A Conversation for Ask h2g2

The Box.

Post 5081

Xanatic

Cartman from South Park made a movie called Dances With Smurfs that Cameron apparently ripped off. It can all be seen in one of the recent episodes of South Park.

The Box.

Post 5082

loonycat - run out of fizz

Watching Sister Act, an old favourite of mine. Almost makes me want to become a nun smiley - stoutsmiley - angel

The Box.

Post 5083

Orcus

Ah, nothing like going into it with an open mind eh?

The Box.

Post 5084

A Super Furry Animal

Last night I watched Bad Santa on the tell-o-vision. Now, an awful lot of really bad movies get made at Christmas time, many with a santa character in them. Of those, this probably falls into the "least bad" category. It had a thought-out plot, wasn't icky, good characterisation. It was a bit sentimental at the end...but what do you expect? It was better than I thought it was going to be...there's nothing like low expectations to enhance your viewing pleasure!

RFsmiley - evilgrin

The Box.

Post 5085

Orcus

Yes I've seen that.
Better than I was expecting is the way I'd put it too.

Saw Defiance, starring Mr Bond last night. About a band of jews who hid from the Germans in the woods of Byelorussia during the WWII. Not bad at all.
Not that brilliant either. I'd say as modern heart rending war films go it was functional. Surprisingly light on atrocities and gore, given the subject material but done well nevertheless.
Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers were better I think.

Still, much better than a Saturday night in watching X-factor.

The Box.

Post 5086

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I agree with Mr PP about The Box, which I saw this morning. <>
Before the end I had lost the plot.

My son wants to go see Avatar (he's talked of nothing else for months) so I'll be taking him, probably Friday.

smiley - aliensmile

Xmas films

Post 5087

Noel. It was on C5 this afternoon, billed starring Susan Sarandon, Penelope Cruz and Robin Williams, I decided to tune in. It was soppy, sentimental, funny, silly, slightly confusing, slightly wacky, with a good dollop of feel good/sniffle creeping up on you. smiley - angelRobin Williams wasn't in it enough, but that's my only complaint, I'd recommend this to all, perfect festive viewingsmiley - ok

Where The Wild Things Are

Post 5088

Pink Paisley

If you are a child or have been a child or plan to be one.

Or if you are an adult, or have been one or plan to be one.

Go to see Where The Wild Things Are.

Do it now.

PP

Post 5089

You can call me TC

<>

You should be in advertising, Mr P!

Post 5090

Pink Paisley

Well it was a film with added beauty. And with the lovelirons, scientifically proven to enhance your enjoyment of the cinematic experience, if Carlesberg made films..........

PP

Post 5091

HonestIago

Been watching the Hairspray DVD I was bought for my birthday.

I don't think it's appropriate for a man of my ancient years to have such a crush on Zac Efron.

Nic Cage

Post 5092

The best film he's ever made is on 5 USA? on freeview right nowsmiley - biker

Nic Cage

Post 5093

Todaymueller

Just about to watch the new Star Trek movie . I will report back in 122 mins approx. according to the dvd case .smiley - ok

Nic Cage

Post 5094

Todaymueller

OK , overall pretty good . I was a at least 3/4 of the way through the film before I stopped finding the Kirk charactor irritating and believable . Spock was great from the word go . Although the Ahura romantic sub plot was smiley - erm daft . Ill give it 8/10 .

Nic Cage

Post 5095

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Am considering going to see this Avatar in 3d tonight. smiley - popcorn

Nic Cage

Post 5096

Tumsup

I saw Avatar in 3D last night. First, there was a half hour of ads then 'Put on your 3D glasses now.' Yay, at last! But no, more ads, this time products jump out at you.smiley - erm

The film was worth the wait.

Nic Cage

Post 5097

Orcus

Just come back from Avatar in iMax.

Wow.

As a spectacle it very much lives up to the hype. It really does redefine what cinema can do.
As a film? Lets take Cameron's own films as the yardstick.
As good as Titanic? Hell yes, much much better.
As good as Aliens or Terminator. Nope, but not really all that far off.

It's a good, good film. But go see it in iMax 3D if you can, really.

Dances with smurfs? Cynicism will keep your heart stony.

Nic Cage

Post 5098

Just come back from Avatar in 3d (not Imax - we'z only got a little diddy cinema)

I concur with m' learn'ed colleague.

Wow. Just. Wow.

Do, do, do, go and see this movie.

smiley - popcorn

Favourite line in the whole movie: "Oh sh*t!" said by Sigourney Weaver, I'll not reveal why she says it, but the comic timing is perfect. smiley - laugh

Re: comparisons with Aliens: I found it amusing that this time the bad-guys had the power loaders. smiley - winkeye and oh my that evil general chew up the scenery. smiley - bigeyes

The headache I developed from the dwindling reserves of adrenaline has finally ebbed away.

Also the collective sight of the cinema audience acting as one in the application of the Brains-from-Thunderbirds 3D specs,smiley - geek is one that shall amuse me for several days. smiley - laugh

Smurfs

Post 5099

Orcus

I'd add that my t'other and better half found that the 3D imax effects didn't work with her as she has a lazy and hence effectively useless right eye. This makes the 3D effects null and void.

She still wants to see it again. So apparently it's worth watching in 2D too. smiley - ok

Smurfs

Post 5100

I give the 3D a respectable 4/5. Not based on colour which is great for me being red-green colourblind.

The goggles fitted over my specs, which was also welcome.

I need these to correct a short-sightedness and astigmatism, so occasionally wondered if I everything looked as it should but these brief moments of suspension of suspension of disbelief where few are rarer so I was overall very impressed.

Key: Complain about this post