A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What to do?

Post 621

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I usually just use beeswax...

Oval grinder inserts, though? I haven't seen those in ages! I'd stay away from the copper too. Not so much for the conductivity, but the risk of corrosion. Verdigris is not to be joked at. Surgical steel is a fine replacement for titanium, because, let's be honest - who can afford titanium these days?

smiley - towel

What to do?

Post 622

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Oh, pish tosh. If you can't afford titanium, you can't afford golf, my dear. And then where will we be? smiley - erm

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 623

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I have to brag a little now. The steam valves have been working exceptionally well! I didn't even have to prime them with methyl alcohol yesterday! I guess that carbon filter replacement was worth it after all.

smiley - towel

What to do?

Post 624

Guess it's time to let off some steam then smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 625

Santragenius V

smiley - ok Did you tighten these filters down with the new 7-star monochromomatic screws or just the ordinary ones?

What to do?

Post 626

Icy North

I think you'll find it's 8-star on a Grundig.

What to do?

Post 627

I prefer the leather straps from a Telefunken u47 smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 628

Icy North

Talking of leather, does anyone have any tips for revitalising an old but much-loved pair of lederhosen? My aunt would really appreciate it.

What to do?

Post 629

Orcus

WD40

What to do?

Post 630

Sol

Duct tape.

What to do?

Post 631

Santragenius V

Those are indeed the two engineering approaches to fixing things smiley - zen

What to do?

Post 632

Orcus

I'm fairly sure Lederhosen are supposed to move though. I win smiley - tongueout

What to do?

Post 633

Icy North

Well, the drop flap's the only bit that moves, apparently.

What to do?

Post 634

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I make an excellent ointment of marigold petals, olive oil and beeswax. I'm sure that would make the Lederhosen supple. You may want to bring a towel to sit on, for furniture protection, of course. Let me know an address, and I might ship you a jar. Or make it yourself... 3 parts beeswax to 7 parts olive oil (by weight). Marigold petals are optional, for leather pants, furniture and machinery.

smiley - towel

What to do?

Post 635

Icy North

My head keeps falling off my mattock. Any ideas? smiley - smiley

What to do?

Post 636

ITIWBS

Which way?

Off the business end of the handle or down the length of it?

If the first, you might try driving a nail or two, or a wedge, into the end of the handle to expand it, with the handle in its socket in the tool head when you start pounding.

Small drilled guide holes for the nails, smaller than the diameter of the nails help to keep them straight.

If the latter, hold the tool with the handle straight up and drop it a couple of times onto a small vertical peg.

The momentum of the mattock head with cinch it down more snugly when the
handle is stopped by the peg.

Mattock picks are often designed so the head will separate easily from the handle if dropped a couple of times onto the butt end of the handle.

If none of the above, you may simply need a new handle.

What to do?

Post 637

Yeah. Either that or a gardener

smiley - pirate

What to do?

Post 638

Icy North

Thanks ITIWBS for that very practical suggestion. Driving screws or nails into the handle end is what's required here. smiley - ok

What to do?

Post 639

Pink Paisley

I miss my mattock. Lost it in the divorce.

I'm pretty sure the ex-Mrs PP had no use for it and probably didn't even know it is called a mattock.

(Icy. You didn't marry my ex did you? If you did that's my mattock. And you've broken it!)

PP.

What to do?

Post 640

Milla, h2g2 Operations

R's mattock migrated into my garden shed when he sold his house and moved to a flat. Oddly, it has just that problem - the head comes loose! But I shall try to apply your tips too.

I have wheel problems again. The tread is plastic - I know, the naffness - and has gotten quite worn and slippery. Are there any tips on how to get a better grip?

smiley - towel

Key: Complain about this post