A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

13 October - New Registration

Post 321

OETZI

Things are OK. What do you expect with a Cumbrian in the wheelhouse!


13 October - New Registration

Post 322

Whisky

smiley - steam

Oi! Watch it - there are a few of us around you know!


smiley - cross
Whisky - ex.pat Cumbrian

smiley - winkeye


13 October - New Registration

Post 323

OETZI

Acknowledged lass, ah nars me pless!


13 October - New Registration

Post 324

Alison (ACE)

In Brunel you used to be able to click on your name in the top right hand corner, just under the search box and it would take you to your space but now that's gone. Or is that just me?! Where's it gone? I keep forgetting and having to move to the other side of the screen to click "my space"!!


13 October - New Registration

Post 325

Jim Lynn

It's because that box has been replaced by the Single Sign-On bar, which has taken over its purpose.


13 October - New Registration

Post 326

Alison (ACE)

Was its purpose not to take you to your personal space? Because the single sign on bar doesn't do that - you have to click on "my space" on the left. Not that I'm complaining - I'm just curious!!


13 October - New Registration

Post 327

Jim Lynn

Obviously, the utility of that feature wasn't noticed when putting the SSO bar together. I could make the login name in the bar link to your space, but it doesn't help so much as it's in a completely different place.


13 October - New Registration

Post 328

Alison (ACE)

That would still be quite cool though. It's not in a *completely* different place in that it's still at the top as opposed to at the side. I still keep putting my mouse pointer to the top then thinking "where's my name gone?!" then realising and having to move it to the side! I'm so lazy that this is a chore for me!! smiley - laugh


13 October - New Registration

Post 329

Wøñkø

*shakes head*


laziness just gets in the way of everything...


I've tried to go a full day without ever not doing something because of laziness but i couldn't make it...


13 October - New Registration

Post 330

Cyzaki

Why do we have an ugly single sign-on bar anyway?

smiley - panda


13 October - New Registration

Post 331

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Another advantage of that box in brunel was that it told you your nickname. Originally the SSO bar showed the nickname and so replaced that, but now it doesn't.

spelugx


13 October - New Registration

Post 332

You can call me TC

Three days in and I still haven't got an e-mail saying I've re-registered, but I've been posting merrily since, with no trouble, except a little at first - I just went away for a night and when I came back, everything was fine. As a goo-with-frames user I am absolutely delighted that NO changes are visible and I hope it stays that way. The bar telling me I'm not who I am is only visible when I'm writing a post (have just discovered it) - and as I'm writing a post, I'm not looking at the top of the screen anyway, so I can ignore it.

Having got into trouble with the Italics for questioning the sense of introducing the Alabaster skin (not to mention anything after that) I won't ask what all this is about, especially as I'm not affected by any of these changes you lot are describing.

I take it that the changes are because we are becoming further integrated into the BBC.

My point, however, remains: For me, Hootoo is about the content - it is more important to communicate with each other with the occasional meaningful post, and to write juicy, informative entries than to fuss about with new buttons or moving existing buttons, inventing new skins or removing the "Don't Panic" button.

Having said that, I will admit that when the "new posts" feature is working, it will be a useful addition, and I thank Jim for it.


13 October - New Registration

Post 333

AK - fancy that!

that random top user thing disappeared.. or maybe its sut not there unless I'm logged on... smiley - erm


13 October - New Registration

Post 334

Ace Rimmer [pretending]

I keep getting error messages saying "505 not implemented" or something like that, whenever I try to refresh.


13 October - New Registration

Post 335

Wøñkø

how did you post that while not being on...?


13 October - New Registration

Post 336

Afgncaap5

I've got mixed feelings about the bar. It reminds me of the alabaster skin, and that's something that I don't like thinking about when looking at the beauty of Classic Goo.


13 October - New Registration

Post 337

Trin Tragula

Er - does anyone know where the 'busiest conversations' bit went? It seems to have disappeared from the front page and it was nice to be able to see where everyone was. smiley - erm


13 October - New Registration

Post 338

Jim Lynn

The top fives on the frontpage have broken, and we're fixing them now.


13 October - New Registration

Post 339

toybox

I miss the "Logout" facility on the left bar, just below "Feedback". Not that I actually enjoy logging out, mind you.


13 October - New Registration

Post 340

Mina

I must admit I've had trouble remembering where to log out a couple of times. smiley - laugh The answer is to not ever leave h2g2. Muahahaha!


Key: Complain about this post