with My Aunt.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more