The h2g2 Post 03.05.07

4 Conversations


Posted: 3rd May 2007


 

 


Happy Birthday, h2g2!smiley - bubbly

One-quarter of a score and three years ago our Founder brought forth upon this Internet, a new website, conceived in the mind of a visionary and dedicated to the proposition that everyone, everywhere, really does need a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or at best a towel.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. It is certainly true, though, that last Saturday to little fanfare except the odd journal entry, h2g2 quietly celebrated its eighth birthday in the company of a few dedicated friends. The Spring Meet was held in this anniversary's honour, and Researchers around the world privately toasted the health of our fair site.

It's almost strange to think, really, that we've been around since 1999 — before we were managed by the BBC, before the UnderGuide and The Post, before the number of advances and tragedies that have come to shape the 21st Century, before I, young person that I am, even owned a computer. I've only been around for two and a half years, and even that seems like forever, so ingrained is h2g2 in my life. I'm pretty proud of the dear site, our collective child, who is growing up to be a big, strong corner of the Internet.

When you consider h2g2's age in terms of human years, it's hardly surprising (and here's where I actually editorialize) that the place has been a bit quiet and usual in the past year or so. We're out of the toddler years, the 'Terrible Twos' of Auntie Beeb's takeover, and we haven't yet hit teenagerhood. The teenager in me can only hope that when (knock on wood) our fair site hits 13, the rebellion will be terrible and wonderful to behold! (Because I'm 17, and I like revolutions.) We could use a bit of a shakeup 'round the place, methinks.

You know what we could also use? (Segue, segue!) Yes, your submissions of course! This issue is unfortunately a bit sparse (and you've had to deal with my lengthly editorial, because I had so much free time after editing this issue) so submissions, please, to the Post Box by Sunday, May 13, which just happens to be Mothers' Day in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the States, according to my calendar. Thanks much as always, and enjoy this edition of The Post!


echomikeromeo


 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 

 

 

 
REGULARS

 

 

 

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A20081873

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more