h2g2 Post 17.01.02

0 Conversations


Posted: 17th January 2002

Editorial

Fashionably late as usual!

Is it me? Do I emit some strange power over electrical equipment of which I am blissfully unaware?

My computer returned yesterday with just about every item (except the hard drive thank goodness) replaced. 'We think it was subjected to a lightning strike' was the comment by the retailer. We weren't going to argue with that, especially as there was no charge (no pun intended).

It was, however, highly unlikely this happened. There are two computers in the same room, connected to the same power supply, and the second one escaped unscathed... apparently.

So imagine my horror when, on this second computer, first the ADSL connection failed, then the other one was permanently reporting 'line busy' because our phone appeared not to work and, to make matters even worse, the mouse stubbornly refused to move, let alone work for a living.

After a few frustrating hours the simple solution with the mouse was to plug in my (now returned) mouse-with-a-tail. A few phonecalls to the telephone help site found a dialing tone again, although the internet connection proved exceptionally slow and tricky to maintain - the ADSL/Wanadoo problem will have to wait until morning.

Now all we have to do is reconfigure this computer to talk to my computer again and persuade it that it really wants to allow mine to use the super-fast internet connection it has, so far, being deprived of!

Enough excuses for you all? Great! I'll leave you in peace to read then. smiley - smiley


shazzPRME

 
 
FeaturesRegulars

  • AGG/GAG

  • Another great issue from the AGG team including

    another story.


  • Film Review

  • 'The Brotherhood of the Wolf' reviewed

    by Jedi Jade.

  • The Post Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A646085

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more