A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What do you women look for in a man?

Post 561

Juliet

Blimey mate - you've only just started!! Give us a chance. Interested in knowing what you think a woman SHOULD look for in a man.

Post 562

Tefkat

I think a man needs a tiny dose of the b*****d gene.
I once had a boyfriend whose sister was being threatened in the street by her b*****d boyfriend. Her Mum went out to try to protect her and he pushed her (the Mum) over. Her husband just said it was her own fault for interfering.
This made me ask my bf what he would do if I was ever threatened. He said "Run". He claimed that since I should be able to outrun the assailants there was no point in him hanging around to get hurt. smiley - erm

Now, would any of you girls choose a gent like that?

Post 563

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

I think that all women, at least in their subconcious, have the knight in shining armour fantasy. When a man confirms that he would just run away, it kills that.

Sad but true...

G7

Post 564

Zorpheus - I'm so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

You gals seem to be getting the B*****D gene mixed up with the protective gene.
It's the black night with the B*****D gene that kidnaps, rapes and beats you, and the night in shinning armor that comes to your rescue to fight the black night that has the protective gene.
The pitty is, most girls don't realize the difference.

Post 565

If you look at it in terms of genes, however, you'll see that there is very little difference. Its all the agression gene. The important thing is how the funnel the agressive genes. If they direct it towards the woman, then this is a bad thing and the woman should get away. If they use it to be protective, all the better.

Basically, its less the gene and more what the man does with it that's important. Why does that sound familiar... smiley - winkeye

G7

Post 566

Potholer

Looking for obvious displays of aggression can be misleading - mouthy or cocky blokes can be the first to run at the sight of danger, assuming they aren't the ones to start trouble in the first place.
Sometimes quiet men can be seriously resolute when the occasion demands (after all, many women can be extremely tenacious when it comes to defending themselves or their loved ones without showing any outward sign that they might be).

*Very* few things come down to *one* gene

Post 567

You can call me TC

I had an interesting converstain with a recently-divorced friend this afternoon. She finds that she is becoming more aggressive lately. Not towards her children, but to colleagues, etc. This reminds me of some species where they can change their gender at will - if there is a surfeit of males, for example, some become females and vice versa. Perhaps it's filling in the gaps left by the departed spouse. Will be interesting to see if Rainbow develops, for the sake of self-defence and self-preservation, some 'male' characteristics, as, from my experience, most women manage without men once they've divorced.

As Marge's sister Thelma says in our Simpsons' calendar - "Once you've sown the seeds you throw away the envelope"

Post 568

You can call me TC

conversation conversation conversation. Sorry, miss.

Post 569

Sidney Kidney, AKA Gruby Ben, friend of Dirty Den

Potholer, the quiet man can be taken the wrong way by both sexes.

People say that I can be steely cold and will show little or no emotion in situations, whether they be good or troublesome.

The upside is that in a confrontational situation people are unable to read you reactions.... this is very unnerving for the recipient.

On the down side, if you are perceived cold and unemotional, then relationships are difficult.

Sid smiley - cool

Post 570

Hooloovoo

I think something's been hit on here (pardon the pun).

My philosophy has always been "run away, terribly fast". I go to pieces so fast people get hit by the shrapnel. (I also quote DNA far too much... smiley - winkeye)

Although what I would do if my girl and I were confronted alone in the street, I'm not sure what I would do since I've never been in that situation. I certaintly wouldn't run, but other than that I don't know. I'm not a fighter.

Post 571

Potholer

There's quiet, as in cold, uncommunicative and potentially psycopathic, and then there's quiet as in gentle or sensitive.

As far as avoiding trouble is concerned, simply not appearing as either a threat or a worthwhile conquest can often be quite protective for a man, even if unfortunately the same is too often not true for a woman.
Given how many violent male-male conflicts seem to be alcohol fuelled, I've found that pretending to be seriously drunk in the 'everybody's my mate' state of mind can be quite good at defusing many situation. Even if things don't go to plan, you've at least got a chance of a few moment's confusion when you miraculously sober up. smiley - smiley

Post 572

Hooloovoo

Hey!! Thats a good one smiley - smiley I'll try that next time some git starts on me.....

Hooloovoo

Post 573

Tefkat

Hey, is Potholer already taken?smiley - loveblush

Post 574

Potholer

As a *solo* defence strategy, it's OK, but I guess it might be less impressive in mixed company.

(Just squint a little, smile, look confused, point vaguely at something off to the side that you don't appear to be able to focus on, and burp a few times with a hand covering your mouth)

That said, there *is* the Taoist saying that someone who knows how to safeguard their life would never be attacked by tigers while walking in the forest, or wounded by the weapons of war in battle, since someone who *really* knew how to live a proper life would never go to a place where he would be in danger.
There's only *so* much that can be learned by hanging around in the same places as agressive alcoholics.

Post 575

I think he's avoiding the question, Tefkat. smiley - winkeye

Not getting into the situation is always the best. The first lesson I got in martial arts was how to avoid nasty fights. The second was how to break my opponent, then run away. I think that this pretty much sums everything up. smiley - biggrin

G7

Post 576

Potholer

Bit of a simulpost there.
Oooh - I'm all embarrassed now smiley - blush

Post 577

Potholer

*Avoiding*? - at least give me a chance to answer smiley - smiley

Post 578

Hooloovoo

Well its certainly better than anything I can come up with when confronted...

Post 579

Tefkat

Now Children. Play nice.smiley - winkeye

Post 580

Hooloovoo

and if Potholers taken, dont forget I'm not smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post