A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What film etc.

Post 5161

Orcus

Probably because Tarantino was 20 years earlier.

Also, if you can't find any intelligence in, say, Inglourious Basterd then I'm going to have to make you sit down and watch it again. smiley - tongueout

We watched the new version of the Day the Earth Stood Still the other night on telly.
Me? Meh.
T'other half - loved it but I think she was looking at Keanu.

Not really the same film as the original at all - so much so that the title is no longer really appropriate in the new one as far as I could tell. Generally it was all a bit bland and flat. Also, the motivation for Klaatu to change his mind wasn't really clear to me frankly. I'd have done us in if I was them. smiley - shrug

Good special effects though and wotsername was nice for me too look at too.

What film etc.

Post 5162

You can call me TC

<> smiley - bigeyes

*fans self*

Are you having us on?

What film etc.

Post 5163

Tumsup

smiley - laugh

if you have the price of a ticket, you can see for yourself.

The chambermaid screams and runs away. Victorians, go figure.

also, I saw Inglourius Basterds or however he mispelled it and I liked it very much but it was still only a revenge fantasy.

What film etc.

Post 5164

Orcus

But a very intelligent one smiley - evilgrin

Upcoming film

Post 5165

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Tonight on Sky One at 9pm, there's a TV movie "Stargate: Continuum" (2008) it boasts all the old crew, Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c, plus Ben Browder and Claudia Black, along with bad guy Ba'alsmiley - devil

smiley - drool
That's my evening booked, expect a full report tomorrow unless anyone's taping it to salivate over later.

smiley - rocket

What films have you seen recently?

Post 5166

Xanatic

I also saw the Holmes movie recently, and it´s rather entertaining. Holmes has some traits which they seem to have missed out on in other adaptations, such as his manic depressiveness. He is however also much too emotional in the movie, though I guess they needed that for the Irene Adler inclusion. Still, even as a Holmes fan I quite enjoyed it.

Post 5167

Pink Paisley

I finally succumbed to the lure of The Blue People.

Absolutely fantastic to look at. Stunning. So long as nothing moved too fast. It seems churlish to complain that fast action was jerky, like there weren't enough frames per second. I don't know whether this is a limitation of the technique or of the cinema that I was in.

But it IS Pocahontas. And why so long? PLEASE let the directors cut (or was this it?) lop half an hour off. Didin't films this long used to have an intermission?

PP

What film have you seen recently?

Post 5168

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Stargate: Continuum, I hope others enjoyed it as much as I did, I have *so* missed Jack's humour: "Relax, she's probably gone to the Ladies. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a toilet in a pyramid?" smiley - rofl

Loved it, all the old team, including the first General, plus the original bad guy suitably crushed underfootsmiley - magic Alternate Universe Jack was magnificently arrogant and awful, smiley - applause and Ben Browder, well, that's best kept for the smiley - drool threadsmiley - run

9/10 - dropped a point for not being long enough. It could have done with another half-hour of Jack time, this timeline or the other, don't care which.

Post 5169

Elentari

I liked Stargate a l;ot until the started showing it on Sky, which I don't get. smiley - sadface

Saw Avatar on Monday. Enjoyed it, the effects are stunning, but the plot was basically the story of the American Indians transposed onto another planet and with a happier ending. I also found the 3D less noticeable that I thought it would be. Maybe it was just me.

I watched Once last night. I'd never heard of it, but I read about it on a list of the best films of the last decade, and the soundtrack cropped up on a music list, so I checked it out. Not bad, but not as good as I hoped it would be. The music is divine though.

Post 5170

Elentari

Also, there was an advert before Avatar for a new film called Battle for Terra, which seems to have an extremely similar plot.

Post 5171

Tumsup

< I don't know whether this is a limitation of the technique or of the cinema that I was in.>

I'm guessing that it's the 3D. Every frame has to be in duplicate, one for each eye. There's also a lower limit to the length of the flash on the retina so you don't see the black in between.

Could also be compromises with the CGI budget.

Or was it a rhetorical question? smiley - sorrysmiley - smiley

Post 5172

coelacanth

No Distance Left to Run - A Film About Blur.

Such a funny, yet sad but still affectionate account of their lives and journey from the formation of the band, the break up and then the reunion gigs. I've recently finished Alex James' book "A Bit of a Blur" which I realise glossed over some of the excesses, and in some ways the film is an even more sanitised version. But it's honest and raw. Graham Coxon still seems a bit broken, but the film shows him to be very witty and amusing. And Alex James is lovely.

Their Essex wasn't quite mine, Colchester being much posher than Basildon but I knew the places they started from, which made their journey fascinating to see.

The film wasn't shown in many places, and as the credits came on the cinema audience where I saw it applauded. This was smiley - applause both for the film and the band. An excellent evening.
smiley - bluefish

Post 5173

Pink Paisley

"Or was it a rhetorical question?"

No I was guessing.

I think I am 3D'd out now. I've seen enough for the time being but guess that I will be drawn back for Alice in Wonderland.

Am hoping that Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell isn't in 3D when it eventually turns up.

And The Hobbit. Please let that be in glorious Flatovision.

PP

Post 5174

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Just watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

It was smiley - erm alright. Seven year-old liked it...(that's not a recommendation, btw)

Post 5175

You can call me TC

I've heard so much about Nowhere Boy and I'm sure my husband would love it. In fact so many Germans of his generation are (understandably) Beatles fans and Beatles connoisseurs - the Beatles spent a lot of their formative months in Germany - but according to Imdb there is not even a release date for Germany. Harumph. I think I'll contact my local radio station.

Post 5176

Orcus

'Flatovision'

smiley - laugh

Post 5177

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

>He is however also much too emotional in the movie,

He can be emotional in the books (serials) too. Take this quote from The Adventure of the Three Garridebs:

Then my friend's wiry arms were round me, and he was leading me to a chair.

"You're not hurt, Watson? For God's sake, say that you are not hurt!"

It was worth a wound, it was worth many wounds, to know the depth of loyalty and love which lay behind that cold mask. The clear, hard eyes were dimmed for a moment, and the firm lips were shaking. For the one and only time I caught a glimpse of a great heart as well as of a great brain.

smiley - ale

Hi, my name's Barry Norman, welcome to this week's edition of Film '84

Post 5178

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Thanks to a problem with the Virginmedia I had a night free of interruptions last night so caught up on a few films I've mean meaning to watch.

Stranger Than Fiction: Good idea, smashing first half hour, OK for the rest. Turns in to a romcom. Worth watching but not all it could have been.

Terminator 3: contemporary aren't I? A bit meh.

Terminator 4: I managed to watch about 15 minutes.

Watchmen: crikey. Splendid. Smashing. Tails off a bit at the end though.

Post 5179

Xanatic

KerrAvon: As that quote shows, him being emotional was quite an unusual thing. Usually he was quite stoic.

Post 5180

Orcus

You thought T3 was better than T4? smiley - erm

Key: Complain about this post