A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Favourite cheese?

Post 101

psychocandy-moderation team leader

You're right about it seeming appropriate for warmer weather (though I've never made it to Greece yet, I do tend to eat it with salads or fruit or other summery fare). It's so good *on* things, because of that light, tangy taste...

I'm getting hungry now. smiley - cross

Favourite cheese?

Post 102

AgProv2

Shropshire Blue: this is almost psychedelic, as the cheese is a fairly bright orange shot through with deep blue Stilton veins. But a cheese to die for. (Cheshire Blue is related, but not nearly so pleasingly livid)Soft, crumbly, but intensely satisfying: the strong taste of the cheese and the Stilton blue mould is a tastebud explosion.

Emmenthal: the genuine Swiss stuff, shot through with holes like a "Tom and Jerry" cartoon cheese.

Parmesan - a rare treat due to price, we generally buy it to grate over pasta - but when cut into thin strips and nibbled with a good red wine to hand, that hard nutty taste is a glimpse of Heaven.

Favourite cheese?

Post 103

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

Red Leicester

http://www.carbery.com/html/cheese/description/red_leicester.html

Favourite cheese?

Post 104

TheGeekMom

Favourite Cheese, or cheeses, this is going to be a cheesy post, Emmentaler, Gruyere, Sbrinz, Appenzell, Fribourg Vacherin, Piora, Vacherin du Mont D'or and real Danish Blue Cheese.

Fondues anyonesmiley - cheers

Favourite cheese?

Post 105

/\ never heard of any of those

Favourite cheese?

Post 106

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

I apologize if this link has already been posted, but I think all our readers will enjoy the set of lyrics on this link from Pinky and the Brain called Roll-Call: A world of Cheeses:

http://www2.cruzio.com/~keeper/P0.html

Of course, it is not the same without the marvellous voice work, and I urge you all to try and find it on whatever format you can - it's only about a minute long. (Better still is Brain doing The Parts of the Brain, but it's off topic.)

I don't know a cheese I don't like, but I think my favourite has to be either Stilton, a 'proper' wensleydale or a strong cheddar. (Gnomon - see if you can find a brand called Dambuster. Approach with Caution idf you do.) smiley - smiley

smiley - shark

Favourite cheese?

Post 107

very cheesy

smiley - fullmoon

Favourite cheese?

Post 108

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I for a time had as the ringtone on my phone the Brains rendition of "I'm a little teapot".

smiley - laugh

Still makes me laugh to think of it now. I am gutted I no longer have the mp3....

Favourite cheese?

Post 109

smiley - laugh LOL

Favourite cheese?

Post 110

4Nicolas2

The best cheese, the Livaro, made in France, a tasty and spicy cheese who makes me remember vacation.
He has a reddish color.

Favourite cheese?

Post 111

above /\ sounds nice

Favourite cheese?

Post 112

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I do like proper cheese, as mentioned a few days back (in fact, since writing the post, the fridge's cheese collection has gone from a lump of dodgy medium cheddar to a lump of dodgy medium cheddar, 2 lumps of different Brie, a lump of Stilton & a lump of lovely, crumbly Cheshire) but I do love the processed Bavarian smoked cheese that comes in a red(ish) plastic tube.

Mind you, I impulse buy cheese the way others impulse buy smiley - choc.

Favourite cheese?

Post 113

psychocandy-moderation team leader

>Mind you, I impulse buy cheese the way others impulse buy smiley - choc<

Me, too. We have one of the vegetable bins in the fridge dedicated to cheeses. And that's not counting all the stuff in various tubs. smiley - drool

Favourite cheese?

Post 114

A Super Furry Animal

Re posts 104/105: One of you should visit the UK for its brilliant cheeses, and one of you should try leaving.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Favourite cheese?

Post 115

Mu Beta

"2 lumps of different Brie"

Do you mean 2 different lumps of Brie?

I don't think I've ever eaten any 'different Brie'.

B

Favourite cheese?

Post 116

bawimeko

The best Dutch cheese i.m.o. is Stompetoren (esp. the extra mature variety); made from unpasteurized milk, not too salt and a nice aftertaste. Fanastic on a slice of fresh wholemeal bread.
Canadian Extra Mature cheddar is my favourite "foreign" cheese (being from the Netherlands...), which comes quite close to the Stompetoren-taste.
A warning; Dutch fabric-made cheeses like Gouda ("Goudse") or Edam are mostly terribly; just salty and boring...it's always rewarding to try farmer's cheese ('boerenkaas'). Low fat varieties are a waste of money, I think..
...I'm getting peckish now...

Favourite cheese?

Post 117

Elentari

I used to like Edam as a child, but now I find it tasteless and rubbery.

We need a cheese smiley!

Favourite cheese?

Post 118

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

Talking of being a child, I remember as a young child making cheese at school. There's this whole big thing about separating the curds from the whey. I have a vague memory of this mushy salty cheese I made which actually tasted quite delicious.

Favourite cheese?

Post 119

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

"Waiter waiter this chickens rubbery"

smiley - laugh

Favourite cheese?

Post 120

urchinvic - the budgies are restless

there is indeed two (or maybe more- who knows? the possibilities are endless! well, not entirely endless. as far as soft cheese producing countries go). You can get yer bog standard french brie, or you can get lovely yummy somerset brie, made here on our own fair isle. It's buddy gorgeous, i tell thee.smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more