A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 1661

The Groob

Nah, watching it on webcam. Stayed up till 12.30 last night to try to catch the eruption. Mrs thinks I'm mad.

Petty Hates

Post 1662

Researcher 185550

Ahh, as I understand it, the warning level that the volcano's on both means "eruption imminent" AND "eruption will be imminent" . And it could be imminent on a geological time-scale, e.g. in a while.

Petty Hates

Post 1663

doggybacchus

What's the webcam address? (I hope the media are getting paid a bloody huge amount, I would'nt be seen within 100 miles of that place at the mo!)

Petty Hates

Post 1664

The Groob

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Petty Hates

Post 1665

doggybacchus

Ta - looks v. tranquil & beautiful. Holding my breath, though

Petty Hates

Post 1666

The Groob

I don't like the stupid jingle at the end of Macdonald's adverts. I don't like to see famous songs used in adverts. I don't like to see celebrities doing adverts - especially when I respect them and i know they're earning a decent living already. I never find that level of respect for them again.

Petty Hates

Post 1667

AlexoOo

I don't like the way commercial breaks on satellite TV go on for about 7 minutes, when you're paying extra to recieve the service in the first place. And they show the same commercials all the time. And how can charities afford to advertise SO often, I thought they needed the money?

(Or send you biros for that matter, the pens of guilt!)

Petty Hates

Post 1668

Researcher 185550

Do they do what the channels on terrestrial do? That is, they usually show an ad for another program on the channel before going back into the thing you're watching. If you look out for those you can mute the TV and go and get a glass of water in the ad breaks, or set up a download or something. It's what I do.

And as Bill Hicks said, "Once you do a commercial, I don't care what it is, you're struck off the artistic roster forever." smiley - applause

Petty Hates

Post 1669

AlexoOo

This isn't so much a petty hate as a call for help. My neighbours went off on Holiday last week and I am feeding the cat for them. On Wednesday morning there was two cars outside their house, on Wednesday evening there was one. I know they have two children who drive living locally. I checked the drive for broken glass etc, but found none. I'm just hoping the kids borrowed it.

Petty Hates

Post 1670

Musashi Himura, the ronin returns, is happy to be back

honestigo what job do you do?

Petty Hates

Post 1671

HonestIago

I work in a cinema, cleaning screens, selling tickets and popcorn. Last 2 shifts haven't been too bad though I have a potential beast tomorrow

Petty Hates

Post 1672

The Groob

I had a buddy who worked in a cinema (usher). He said seeing films for free sounds good but after a while seeing the same film over and over is Chinese water torture.

Petty Hates

Post 1673

HonestIago

Yeah, when I was younger we had a cinema that was run by volunteers for the community as we couldn't support a 'real' cinema and we had an usher who sat all the way through the film. I volunteered there for a while but I was only 14 so I could only watch 12s, Us and PGs and I ended up watching Tomorrow Never Dies 34 times as it was the only film I could usher smiley - yuk

Petty Hates

Post 1674

why would they be assholes to you honest? you offering a truly needed purpose without people working in cinema there would be no cinemas and then what would i have to do watch crap copied movies like all the freeloaders trell you what tell me these peoples names and i will wack them personally i salute you

Petty Hates

Post 1675

HonestIago

I think people get the attitude that they've paid to get in so they can treat us how they want - which is fair enough when the service is bad, but totally uncalled for when it isn't.
However (and to divert from the 'Hate' theme) we do get some gems. I was working on Wednesday night and it was about 10 o clock, all our films had gone in and we were just closing the level when a couple come up to me very politely and said that they were in seeing a film but it was full of flashing lights and she was epileptic and they hadn't been warned.
smiley - yikes was my immediate response as they had very good grounds for a serious lawsuit but all they wanted was to go in and see another film ("You can see any film you want... and have the deeds to the place, just don't sue, please!!!") They were really nice and friendly and to make up for our mistake I gave them a free large popcorn and drink each. I explained this to my manager later, he said I did exactly the right thing and when this couple came out of their screen they were full of praise for me and the cinema despite the fairly large foul-up. So it's not all doom and gloom

Petty Hates

Post 1676

Researcher 185550

How very nice of them smiley - smiley

Petty Hates

Post 1677

Casserole_lady

Not so much a petty hate but a petty whinge which I need to share- I bought a really nice shirt from H&M on Oxford Street yesterday and managed to lose it between the shop and getting on the train home. Obviously no point in trying to find it in the quiet uninhabited London village, and cannot buy from H&M online. They should never have let me out of the house! Doh!

Petty Hates

Post 1678

Researcher 185550

Oh, I've got one, or several:

Everything about the TV quiz show "Eggheads".

Petty Hates

Post 1679

TRISTY

SHOPPING WITH DIFFERENT TYPES OF CREDIT CARDS - HOW COME A STANDARD SWITCH CARD CAN BE USED FOR CASH WITHDRAWALS , SHOPPING INCLUDING CASHBACK AND ALSO YOUR GIVEN A PIN NUMBER , BUT YET A MASTERCARD YOU CANT WITHDRAW FROM CASH MACHINES - IF YOU USE A BANK, YOUR CHARGED - IF YOU DO NOT MAKE MONTHLY PAYMENTS THEY BLOCK ACCESS TO TRANSFER'S AND I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED ANY PIN NUMBER , AND MOST SHOPS WILL NOT GIVE CASH BACK - ITS A USELESS CARD - I AM PETRIFIED TO SHOP WITH THIS - WHY CANT THEY ALL BE UNIFIED FOR THE SAME PURPOSES - WHY CANT I LOOK AT MY BALANCE BEFORE I SHOP --- ITS SO ANNOYING smiley - sadface

Petty Hates

Post 1680

im glad im too young to even consider owning a credit card well intill the 24 nov at least smiley - cake so im ingnorant of all the credit card b**locks

Key: Complain about this post