H2G2 Film Club

10 Conversations

Ladies, Gentlemen, animals and others, gather your smiley - popcorn, smiley - hotdog, and some smiley - crisps, it's almost time for the film now showing on the main screen. Please make your way towards screen One, and take your seats.

A magnolia in a strip of film

Are movies your passion? - Join the h2g2 film club

We realised recently that there were plenty of films that we'd missed when they came out, and we never got around to seeing. Every time we went to the cinema or rented a video at home we seemed to see a new release, rather than waiting forever until they came on TV at a time when we convinently had a few hours to spare. We decided to set up a film club,and a good few of our friends seemed to want to join in as well.

The Film of the Month-

Every month we choose a film, one that has been released all around the world, and is easily available on VHS or DVD. Then we watch it, then we talk about it! Simple. Of course you can browse the thread before you watch the film, but we might accidently reveal the plot.

After a month we'll move to a new thred, and the first person to that thread chooses another film. Which we watch, and then talk about.

But I never go to the Movies

We don't expect you to go to see every film at the cinemea, we'll be picking films that are widely available on VHS and DVD so you can watch them at home.

I don't have time to watch a film every month

If you don't have time you could subscribe to the page and see what we are watching, you don't have to join in every month. Just join in when you do have time to watch a film, or perhaps we might be talking about your favourite movie of all time so you don't acutally need to watch it again.

So You Want to Join the Flim Club?

That's marvellous news, please do post here to let us know. But to keep up with the conversations it would be a good idea if you subscribed to this page.

How do we choose a film?

On the first of every month someone1 will start a new thread, the first researcher too post will get to choose that months film. So that you're not stuck for ideas we're taking suggestions. So far we have:-

  • La Cite des Enfants Purdue
  • I'm All Right Jack
  • Amelie
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Casablanca
  • The Producers
  • Secretary
  • Dr Strangelove - or how I learnt to stop worrying and love the bomb
  • Donnie Darko
  • Denver When You are Dead
  • Metropolis
  • Blake Edwards' "The Great Race"

Don't like these films? can you think of a better one - let us know here.

Don't forget the Oscars...

Demon Drawer is running the Fourth Annual H2G2 Acadamy Awards. Don't miss your chance to vote!

1Z

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2177778

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more