A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Final Destination 4 (The Final Destination)

Post 4961

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

This is why it helps to have friends in the Womens' Institute Jam, Marmalade and Other Preserves Standards Committee.

Italian Film

Post 4962

acartfart

Try Pranzo Di Ferragosto
Abosolute delight.

Italian Film

Post 4963

A Super Furry Animal

I watched Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange on DVD the other night.

Now, I know in the book (which I've not read) that they use all this made-up slang, but they just cannot make it work on film. It just doesn't. It ends up making a Peter Greenaway film sound natural and unforced.

The rape and violence scenes were probably controversial when it was made, but aren't really now. Again, they look too contrived for anyone to take them seriously.

In short, it's a load of old shoemenders.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Which Film?

Post 4964

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Julie & Julia (12a) or Dorian Gray are my choices at the SS this morningsmiley - erm

Dorian Gray

Post 4965

smiley - wow
I happily pay the entrance fee to see Colin Firth. However, he was the co-star and it was extremely difficult to concentrate on him when Ben Barnes (Dorian) was in the room... I checked and he was born in 1981smiley - cdouble
smiley - seniorsmiley - drool

Very atmospheric, in a Gothic horror kind of way, with just enough gory bits to gross you out, but not make you scream. When I left the cinema I felt like I was stepping into another world smiley - puff and it's a long time since a film had such an effect.

Dorian Gray

Post 4966

Alfster

'Underworld - Rise Of the Lycans' a nice prequel to the previous two, really filled in the gaps and made you root even more for the werewolves.

And it gave a chance for Danny McBride to be in it again with the unfeasibly deep voice of his which he doesn't put on.

Dorian Gray

Post 4967

HonestIago

Just watched Stardust on DVD - it really is an instant depression cure.

It might well be my favourite film of the decade, can't think of any other film that I enjoy quite as much.

Dorian Gray

Post 4968

Xanatic

I think you meant Kevin Grievoux, he´s the one with the voice that makes Barry White sound falsetto.

Dorian Gray

Post 4969

Alfster

Yes, that's him, Xanatic. Thanks!smiley - ok

Also, only just realised who played Lucien - Martin Sheen. He who played Frost just before this role, previously Bliar and Kenneth Williams. He really is a chameleon.

Dorian Gray

Post 4970

Xanatic

Grievoux is also one of the writers of the first movie, and was back writing on the third which is why I have my hopes up for it. I loved the first movie. He also wrote a superhero comic, dealing with racism and civil rights which was interesting.

Dorian Gray

Post 4971

Alfster

Looks like there might be an Underworld 4 as well.smiley - magic

Dorian Gray

Post 4972

Xanatic

Let´s hope they bring back Erika and Amelia, just for the eye candy.

What Films have you seen recently?

Post 4973

Sheep in wolfs clothing

I saw 'Away We Go' at the local independent cinema last night.
A lovely film that ended with a feel good factor, despite some of the weird people that Burt and Verona met on their way.
I would recommend it but would warn you that it is a bit slow to start. Stick with it and you will be rewarded. It also had a great soundtrack, with the most memorable songs coming from Alexi Murdoch. I hadn't heard of him before, but it seems that a number of TV and film makers have. His songs have been used in Garden State (another lovely, quirky movie), The O.C., House, Prison Break etc. It was reminiscent of an updated Nick Drake.

Post 4974

Mol - on the new tablet

Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging - good
Ocean's 11 - enjoyed it a lot
Ocean's 12 - couldn't understand it *at all* and it got a bit silly smiley - erm

Mol

Post 4975

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Funny that Garden State has just been mentioned as I watched it last night. Class.

I wonder why Peter Saarsgard is not in more films cause I think he is really good.

And of course Natalie Portman smiley - drool

FB

Post 4976

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Flags of our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima

Both excellent. smiley - ok

Now if only they could bottle what Clint Eastwood has and force Micheal Bay, George Lucas and Paul Anderson to drink it.

Post 4977

Vip

We saw Surrogates last night.

Interesting concept, but not done well. It wasn't bad, but definitely not good. 3/5.

Unfortunately I like my universes to be coherent before you hang a plot on them.

smiley - fairy

Post 4978

Beatrice

Fame.

I don't think I'll remember any of their names smiley - erm

There was the odd good dance routine, but the paper-thin plot was dreary, and the individuals engendered no empathy.

Post 4979

<>

I agree. Everyone I have talked to about it loves it, even different bits of it. My son-in-law is notoriously hard to please, and often won't accompany my daughter to the cinema (meaning she has to go with mesmiley - ok) but HE roared with laughter at the sight of Robert de Niro in drag, playing a closet gay smiley - pirate

smiley - ok

Post 4980

Creation.

I wasn't expecting a film about a man struggling with grief from the loss of his child, and the marriage difficulties about different beliefs. I also wasn't expecting to cry, but I did. In all, a rewarding film which made me think about what a struggle life is, but what a gift.

Key: Complain about this post