A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

Hello everyone

And welcome to the new h2g2. I hope you're all enjoying yourselves, and there's not too many bugs around the place.

Unfortunately we've found a small one this morning - the yikes button is not always working.

We're working on this now - but if you spot anything that needs removing please e mail [email protected] with a URL and a short explanation.

Please remember that the moderators are all volunteers (and some of us are at work, in jobs other than running h2g2), so use this carefully. This is not an excuse to mess around - the filter is still in action - and we can still put people on pre mod, post mod etc.

I'll post when this is fixed.

Z


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 2

Ancient Brit

Arrived safe and sound - Well done all. smiley - cheers
If you can make it here you can make it anywhere. smiley - ok


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 3

The H2G2 Editors

It was working.. we spent most of the test period yikesing each other for fun!


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 4

Icy North



But I'm sure the management will assure you that these posts are held by trusted, dedicated staff who will uphold the site's security policy fairly and sensitively.


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 5

h5ringer

Not seeing anything of your name tag in Brunel, just the online eyes


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 6

Icy North

Thanks h5, I'll raise it on Redmine.

(It does work in Alabaster, of course)


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 7

Icy North

Raised as bug #239

smiley - cheers Icy


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 8

h2g2 Guide Editors

Morning everyone!


Well if all we have to worry about is a small thing like that - which will be fixed pronto, then I think we should all celebrate.


(Lanzababy)


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 9

Z

smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - bubbly

I guess you'd all rather have h2g2 without a working yikes button than no h2g2.

*refreshes webmail again*

Humm.. no chaos yet...


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 10

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Perhaps we should start an "Occupy the Yikes" movement?

Nawww, just need another strong smiley - coffee, methinks ...


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 11

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Just noting the thread title. Someone has been spending too much time on Yahoo!...


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 12

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

I think the problem isn't just that the mods may not receive a yikes, but also that information doesn't come back to the yikeser. Moderation is a two way process. If the person doing the yikesing is not part of the process then why would they bother or trust the process?

I appreciate this is being sorted as soon as possible smiley - ok I'm just not sure about the idea that the bug is small (did that mean not very significant?).

I'm also aware that the posts I yikesed today, that didn't go through, are part of quite a serious problem.


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 13

Z

Hi.

I'm hoping it's the bug that's small, not the consequences of it. It also seems slightly intermittent. When you contacted me yesterday I looked into it, and it seemed to be sorted - we re-tested it and it worked.

Then this morning of course it came back. Which is why I made this announcement.

It is a serious problem, and we're working to get it solved. If anyone thinks anything needs yikesing they can e mail [email protected] and it will be dealt with.

We'll also reply to the person who e mailed with feedback on what happened.




Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 14

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Thanks Z smiley - ok I guess the problem for me is that I don't know if a decision has been made about my complaint, or if it hasn't been looked at yet.

I'll put it through again at the mods account.


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 15

Z

Thanks Kea.


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 16

I'm not really here

Just out of interest, do the volunteers have to sign anything as they now have access to a lot of email addresses?


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 17

Simetra

Well that was painless and I didn't PANIC, pleased to get through the re-registration with no problems....Good Luck to all the editorssmiley - cheers


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 18

Vip

Depends which volunteer group they are in. Most don't have access to emails at all.

Certain groups also have to not only sign up to a Code of Conduct but provide their real-life identities to Aly Larholm from the Noesis wing of Not Panicking Ltd.

smiley - fairy


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 19

I'm not really here

Thanks Vip. So far today I've emailed Gurus and moderators, and anyone with access to an italic account would have access as well...


Announcements from the new h2g2! editors. Small bug with the yikes button.

Post 20

Z

Nope. I can confirm that feature has been removed from the italic accounts..


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more