A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Deliberately provoking

Post 3281

Wand'rin star

Thank you wrongly spelt one. Plausible, but I had a feeling it was older than tailcoats smiley - star

Fanning the flames

Post 3282

Solsbury

As there are a number of fan clubs here on H2G2, what is the origins of the word fan.
I'm interested to find out about fan as in the wafting of fronds to create a cool breeze (or give extra air to raise the heat in the fire).

Fanning the flames

Post 3283

Wand'rin star

Fan as in fan club is short for fanatic.Fan as in fantail is a pigeon. Fan as in fan dance is the least you can get away with.smiley - star

Fanning the flames

Post 3284

Solsbury

Is the fantail of the pigeon (or peacock) named after the thing that when wafted keeps you cool or the other way round?

Fanning the flames

Post 3285

Mycroft

Fan comes from the Latin vannus, which was a basket used for winnowing (to separate wheat from chaff by shaking). The English verb also had (and still has) this meaning, and it came to be used with reference to a variety of other similar actions.

I know you didn't ask for it, but a fan in the sense of a truncated fanatic comes from the Latin fanaticus, meaning a devotee or acolyte, itself derived from fanum, meaning temple.

Deliberately provoking

Post 3286

beanfoto

Was that cat tails or Englishmens?
( non discriminatory musings - how do you dig potatoes wearing "top hat , white tie and tails" (lie it on me Ginger!)?)

Deliberately provoking

Post 3287

Mycroft

Is that literal or figurative potato-digging?

Deliberately provoking

Post 3288

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

I happily concur with Wsmiley - star and Mycrosofty on the entymology of 'fan' but feel it necessary to add ..the usage first originated in the British press to describe those attending a series of semi-legal and bloody boxing matches prior to the Queensbury rules and padded gloves.
All manner of Victorian society was addicted to these blood baths, which lasted dozens of rounds and often proved fatal. Kings and prionces rubbed elbows with all sorts. The word fan was meant to imply that the fever, the madness and enthusiasm for watching men pummel each other toward death, crossed all the social barriers from the regal to the frugal. A new word, a classless word, was needed to describe the universality of this perversion.
peace
jwf

Deliberately provoking

Post 3289

Orcus

Was that princes or ponces you meant Jwf? smiley - winkeye

Deliberately provoking

Post 3290

Mycroft

John, your post is suffused with enough temporal and spatial anomalies to fill a couple of Star Trek episodes. The first recorded use of 'fann' was in a 1682 edition of 'New news from Bedlam', almost two centuries before the Marquis of Queensberry put his name to the proposition that boxers' boots should not have springs in them. The word did not trouble typesetters again until 1892, when the modern spelling of fan was coined in America, rapidly achieving widespread usage.

Orcus, given the Victorian setting, surely "queens and ponces" would be the most appropriate interpretation.

Deliberately provoking

Post 3291

Cor! Three typos had I then! smiley - flustered Good thing this ain't baseball.
Folks'll git the depression I kent spel. But it's these damn fingers of mine. They're forever dune that. And it's not one-o-them freudian slipperies either. Honest secretarial errors, honest.
'Humble jalopies' (as Tefkat would say) to Mycroft, the Marquis of Queensberry and princes everywhere. smiley - laugh
smiley - peacedove
~j~

Deliberately provoking

Post 3292

I got one that's been bugging me from Coronation Street.
'box clever'
Is it just Manchester or more widespread?
Any relation to thinking outside the clever box?
Chinese puzzle boxes?

smiley - peacedove
~jwf~

Deliberately provoking

Post 3293

Gnomon - time to move on

"Box clever" has certainly not stretched across the water as far as Ireland (the vast distance of 267 km).

Deliberately provoking

Post 3294

Munchkin

Is it not "boxing clever"? As in not being hit by the other bloke?

Deliberately provoking

Post 3295

beanfoto

No mate, Oi use a spade.

Deliberately provoking

Post 3296

beanfoto

Not knowing the context, I wouldn't have thought it was current colloqual english ( hey that word is hard to type!) but it is fairly standard english from god knows when.

Pulling no punches

Post 3297

Spiff

For me 'boxing clever' suggests not just going crashing in with a haymaker! You know, 'duckin' n divin', in 'n' out. Weave, bob and jab.

Don't know what the context was on Corry, but I generally take it to mean 'playing it carefully while still looking for your chances'.

anyone completely disagree? smiley - smiley

Spiff

Pulling no punches

Post 3298

'boxing'? Hmmm..?
On Corry I'm sure they just say 'box clever'.
It can be used sincerely as in:
"Oh, that was box clever, son." when someone does something creative, innovative or helpful. Or the same words are used with an ironic, sarcastic or facetious tone when the results are not as successful.

The phrase 'Oh, you played a blinder there, mate.' is used in both ways too. It's amazing that the exact same words can have opposite meanings just by the tone of the speaker.

*Now I'm thinking that irony isn't always sarcastic and and sarcasm isn't always ironic - but when they coincide, as in the examples above - is that when we say 'facetious'?*

~j~

Pulling no punches

Post 3299

Mycroft

Pulling no punches

Post 3300

Mycroft

smiley - doh

Box clever is almost certainly unrelated to pugilism, as the use of the phrase predates the usage of boxing in that context by a couple of centuries. Unfortunately, all the meanings of box which predate box clever aren't likely sources either. The best candidate I can find is box from the Spanish bojar, meaning to sail around, which made its way into English almost contemporaneously with (but not quite) boxing clever. There are a fair few early nautical expressions featuring box which could have similar connotations to boxing clever, such as to box the compass, meaning to recite the 32 points of the compass forwards and backwards. To call someone boxing clever could well have meant they were a good navigator.

Key: Complain about this post