A Conversation for H2G2 Film Club

I call the first meeting of the film club to Order! *bangs Hammer*

Post 1

Z

Helloo well those ideas above are just mine, there's a few I've got floating around about how we run things that I shuold deal with before we get started..

First film. We can't have a race in a first to the thread way for the first film. So we need suggestions. All welcome Dr Zhagvao's lover has been suggested at the Salon, that seems a damn good one to me. Mainly because I haven't seen it and my Dad says it's good. Most films he tells me to watch turn out to be quite good in the end.

Is a month too long? or too short a length of time to be talking about a film?

I have created a seperate account to do film club stuff from... if anyone else would like to share it with me then please please please let me know..

Post 2

Candi - now 42!

Hi Z! smiley - ok

You can sign me up if that's how you're doing things U187278

I think Dr Zhivago is a good idea for first film.

One film a month seems about right but could be changed if people were finding it difficult to keep up. (IMO any more than one a month would be too much.)

Post 3

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

Dr Zhivago is a classic and a good place to start, I think. Although we should examine some stranger movies as well, eventually - we are all researchers on HooToo after all. smiley - laugh

One a month gives plenty of time for everyone to see it, decide how they feel, and give commentary. I think that's perfect timing, personally.

*munches smiley - popcorn in preparation for the film viewing to come*

Post 4

Witty Moniker

I've never seen Dr. Zhivago, so that suits me just fine. smiley - biggrin

smiley - popcorn

Post 5

Courtesy38

Dr. Zhivago sounds good to me, as I've never seen it either.

And I agree with G7 that we should definitely trip down some of the lesser used paths.

Courtesy

PS - One month seems good to me. After we get the hang of it we might think of having a viewing time and a discussion time, where the two could overlap.

Post 6

FG

A month is fine, especially when you consider differing (and busy) schedules. I like Doctor Zhivago for a first choice as well. I haven't seen it in *years*.

*settles back and sneaks a handful of Gwen's extra-buttered smiley - popcorn*

Post 7

Candi - now 42!

Does this mean people will be scrabbling to be first to the forum so they get to inflict obscure film recommendations on us all? smiley - winkeye

Seriously though, I welcome that idea. It'll be good to share them. smiley - smiley

Post 8

Take as much as you like, FG. Gotta watch my girlish figure. smiley - winkeyesmiley - popcorn

Post 9

Afgncaap5

I've gotta say, "Dr. Zhivago" has been on my "I need to watch this movie soon" list for almost a year, so this should really work.

A month....Most people seem to think that it's a good idea, and it probably is. I would've done it faster, but I set unrealistic expectations on myself and others so it's probably good this way.

Just a warning, though: the first time I'm first to the forum, I'm picking a cheesey sci-fi movie. It could be anything from Stanley Kubrick to Ed Wood, so watch out.smiley - evilgrin

Post 10

Hypatia

Dr. Zhivago was the first film that my husband and I saw together. smiley - smiley I haven't seen if for a long time and would enjoy watching it again.

smiley - musicalnote Somewhere my love, there will be songs to sing; Although the snow......smiley - musicalnote

So do we start discussing it a month from now? And then we discuss it for a month? Sorry, but you'll have to draw me a picture.

Hyp

Post 11

Hypatia

I don't suppose we could only discuss movies made from books and compare the two.....nah. Ignore me. The librarian is coming out again. smiley - erm

Hypsmiley - book

Post 12

The smiley - book are almost always better anyway, Hyp. Unless you are willing to look at the two as completely separate entities, that is. In which case both can be very enjoyable indeed. smiley - biggrin

Post 13

Afgncaap5

Comparing books to movies is just asking for sadness on some level. Either the director will be too good for the author (very rare), or the author will be too good for the director after the comparison is made. That's why I forced myself not to re-read anything by Tolkien before the Rings movies came out.smiley - winkeye

We could theoretically start watching Dr. Zhivago now. I mean, we've not even lost a week of the month yet, and this is a month with five weekends anyway. It'd be short notice, but that'd just make it all the more enjoyable. That plus I don't know if I want to wait a month before talking about something.smiley - biggrin

But seriously, ignore me. I'm the one who'll probably say, "Now then, there are three version of Little Shop Of Horrors. First watch the one by Roger Corman, then watch a recording of the stage play, then watch the 1980's musical film that was based on the stage play. Let's compare the three."

Post 14

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I may give this a go. Sign me up

Post 15

Z

Well Dr Zhavago it is then.

I suggest we start to watch it around now. It's always good to get these things off to a quick start whilst we still all seem keen...

Remember we don't have to wait a month to start talking about it. We can do that as soon as we've seen it! If you can't find it to watch this week then just join in when you have watched it..

Z

Post 16

Coniraya

Omar Sharif smiley - bigeyes

Post 17

Demon Drawer

Julie Christie

smiley - bigeyes

Omar Sharif

smiley - bigeyes

Oh the joys of bi-sexuality

Post 18

Demon Drawer

Haven't seen that for *years*

Bought my Mum a 30th or 35th anniversary Box set a few years ago. It was the first movie my dad took her too when they were at uni.

Post 19

Afgncaap5

Well then, I'll try to track down a copy of the movie so that I can view it. Hopefully, my studies (resuming tomorrow) won't make me too busy for this thing.

Post 20

Titania (gone for lunch)

Count me in <./>U135628</.>

*thinking that she might have the film taped on video already, possibly*

Did you know that it was partly filmed in Helsinki since trying to get permission to shoot a film in the USSR during the Cold War was asking for trouble?

Obviously the h2g2 search function still isn't working - I contributed with Helsinki to this entry: A765984

Key: Complain about this post