A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What do you women look for in a man?

Post 581

Potholer

Watch it mate, there's a queue - you trying to start something? smiley - winkeye

Post 582

a girl called Ben

Trilian's Child commented a few posts back on her divorced friend getting more agressive with colleagues etc - not a surprise. I take considerably less s**t than I used to now. I still have high standards for my own behaviour - I am sweetness and light, and a loyal friend, I just have higher standards for other peoples' behaviour too.

Hoovooloo, Potholer, if you must fight, don't fight over each other... fight over us!

agcB

Post 583

?

My big mouth has helped me a few times in "difficult circumstances". I can honestly say I'm never drunk when I go out (I know when I have enough, and when I have to switch to water, and most importantly, I DO this), and sometimes potential agressors can simply be subdued by talking a lot while NOT showing any fear (even if you're scared s**tless).
In the best case, "the enemy" will just stare back dumbfounded, and possibly forget why he was starting a fight (some drunks have impaired memories).
In a worst case scenario, you can gain enough time confusing "the enemy" so you partner can get away to safety or get help.
If it's a "one on one"-thing, having a (really) big mouth will solve most problems, and if push comes to shove (and it's the only way out), you'll be able to hit the confused "enemy" first (luckily I've never had to do this, but due to my sense of self-preservation, I wouldn't hesitate).

Post 584

Babel17

Also, thankfully never been in that situation. Also wouldn't know what I would do or be capable of. I feel it would go one of 2 ways.
If it'a a 1-2-1 situation, I would either kick some almighty butt or get my butt kicked almightilly smiley - winkeye
personally, I never want to find out.

Post 585

?

Sadly, some women seem to go for the bullies. I had proof of that Sunday night at a club, when a girl I "used to know" made her new boyfriend come over and try to start a fight. He gave up after he noticed I wasn't intimidated and I simply ignored him (I wasn't worried: I've got a VIP-membership at that club, and the security is perfect: lucky, for he must have weighed twice as much as me).

Post 586

?

I noticed a little explanation is necessary: "used to know" simply means I dated the girl a few times (it didn't work out at all), which she now denies (I don't know why, and I don't really care).

Post 587

Mrs V

I deny flatly to anyone from school who asks if i dated the Class Mormon (not a spelling mistake, though it might as well be, bless all the personality of a wet hankercheif, but thats besides the point)
We are apt to do that us birds i feel!
hxx

Post 588

?

Well, I don't mind her denying it, after all, it wasn't me that spread the story to begin with, but I DO mind her setting up blokes who have nothing to do with it to "avenge" her...

Post 589

You can call me TC

I once went out for 22 months with a guy because the class nymphomaniac drooled over him. I wasn't really interested. Big mistake. He was, and was devastated when I decided it was time I spread my wings. Still, he was a wimp in more ways than one, and certainly could not take his drink.

Post 590

You can call me TC

Don't know why I said that. goes to show though, that appearances don't always give everything away. He was very tall - there does seem to be a tendency for tall or big guys to be soft, or do I move in the wrong circles.

Post 591

Munchkin

I.e. The wee hard man attitude recently parodied by Harry Enfield and often seen in Glaswegians. Short people do have the reputation of being more violent, because they get more hassle. Big guys are generally safe from such things, due to looking more difficult to take on. I reckon its a load of nonsense mind.
Unfortunately, due to my stature I have on a number of occasions been offered the opportunity to join in a fight. Not that they wanted to fight me, they thought, being a short Weegie I'd be handy in a fight. I should like to point out that I am not, unless of course I have a pointy stick to hand.

Post 592

Shea the Sarcastic

Now that's what I like in a man! A short Weegie with a pointy stick! smiley - winkeye

Post 593

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Typical! A posting about what we women look for in a man turns to fighting.This is the point at which most women would say why bother?
smiley - smiley

aggression/strong silent type etc

Post 594

Juliet

Aren't we really saying that what we like in a man is confidence?. Ever notice how it's not necessarily the noisiest chimp that's the dominant one. He's usually quiet but knows where the resources are and how to get them. The other chimps always keep him somewhere in view. Human blokes take note.

Post 595

Sidney Kidney, AKA Gruby Ben, friend of Dirty Den

Potholer, Im no uncommunicative psychopathic, I just change my body language an attitude when a confrontation situation occurs.

Whether it be an aggressor in the pub or getting short changed in a petrol station. Saying and doing nothing but showing that you are not a happy camper normaly does the trick.

Be wary though. There is a fine line between being confidently in control and arrogance.... Get it right and it will stand most in good sted.

Ever seen Jack Carter in the Film "Get Carter"? He had the confident control off to a tee!!

smiley - cool

Post 596

Hooloovoo

> Aren't we really saying that what we like in a man is confidence?

Thats certainly where I need to improve. I have no confidence when a guy starts on me. Unfortunately, to get confidence involves getting experience, and since I have to intention of getting into fights just for the experience thats kinda a problem.

I'm also too shy. I have no trouble talking to women, just appoaching them. Most of my friends are female, cos I get on with women much better than I do with guys. The main problem I have is when I meet someone whom I fancy, I somehow always manage to bypass the girlfriend stage and go straight to best-friend.

So providing I get past the meeting barrier, and we get talking, I then need to do something different to make sure the relationship goes in the girlfriend direction rather than the justfriend direction. However I have no idea what that is, any suggestions??

Hooloovoo

Post 597

Rainbow (Slug no longer)

A protective man might seem to be appealing, however for protective read possessive. Men who fight over women (something I've personally experienced) do it not, as it may seem, to 'protect' the lady they're with, but to defend their 'possession'. I shall now be very weary of any man who resorts to violence for whatever reason, it is basically a sign of an agressive, possessive nature.

Post 598

Beky

Hands. They have to be strong but not overpowering. When he touches you there should be electricity and when he holds you he should make you feel protected but in control some of the time. Confused? Ha. Serves you right for not being Ed....woah, stop the personal stuff right now before they think you're some kind of a ######....she is sane really but it is not always clear to the casual observer....like my origional nickname? I thought it up all by myself don't you know. It's taken from my name which is Beky...witty huh?

Post 599

Hooloovoo

Hi Beky, you new here then??

*looks like another girl to add to my collection....* Sorry, did I say that out loud???? smiley - yikes

Welcome to H2G2. The first thing you should do is click on my name at the top of this post, go to my homepage and have a go at the test. smiley - biggrin

Hooloovoo

Post 600

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

You're incorrigable, Hooloovoo! smiley - biggrin

G7

Key: Complain about this post