A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Cleverly does it!

Post 3321

plaguesville

Hi, Ben,

I find it hard to believe that you have only just landed here 'cos I've seen you in lots of other places; but if that is the case, here is a precis:
this is volume 2
volume 1 (of greater size) is "in moderation" and "the boys" are preparing to make the PTB an offer that can't be refused if it's not returned soon, and in good condition
there are continual threats to provide an index for that (phew!)
our threadmother - Kaeori - is currently reorganising America but will return to restore order / provide inspiration.

In her absence, park yer carcase, share and enjoy.

Cleverly does it!

Post 3322

You can call me TC

Hello everybody. I'm keeping out of this one, because in my linguistic diaspora the expression "box clever" has never raised its head.

So I will sit back with a smiley - cappuccino and wait for the next topic. Welcome, beth.

Cleverly does it!

Post 3323

a girl called Ben

Hi plaguesville, hi ~jwf~, hi everyone

Consider my carcase parked.

I have subcribed and unsubcribed to this thread a couple of times in the past. I just thought I'd be polite and knock on the door this time. It combines being fast-moving with a relavent backlog - it doesn't really matter if you don't take a forensic look at the stuff you miss in most of the other fastmoving threads. Here it matters rather more.

For what it is worth I had always assumed that box-clever came from boxing. And since boxing was followed by the working class and the unemployed sporting male aristocracy (probably the most illiterate two groups in 19th Century England) I assumed that the -ly ending was either dropped, or never used. But this is rampant assumption, and bears no relationship to reality.

Ben

Cleverly does it!

Post 3324

a girl called Ben

subsribed to and unsubsribed from...

why is it so much easer to spot typos in Ariel than Courier?

smiley - blush

B

Darn those prepositions, eh!

Post 3325

Spiff

hi Ben,

I wouldn't call that a typo so much as a thorny problem with multiple prepositions. It crops up quite often, I think, and in spoken language I suspect many native-speakers allow themselves to use only one or the other of the prepositions concerned.

Spiff *trying to think of a good example*

Cleverly does it!

Post 3326

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

>why is it so much easer to spot typos in Ariel than Courier?<

Uhm ..because Couriers (supposedly) are on the move smiley - run and everything's just a blur, while Ariels smiley - angelare merely hovering overhead where you can look straight up their ...smiley - yikes
smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Cleverly does it!

Post 3327

Mycroft

Uranus?

Cleverly does it!

Post 3328

Beth

Well Uranus has about 20 satellites so you are sure to be mooned no matter how you look at it.

Cleverly does it!

Post 3329

Gnomon - time to move on

A classic moment in my life was a trip to Armagh Observatory and Planetarium with my (then) five-year old daughter. Outside the observatory was a scale model of the solar system (for the pedants here, the planets were made to one scale and their orbits around the sun were at a different scale). My daughter selected one of the outer planets, a gas giant, perched on it and demanded in a loud voice "Guess what I'm sitting on!". smiley - biggrin

Cleverly does it!

Post 3330

a girl called Ben

This made me yelp out loud with joyous laughter. Your daughter is a star, and I forsee great things for her.

B

Cleverly does it!

Post 3331

plaguesville

G.

Don't talk to me about daughters.
Mine, when about seven, went on an "exciting" fairground ride with her mother because I declined to engage my digestive system in an unfair competition. Afterwards, she regarded me seriously and asked:
"Daddy, why are you a boring old fart?"
smiley - laugh

BOF

Post 3332

Wand'rin star

Was "boring old fart" as a phrase around pre Will Carling's characterisation of the rugby establishment? smiley - star

BOF

Post 3333

Mycroft

While he didn't coin the phrase, the presiding Judge Argyll was celebratedly referred to as "a boring old fart" by Marty Feldman whilst appearing for the defence in the Oz Trial.

BOF

Post 3334

beanfoto

Furst I want the address of whoever called us 19th sentry wurking klas ill litterhate!
Secondly, as that classifies me as old, How old do farts get?

BOF

Post 3335

Wand'rin star

A working definition of "old" is five years older than the speaker - at least a third of the population, I reckon smiley - star

BOF

Post 3336

beanfoto

No star, I was musing on a bit of physics in the area of noncontained gaseous substances.
And in my own mind, sometimes I think bits of me are old. ( Probably the bits that don't see how you can pick anyone up in a nightclub with all that noise....).

Tackiness

Post 3337

Wand'rin star

OIC Bean. I would've thought it impossible for a fart to be older than your last meal, but I'm sure one of the resident experts will be along directly.
The current chat on the front page about tackiness prompted me to look it up. I thought it would be connected with that song about "Little boxes made of ticky tacky" but it's much older: seemingly in the 19th century US it was "a weak or inferior quality horse" Anyone else have difficulty believing that one? smiley - star

Tackiness

Post 3338

beanfoto

I know the song's Tom Paxtons but to my mind tack is what you put on a horse, and what you look after it with ( curry combs etc.)

Tackiness

Post 3339

a girl called Ben

Well, if a hack is a riding horse, then a tack could be a poor quality one, I guess.

Ben

Tacky

Post 3340

Gnomon - time to move on

Tacky - a low-class person (1862). That's what my dictionary says. Makes more sense than the horse business which sounds confused with tack.

Key: Complain about this post