A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Film titles go in text box!

Post 5141

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Or if not lets have a system to decide it.

I agree with the earlier posters that it would be better if the film titles were referred to in the main body of text. At least for my smiley - 2cents

FB

Chat about films

Post 5142

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

goes in a changed-title box.

Announcement of a new film seen/changing topic from last poster - change title *and* post title of film in box.

But that could get complicated if we have new posterssmiley - erm

Chat about films

Post 5143

Pink Paisley

Change in text box.

It still appears as "What films have you seen recently" in the convo list but I can choose whether I want to read each entry.

I have little interest in (e.g.) rom-coms, violence and horror so wouldn't always choose to read that entry.

I can see that for instance, my last entry "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" becomes irritating when the next entry for Slumdog Millionaire has the heading "S&D&R&R", but it is no less useless than "WFSYSR".

More helpful (to my way of thinking) would be two separate threads, one for recentish / seen at cinema films, and one for TV / DVD films.

PP

Chat about films

Post 5144

Orcus

I don't even look at the post header frankly, so in there would be useless.

I'm struggling to give a fig over this, although the discussion is getting irritating.

Chat about films

Post 5145

Orcus

Meaning the current format seems to have worked OK for 5000+ posts so far.

What film blah blah?

Post 5146

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I was quite happy with the system of just posting here until someone started changing the titles and then someone complained.

What film blah blah?

Post 5147

Orcus

Indeed

What film blah blah?

Post 5148

Vip

Spirited Away got another outing again last night.

It never fails to make me happy. Except of course the first time I saw it, when I spent the entire time wondering what I was missing; what was the underlying plot that would suddenly emerge and take over at the last minute? The answer, of course, is that there isn't one. It's just a fairy tale. That's it. No complexity, no second guessing, just a heart-warming tale in pretty animation.

Can I watch it again now please?

smiley - fairy

What film blah blah?

Post 5149

I do apologise about whining....

I just never read the post titles so find it confusing when the body of the text didnt have the film title in....

FB

What film etc.

Post 5150

ismarah - fuelled by M&Ms

Just saw Moon with Sam Rockwell - awesome stuff!

Highly recommend it and wish SR would get an Oscar nom, if not the actual award.

What film etc.

Post 5151

Watched "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs" last night. It really was quite splendid. I highly recommend.

FB

P.S. I second that Rockwell for a gong on Moon.... Great film.

What film etc.

Post 5152

A Super Furry Animal

Moon was one of my top films of last years as well.

I went to see Up In The Air at the weekend. It contains George Clooney (kept HI interested) a sometime-naked Vera Farmiga (kept me interested), and was generally well put together. It's not mind-blowingly original, and the so-called twist isn't much of a bombshell...but it was enjoyable enough. 3/5.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

What film etc.

Post 5153

Tumsup

Last night I saw Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes. Who else would imagine him as a bare knuckle boxer?smiley - biggrin

What film etc.

Post 5154

A Super Furry Animal

>> Who else would imagine him as a bare knuckle boxer? <<

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who wrote the stories.

Sorry to piss on your parade, but it is actually on the literature.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

What film etc.

Post 5155

A Super Furry Animal

IN. not on, IN.

Oh, for an edit function.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

What film etc.

Post 5156

Tumsup

Thank you for that Freddy.smiley - ok

I don't recall reading any of the stories, I only know the old films.

I learn a new thing every day.

What film etc.

Post 5157

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

You should. They're good.

I got a the stories reprinted from The Strand in three £1 volumes from a cheapo bookshop a few years back. Bloody small type so quite tricky to read but well worth three squids.

What film etc.

Post 5158

Tumsup

I'm going to get them.

You've reminded me that the old filmmakers were no more likely to be faithful to the books they were adapting than they are today.

Basil Rathbone indeed.

What film etc.

Post 5159

You can call me TC

Finally someone who's seen it! So - what was the film actually like? I don't know why I'm asking, I'm going to see it anyway. If only for the smiley - drool content. (RDJ, not JL)

What film etc.

Post 5160

Tumsup

<If only for thesmiley - drool content. (RDJ, not JL)

Do you mean RDJ stripped to the waist, sweating in a bullpit and beating up a thug or RDJ dressed only in a small cushion and handcuffed to a four poster for the chambermaid to find?smiley - biggrin

Actually, the film was quite good. Lots of stylish, comic violence. I don't know why Tarantino is celebrated for this, Ritchie does it much better. I never see any evidence of intelligence in a Tarantino film but Ritchie is very clever.

Also, there's Rachel McAdams smiley - drool

Key: Complain about this post