A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Post 5021

A Super Furry Animal

I watch Die Hard 4.0 on the tell-o-vision the other night.

I saw this when it came out (on DVD) but didn't think much of it at the time. However, on second viewing, it grew on me a bit. I've seen 1-3 more times than I care to remember, so when this one first came out, after a considerable gap, I thought it didn't really fit with the others. I think I'll watch it again, and possibly familiarity will make it grow on me?

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Post 5022

urchinvic - the budgies are restless

went to see Up the other day. Terrific. I want a talking dog now. Saw 9 last week- very good, but quite dark. Felt the plot was a bit familiar though, but very inventive imagery all the same.

Up

Post 5023

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I also enjoyed "Up"smiley - ok

Tomorrow I'm going to see the first showing of 2012, smiley - biggrin

Up

Post 5024

You can call me TC

Die Hard 4.0 came out here on TV the other week. Of course I watched it - I found it a bit clichéd but enjoyed it. Nice that a girl was allowed to have balls in a typically male action film. ("You really are his daughter!")

Post 5025

Phew.

When I came home from seeing this, I was thankful there was no enormous gaping hole in the ground where my house used to be. smiley - puff

Post 5026

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

good / bad / indifferent / independence day ?

smiley - popcorn

Post 5027

toybox

Didn't you leave out the 'bad', 'awful' and 'unwatchable' before 'independence day'?

Post 5028

toybox

Oops, you didn't use decreasing order smiley - blush

Post 5029

toybox

Apologies for the triple post --

Independence day, the times when people still used to say about a movie (meaning it as a compliment of some sort), "the story was crap, but the special effects were nice" smiley - biggrin

Post 5030

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Just seen "moon" with Same Rockwell in...

Folks watch this movie ASAP, it is amazing!

FB

Boldly Going...

Post 5031

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Rented Star Trek the last night. Still impressed with what a good reboot for the franchise it is.

Boldly Going...

Post 5032

You can call me TC

After the Hitchiker's Film - ANYTHING with Sam Rockwell - lead me to it!!

Shh! Don't mention the war!

Post 5033

Orcus

Over the last 2 nights I've watched Clint Eastwood's little double movie series Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

They are both based around the famous battle in WWII with the first following the fates of the soldiers who raised the US flag on Mt Suribachi on Iwo Jima and how they were used to raise money for the war effort when that famous photo got to be famous all of a sudden.

The second focuses on the Japanese side of the story with lead characters being a common baker turned reluctant-soldier and two honourable (really) officers, one the general in charge of the whole island's defence and the other a cavalry officer who was an olympic medallist before the war.

Both are really moving portraits of what happened and the effect war can have on those who take part. I was particuarly impressed with Letters as this is largely the first time I've seen a sensitive portrayal of the japanese side of things back then. It was nice to see that although the nutbar side of things did rather dominate, there were some decent folks stuck in a horrendous situation on both sides of things.

Clint Eastwood really can make a good movie when he does this sort of story. Glad he's stopped making comedies. smiley - winkeye

Both films are both brutal, moving and pretty honest in their portrayal of things. I would thoroughly recommend them. smiley - ok

What films have you seen recently?

Post 5034

Sheep in wolfs clothing

I am looking for recommendations. I'm going to the local independent cinema tonight. The choice is either Bright Star or The Men Who Stare At Goats. Depending on which website I go to for ratings, they seem to be equally rated. Any personal views?

Post 5035

I hesitate to recommend something I haven't seen smiley - erm

2012 though, I'd sit through that again, if only for the plane ride between two collapsing buildings, when I literally gripped the seat...smiley - yikes

smiley - wow

I *will* be watching it again, on Tuesday. smiley - ok

smiley - 2centsI saw "The Fourth Kind" yesterday - smiley - erm I left before the end. It was billed as a "thriller" - it was more "horror" with actual footage of recorded sessions with psychologists intersperced with the acting, which was supposed to be real events having taken place (alien abductions without the cute aliens) and still a missing girlsmiley - erm go if you want the sh*t scared out of you but an enjoyable experience it wasn't smiley - sadface

Post 5036

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

The Men who Stare at Goats *looks* brilliant, having said that, however, I did bring 'How to Lose Friends...' back from work the other night*

*well, Jeff Bridges can't be bad, can he? smiley - silly

Post 5037

Tumsup

Went to see 2012. They blew the budget on CGI and had none left for the writers.smiley - rolleyes

Hollywood should underwrite the development of a drug to induce suspension of disbelief. Then put it in the popcorn.

Still, it had some great moments.The Yellowstone caldera blows big time and takes Woody Harrellson with it.smiley - ok

Post 5038

Vip

We've got our copy of Star Trek, and it comes with a prequel comic. Which doesn't match the story told in the film. smiley - rolleyes

smiley - fairy

Post 5039

Tumsup

It's an alternate timeline.smiley - winkeye

Post 5040

Vip

Well, no. Well, yes, it is an alternative timeline to TOS et al, but no, the two stories still don't fit together even when you take that into account. The comic is part of the new canon, as it was written specifically as a prequel to the new film.

Of course, your comment could have been completely smiley - tongueincheek...

smiley - geeksmiley - blush

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post