A Conversation for The Café

The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1541

Dizzy H. Muffin

[Mog] Really. And here I was, thinking that a paper tiger meant more something like an imagined threat. smiley - winkeye


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1542

logicus tracticus philosophicus

washing up liquid smeard on the wall also helps with removeall.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1543

Coniraya

Thanks for tips, GL and Ltp smiley - ok We invested in a steamer a while ago, No1 son uses that whilst I do the tricky bits near the light switches and plug sockets, it didn't seem a good idea to have rivulets of water running down the wall near electricity smiley - yikes. Even with the steamer and scoring through the paint layers it is still hard graft.

There aren't any agency District and Community nurses here, very few choose to do the work. The actual patient care such as bathing and dressing is done by the Social Services here. D.Ns and C.Ns do the dressings, blood tests etc for those who are unable to get to a Doctor's surgery and the day surgery pre and post op visits. According to my ex-colleagues this is a rapidly growing area.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1544

Z

Her care is being provided by the "immediate care nurses" I wasn't aware of them so I presume it's a new concept in nurses. They that provide short term care to people that would otherwise have to be in hospital for "social reasons". The do treatment for DVTs, care for people who are temporially unable to care for themselves for medical reasons, or because they have recently had an operation, and they also administer IV antibiotics. They can do washing, dressing, getting up, feeding, laundry, and refer to Occupational Therapy and Physios. They also seem to take responsiblity for things and coordinate care very well. Again far better than I could do.

Social services take over after six weeks, because then it becomes a long term problem, on paper anyway.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1545

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

IIEM, the usu...

yeah, thanks. I know, I know. You'd like me to be a little more creative. Sorry.

Ah, well. Off on my own little adventure today. Writing my research paper, and I just feel ill. I just found a master's thesis that pretty much does what I am doing. Damn, damn, damn.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1546

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Montana why dam why not look at it from the opposeing view if nothing else it will make your finished article stronger and more fullfilling.
or depress the hell out of you
ca la vie
Look Lil mangled french


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1547

Bald Bloke

Wanders in

The IIEM immediatly produces a smiley - tea without being asked.


I can't help wondering if it's getting jealous of <BB<'s smiley - tea making.

As for wallpaper paste, hot water, strong detergent and a nylon kitchen scouring pad seem'd to work for me.

I'm pleased to say there is no wall paper left in this flat.

Now what I need is a "cure" for the sand textured paint that a previous owner used in the hall way.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1548

Garius Lupus

We had something like that, BB. In our front hallway and sunroom, the walls were once covered with stucco. The kind where it sticks out in little points. Well, some previous owner didn't like it and had it plastered over (yay!), but they did a crap job of plastering (boo), and then painted it without using primer (boo boo) and then wallpapered it (boo hoo). So, when we removed the wallpaper, some of the paint came off too, and where it didn't, wallpaper paste was stuck in the rough plaster.

In the front hall (one of the first rooms we did), I skimmed over the rough plaster with drywall mud and smoothed out most of it. In the sunroom (one of the last rooms we did - or rather, are doing), I just left it rough. It'll be an artistic decorating feature. smiley - silly


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1549

logicus tracticus philosophicus

Try aceyate type wash, "door stripper" or a light skim with sloopy artex a couple of time then line with lineing paper ,if area not to big scim off with a "adhesive" overthined slightly,or mix plaster with hot/glue and skim think outside the box
you decide your the one who will c**k it up do it with style, smiley - cool


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1550

Hati

*wonders how her next home will look like*


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1551

coelacanth

*sneaks in and leaves a copy of d'elephant's excellent Edited Guide Entry on the table before sneaking out again.*
A577163
smiley - bluefish


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1552

Titania (gone for lunch)

IIEM, a... thanks *pulls up a brown paper bag*

*puts the bag away again*

*wondering why she wanted to use the contents in the café*

*remembers that she used to do her 'drinking' in the Atelier, which has recently mostly been about conversation more than imagining the general surroundings, such as Matina's baking, and her excellent service to come up with any drink (including those containing alcohol, no offence intended, IIEM)*

*remembers when she was fully content to order the drinks supplied by the IIEM without adding anything herself*

Times seem to have changed a little, don't they now? *ponders*

Oh - and Hati and I have an entry in PR right now - I don't know if my photos will make it to the (hopefully) edited entry, so if you want to know what a snow lantern looks like, check out this: A2196353


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1553

Bluebottle

*smiley - runs so fast he doesn't even get time to put the v/_\3 on*

My 37,040 word article will be in Peer Review soon - it's been split up into 15 articles though...

<BB<


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1554

Z

And I'm looking forward to reading it smiley - biggrin

Thankfully my Grandad's out of hospital, and my Grandma seems a lot brighter, they're both back to their old selves. Bossy, domineering, and definately the senior members of the family. It was very surreal when my Granma was ill, and actually treating me as someone older than the age of 12.

And somehow my extended family seem to be talking to me again.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1555

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

For the textured sand paint, wash with TSP mixture, and then let dry and plaster over with a thin layer of plaster.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1556

Dizzy H. Muffin

[Mog] Interestingly enough, for Latin class I'm having to do a report on Jason and the Argonauts, and their Quest for the Holy Gr -- I mean the Golden Fleece. smiley - winkeye


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1557

logicus tracticus philosophicus

yes panning for gold by slinging in wool bales is still practised in some parts of the world, now was the "tale of the golden fleece" one of the first gold rushes.


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1558

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Removing wallpaper is the pits. I avoided it by writing that entry. I still have the kitchen and the upstairs hallway to do, and the upstairs hallway has the second-most-hideous wallpaper on earth (the most hideous wallpaper on earth was what I removed as "research" for that entry).

IIEM, another coffee please. This one has gotten cold while I've sat here idly for the last 2 weeks.
smiley - dog


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1559

Montana Redhead (now with letters)

I've finished with the introduction, background and historiography section of my research paper. All I have left are the two big ones...the analysis of the 13th century bulls relating to the Franciscan order, and the analysis of John XXII's bulls and constitutions dealing with the Spiritual Franciscans.

Yippee!


The Aroma Café: Past Christmas

Post 1560

Hati

IIEM, a blue java, please. smiley - yawn


Key: Complain about this post