A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Advertising stupidity - now with added Title

Post 661

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Talking of things scatological who for Bob’s sake needs to take anti-diarrhoea potions to get on with everyday life. If you’ve got persistent diarrhoea you’re ill.

Post 662

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

From the Microbiologist's viewpoint:

Diarrhoea is there for a reason - to expel bacteria. Stop the diarrhoea, retain the bacteria...

Post 663

Yael Smith

Oh, the kittens and puppies remind me of this fantastic novel that starts with the story of the Prince of somewhere or other that has servants carryingn ducks everywhere so they can have ducklings for him to wipe his a$$ with. smiley - laugh
Cocoa Pops!smiley - grr I'd kill the damn monkey if I could. The aligator's cute-ish though. And I actually love the one with TOM (the nagging mum), just for the last scene where he nods to the insurance people, says "alright?" and walks off, still oblivious to his attention deprived mum.

Post 664

grr

smiley - rofl
The Swift adverts. I can't put my finger on it though.

Post 665

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The one that really bugs me at the moment is the Persil with Febreeze Effect advert where the kid, having finished sniffing the sofa sticks a pair of pants on his head so he can sniff them.

Maybe in 20 years time they'll do a follow up advert where the kid is grown up, has an underwear fetish and is stealing knickers from people's washing lines.

Post 666

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

smiley - erm

That's a fetish?

Sorry, I thought I was normal...

smiley - run

Post 667

invisibleknight

My new currant annoying one would be the ad for Strongbow where to "prove" how refreshed the guy is after just 1 sip of his expensive gut rot cider he's going "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for about 50 minutes (condensed into a short ad of course).
then someone asks him to go buy crisps?
Instead of punching him in the face to stop him making that STUPID NOISE!

Post 668

Yael Smith

smiley - laugh in the words of mr. Winner:
"Calm down, dear, it's only a commercial!"

Post 669

Rains - Wondering where time's going and why it's in so much of a hurry!

I saw a great (yes, really) advert on Eurosport at the weekend, with Moto GP champion Nicky Hayden taking the mickey out of himself doing a parody of those spray cleaning product ads to plug (insert manufacturer name here) tyres as having better wet grip.

I'm glad to see those Michael Winner ads have left the telly, they really annoyed me!

Post 670

Beer Elf

It's the cleaning ones that I like, when that mad guy comes on and yells at you to buy his stuff! smiley - biggrin

I cannot be doing with the "borrow money against your house so that you can buy more stuff" ones especially the one with the Northern English Mum with the hard of thinking family "Josh! your Dad's found your scooter!" smiley - steam

Post 671

The Groob

"It's the cleaning ones that I like, when that mad guy comes on and yells at you to buy his stuff!"

Careful. I've seen people lynched for less smiley - biggrin

Post 672

Researcher 815350

http://ubersite.com/m/86923

Post 673

Yael Smith

smiley - laughsmiley - rofl I'd love to hear the cill1t b@ng remix!

Post 674

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

This one?

http://www.cillitbangremix.com/

smiley - biggrin

Post 675

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Wow, I'd forgotten how great this is!

Post 676

Yael Smith

I've got to get the ringtone!smiley - rofl

Post 677

I'm not really here

I always turn over when *both* those ads come on - or at the very least turn the sound off. They both REALLY ANNOY ME!! smiley - steam

I know my son is only 12, but I took great care to explain to him the difference between secure and unsecure loans, and how these companies prey on the vulnerable and frankly stupid who borrow against their house to pay their unsecured debts. And I think I've said it before, but they don't put these ads on in the evenings when the workers are home. They only show them to people who are more likely not to be working because they're home in the day. smiley - cross

Although I have to being more and more tempted to ring a solicitor about injury I've received. smiley - blush So that's obviously working on me.

Post 678

welsh-rabbit

I also can't stand the kid with the underpants on his head, glad it's not just me.

The one that currently bugs me is a radio ad for the Independent (I think) Dr Seuss giveaway. The ad has been *cleverly* written in the style of a Dr Seuss book - except the rhymes don't scan properly. It really grates and makes me want to scream at the radio every morning!

Post 679

Yael Smith

Each day when I switch it on
The radio makes me wanna groan
What for, what for I hear you ask
For the Indepent's ad's a task
It tells you about Dr. Seuss
And how they're giving away his books
But the rhyming doesn't flow
And smiley - grrsmiley - groansmiley - rolleyes is how I go.

Like that?smiley - winkeye

Post 680

welsh-rabbit

Like that, but worse!!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more