A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What films have you seen recently?

Post 5121

Alfster

Also, saw Ironman...excellent again. Followed the set-up of Batman Begins with the prolonged set-up and how Tony Stark becomes Ironman but it works very well as it gives greater weight to the 'superhero' and why he is what he is.

Jeff Daniels was superb and unrecognisable without the hair but with the beard.

And Gywneth Paltrow was great as Pepper Pot...and she looks lovely as a redhead.

And the little bit after the credits sets up film 2...and who else could they have in it but Mr Samuel L Jackson...harder than Ironman's backside.

Post 5122

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Christopher, I've wanted to see 'Stranger Then Fiction' for ages and completely forgot what it was called and who was in it!

smiley - cheers

Post 5123

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I love stranger than fiction. I evangelise about it all the time to my pals but it seems to be one that has passed loads of people by...

FB

Post 5124

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Oh and I saw "Zombieland" this weekend. Pretty good, no SOTD but much the second best rom-zom-com I have ever seen (admittedly second out of two!).

Funny, clever, and the cameo you may have heard of is every bit as good as it is hyped up to be!

FB

Post 5125

Tumsup

I agree. What with the shaved head and the beard he looked much more like Jeff Bridges.

Post 5126

Alfster

smiley - weird

Post 5127

Alfster

Oh...yes...darn...doh...oops...smiley - blush

smiley - laugh

Thanks, Tumsup.

I still didn't recognise him...he was the Dude though.smiley - winkeye

Post 5128

Fizzymouse- no place like home

Saw Avatar just before Christmas ..... beautiful to look at but it's just Disney's Pocohontas without the singing - and set in the future obviously.smiley - 2cents

Saw part of Cheaper By The Dozen on tv earlier and was very disappointed, the original was such a beautiful film with nothing in common with the remake apart from the title .... disappointed.smiley - sadface

smiley - mouse

Post 5129

Pink Paisley

Saw Avatar just before Christmas ..... beautiful to look at but it's just Disney's Pocohontas without the singing - and set in the future obviously.2cents

http://failblog.org/2010/01/10/avatar-plot-fail/

PP

Post 5130

Pink Paisley

Sorry, forgot to "" that.

PP

Post 5131

A Super Furry Animal

Adding my vote to Stranger Than Fiction - an excellent film, plus it contains Maggie Gyllenhaal!

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 5132

Tumsup

I'm looking forward to Avatar II.

The ending of the first one was unbelievable so I expect the humans to return with a 'surge' to fight the ten foot tall blue terrorists.

If we don't fight them there then soon they'll be flying lizards into office buildings here.smiley - winkeye

It's Complicated

Post 5133

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I am not sure if you need to be a "certain age" to appreciate this but it had me smiley - roflsmiley - laughsmiley - roflsmiley - brave and inspired me that there's life beyond 50. Or even 60.

smiley - popcornI've no doubt this will be in my top 10 films of the year, which is a great start for me, smiley - ok

10+/10

It's Complicated

Post 5134

Xanatic

Am I the only one getting annoyed when people change the subject line instead of just writing the movie title in the post itself?

It's Complicated

Post 5135

A Super Furry Animal

Not annoyed, exactly, but it took me a while to figure out what film it was, too.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 5136

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - rolleyes

It's Complicated

OK?

Post 5137

Orcus

Watched Clint Eastwood's The Changeling last night on the box.

Excellent, although not exactly uplifting stuff for much of the movie.
As someone said above, Clint Eastwood direction seems to automatically put a film into the top quartile of films. If only they could erase Every Which Way But Loose and Heartbreak Ridge from History.

Angelina Jolie was very good as the star too. A bit of a revelation that she can actually act in fact. I don't think I've seen her in anything outside of Mr and Mrs Smith or Tombraider genre films.

Support acting was good too and the fact that it was based on truth (although one wonders how much as ever) lent it a real hard edge.

A few pretty brutal scenes though, for those of a sensitive nature.

Which leads me to a personal gripe. Why can a film be about as violent as one could imagine and get a 15 certificat, but the moment someone swears or get their bits out does it become 18?
Which is worse, brutal violence, harsh language or a bit of bouncy bouncy? smiley - rolleyes

Post 5138

You can call me TC

I'll not answer that, assuming it was a rhetorical question. Would anyone mind if I re-iterated my question on the last page? << Anyone seen Sherlock Holmes yet?>>

On TV this weekend we watched The Life of David Gale. Good solid stuff. Kate Winslet, Kevin Spacey, Laura Linney. Need I say more? The plot did have a twist, but it wasn't impossible to see it coming. It did prove that the Americans do understand the meaning of irony, though. (Perhaps Kate W helped them there). I saw the dubbed German version, so I didn't get to hear Kate talk American but apparently she was good.

Come to that, I haven't seen Titanic in the original, but I think she plays an English girl in that, so she didn't need an American accent.

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll.

Post 5139

Pink Paisley

I saw this last night and having slept on it am still not sure what to think about it.

I'm glad I saw it but was left feeling that there was still more of the story to tell - it didn't finish at the end.

The production was highly original and took me a bit by surprise.

I didn't know an awful lot about Ian Dury, but always suspected that he wasn't the sort of guy that I would choose to have a pint with, and this film (given endorsement by his family I believe) tells an awful lot about the way he was and the reasons for that.

Would recommend this one.

PP

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll.

Post 5140

Orcus

Finally saw Slumdog Millionaire last night.

It lives up the hype, a superb film.

Key: Complain about this post