A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What drives you absolutely spare?

Post 161

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Okay, I have a new whinge -- getting an attrocious hair cut, which the hair dresser blows-dries the dickens out of so you can't tell how bad it is. Then when you get home, you realize you actually paid a GRATUITY for the disaster currently occupying your head!

SC smiley - planet

Post 162

Sho - employed again!

People (they know who they are) who drive on your bumper flashing while you overtake (at about 80mph) a slow moving convoy of lorries.
Not being able to remember things (I don't know some days if I'm suffering from Alzheimer's or Porridge Brain Syndrome)

Post 163

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

My speling (ok I am dislexic but it is still crappy)
My home town (if you lived here you would under stand liverpool itself is great but her is boring)
Docters with the God syndrome (you know the sort shurly)

Post 164

magrat

being known as the 'redneck' state (western australia) (okay so maybe a few more people than other states voted for Pauline hanson, but its not all us!!)
and my hand getting pins and needles from leaning on it.

Post 165

Andy

People forgetting to put sugar in my coffee...
Or putting too much in there.

Post 166

Zak T Duck

Have to agree with MaW with WinME. Completely incompatible with java, MS-DOS and more worryingly, Office and Visual Studio. What good is an OS that you can't use? Yet another marketing scam from Micros**t.

Post 167

Andy

Use Linux!

Post 168

Zak T Duck

Having a computer set up by PCWorld to prevent dual booting to Linux, so I'm adding PCWorld to my rant.

Post 169

Deano (Keeper of lemonade)

Croz, why did you substitute the 'o' and 'f' with *'s in 'Microsoft' smiley - winkeye?

Post 170

MaW

Because in some circles it's considered a rude word, I would guess.

PC World set up your computer so you can't dual-boot? May I suggest reformatting the hard disk? Preferably repartitioning it first to make sure every trace of PC World mess is destroyed... What drives me absolutely spare is the "recovery" CDs provided by PC vendors that don't let you reinstall Windows if you need to (and all Windows users will need to eventually, especially me) because they only work by booting off them - and then they wipe your hard disk and return the computer to the state it was in when it left the factory, complete with incompatible hardware drivers, etc. etc. etc. I mean, what if you've got a new graphics card or something?

I don't care if it costs more, but I would never buy a whole computer as a package. I'd buy the bits and build it myself. At least then I'd get something half-decent.

And I wouldn't have to pay for loads of useless software either. Nor would I have to buy Windows if I didn't want it!

Post 171

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

1.) The Windows Blue-Screen of Death... smiley - steam

This one got mentioned but I'm suprised it didn't emerge again....

2.) Mobile phones.
Nothing against the idea, probably very clever but it's generally the people who have and insit on using them at the most tactless and inapropriate places and times. I was in the bath *soaking* smiley - biggrin when someone in the cubicle next to me stirs me from my reverie to discuss - at length - Aunt Shelia's wedding and the new baby. smiley - skull And then there are the rings people have. If I hear another tinny rendition of Tocatta and Fugue in D minor bleeping *very* loudly while I'm on the bus or in a lecture; I'll, I'll.....*urrgh*! smiley - cross

3.)TXT MSGS.
An extention to Mobile phones. People no longer need to ring each other up every once for every hour there is in the in the day, no! Instead, they can *beep-beep* their clandestine discussions to each other and do so under the illusion that they are being discreet. This happens especially at cinemas or in my halls of residence: during the weekly video there are some people who will then after sending text messages during the first hour will recieve phone calls (I speculate probably from the same people) half-way through a film and then answer it in the room while the film is playing! CAN'T THEY EVER TURN THEM OFF!!!!!? smiley - grrsmiley - grr

4.) Mobile phone shops.
If I can't object to the pernicious advance of the mobile phone here I may very well have a *twitch* episode. *twitch* *twitch* smiley - puff
They are EVERYWHERE. There are at least...um....6 different mobile phone shops in the town where I live. Very good for the consumer and all that but this is a newly re-developed area that previously was rather run-down and it is now home to three computer shops (two the SAME company: different bits) and the mobile phone stores. With sales and offers that bombard you from all directions that are the absolutle last thing I want to know about. I am not in need of nor want a 'hands-free kit' thank you very much. smiley - steam

RIGHT smiley - grr I'm calm now....smiley - online2long

Clive smiley - smiley

Post 172

Pink Paisley

Yes a male complaint. I'm a man. I couldn't possibly think of sitting down that would not be manly AND (see 2Legs post140) after XXX it would go straight up in the air if you were sitting down! Oh dear mods are bound to pull this sooner or later!

Pink

Post 173

You can call me TC

smiley - erm

Post 174

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

?

Post 175

Dinsdale Piranha

The moderators. They mangled my bit on Flanders and Swann. I had the audacity to reproduce the lyrics to 'A Song of Patriotic Prejudice', which, for those unfamiliar with it, begins 'The English, the English, the English are best...'

I was at pains to point out in the original article that the lyrics should not be taken seriously, and were actually intended to send up the attitudes of those who really think like this.

The irony is that the article now ends with the words '...their humour was gentle and inoffensive...'

Not inoffensive enough it seems.

Post 176

Potholer

It seems that currently they're also unsure about a conversation posting of mine where I expressed my very restrained, utterly non-person-specific, and widely shared cynicism about money and political influence.

Post 177

Zak T Duck

They even remove perfectly legitimate blobs from user spaces and replace them with [EXTERNAL PICTURE], just because it is a meetup photograph.

smiley - grr

Post 178

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I am feeling a bit left out, I haven't had a single thing moderated yet, as far as I know, so here goes, apart from moderation, what p****s me off is people who use mobile phones in the wrong places; outside, in the pub, resturants, near me, etc, etc, I mean they only ever talk about " I'me in the pub", or "have you heard about Kevin," ETC.

Post 179

NexusSeven

I think the inexplicable post above by Mr Pink-Paisley is referring to the very irritating and male-specific problem of needing a wee whilst in a state of arousal. Getting anything 'on target' is practically impossible, so it's a case of thinking of unsexy things and hoping that detumescence occurs before one's bladder bursts.

What will the moderators make of *that*, I wonder. smiley - winkeye

Post 180

Wand'rin star

All men named Kevinsmiley - star

Key: Complain about this post