Star Constellations: Taurus the Bull

2 Conversations

Or sweet Europa's mantle blew unclasp'd,

From off her shoulder backward borne;

From one hand droop'd a crocus;

The other grasp'd the mild bull's golden horn.


- Alfred, Lord Tennyson - The Palace of Art.

Taurus the Bull


Origin: Ancient Greek (Tauros)

Latin: Taurus

Genitive: Tauri

Short form: Tau

Area: 800 sq deg

Co-ordinates: 4h, +15°
Sign of the Zodiac: 21 April to 20 May1.

Taurus is a major constellation in the Northern Hemisphere and the second sign of the western zodiac. Situated just to the north-east2 of Orion the Hunter, Orion's 'belt' (zeta Ori: Alnitak; epsilon Ori: Alnilam; and delta Ori: Mintaka) is roughly lined up with the 'eye of the bull' - the giant reddish orange star Aldebaran3 (alpha Tauri). Once this star has been identified, the constellation itself can be discerned; the main stars form a 'V' which are taken to be the bull's head and horns.

Objects of particular interest include:

  • Aldebaran (alpha Tauri), known to the Romans as Palilicium, is an orange giant star, 38 times the size of our own Sun. Aldebaran is around 65 light years distant, and it is the 14th brightest star in the night sky.

  • The Pleiades, (a Messier object - M45), is an open star cluster which contains over 3,000 stars. The Pleiades formed around 100 million years ago. We know the Pleiades is much younger than the Hyades cluster, because it contains several hot blue stars. Easily spotted with the naked eye, it is one of the most identifiable objects even for the novice astronomer. Turning binoculars or a small telescope upon M45 reveals its magnificence to the stunned viewer. The distance of 400 light years seems crossed in an instant and you almost feel like you can reach out and touch them. They truly are a spectacular sight.

  • The blue sub-giant star Merope (23 Tau) is surrounded by a nebula sometimes called Temple's Nebula, but it's more commonly known as Merope's Nebula, and NGC 1435.

  • The Hyades, another open star cluster, situated on the 'head' of the bull. At 150 light years distance, this cluster is the closest4 star cluster to us. The Hyades contains about 300 stars and formed around 400 million years ago. Ancient Greek poet and scholar Homer spoke of the Hyades to his students in 750 BC, this is the earliest mention of them (that we know of) in history.

  • The Crab Nebula (M1), a supernova remnant some 6,500 light years distant. The outermost 'horn' of the bull - the star designated zeta Tauri, is a blue giant. The Crab nebula is just beside it, located a little over a degree to the northwest of zeta Tauri, but you would need an optical aid to view it. There is a pulsar in the Crab nebula which spins extremely fast, emitting gamma and radio waves.

Prehistoric Planetarium

In 1940 a reported 16,500 year old map of the Pleiades star cluster was discovered on a cave wall at Lascaux in central France. Draped above the shoulder of a painted bull are markings which could represent the 'seven sisters'.

Around 17,000 years ago, this region of sky would never have set below the horizon and it would have been especially prominent at the start of spring. It is a map of the prehistoric cosmos. It was their sky, full of animals and spirit guides.

- Researcher Dr Michael Rappenglueck, of the University of Munich.

History

The ancient Egyptians identified Taurus with Osiris, the god of life, fertility and the flooding of the Nile (upon which all life in Egypt depended). They worshipped the figure Apis, which had either a human body with the head and horns of a bull, or a bull's body with a human head. On the ceiling of a tomb in Luxor (Thebes), a representation of the constellation Taurus is portrayed.

According to Exodus in the Bible, when Moses was busy up a mountain receiving the ten commandments, his followers got a bit bored. In the end they melted down all their collective gold and fashioned a bull which they then danced around and worshipped.

The Pleiades are mentioned in the Biblical book of Job, who speaks of the 'sweet influence' of them. The Pleiades are known in Sanskrit as Krittikas (the wives of the seven rishis). The rising of the Pleiades was considered a sign that the season for sailing had begun by ancient mariners, who believed a goddess protected sailors from storms.

The supernova which created the Crab nebula was seen from Earth in 1054. The actual stellar explosion5 took place 6,500 years before that, but it took the light until the year 1054 to reach us. It was so bright that it was viewable during the day and witnessed by Chinese astronomers, who kept meticulous records of the 'guest star'.

Stars

The scientific star names are simple to understand (if you know your Greek alphabet). 'Alpha Tauri' means that it is the brightest star in the constellation Taurus. The next brightest is 'beta Tauri', etc. Some are named stars, like alpha Tauri is Aldebaran, others are known by their catalogue numbers or 'designation'.

StarDesignationNameBrightnessDistance
(light years)
Spectral classification
and/or comments
α TauAlpha TauriAldebaran0.8568Orange giant
β TauBeta TauriElnath1.65131Blue giant
γ TauGamma TauriAmbrosia3.65154Orange giant in Hyades
δ TauDelta TauriEudora3.7150Orange giant in Hyades
ε TauEpsilon TauriCoronis3.6155Orbiting planet discovered in 1998
ζ TauZeta TauriShurnarkabti-sha-shutu63.0417Blue-white giant
η TauEta TauriAlcyone2.85440Binary in Pleiades
θ TauTheta TauriPhaesyla3.8153Orange giant in Hyades
ι TauIota Tauriunnamed (102 Tau)4.6160White dwarf
κ TauKappa Tauriunnamed (65 Tau)4.2152White sub-giant in Hyades
λ TauLambda TauriAlthaur3.42400Blue-white dwarf
μ TauMu TauriKattupothu4.3435Blue-white sub-giant
ν TauNu TauriFuribundus3.9130White dwarf
ξ TauXi TauriUshakaron3.7225Triple star system
ο TauOmicron TauriAtirsagne3.6220Yellow giant
π TauPi Tauriunnamed (73 Tau)4.7455Yellow giant
ρ TauRho Tauriunnamed (86 Tau)4.65160White dwarf in Hyades
σ TauSigma Tauriunnamed (91+92 Tau)5.0155Double star system in Hyades
τ TauTau Tauriunnamed (94 Tau)4.2400Triple star system
υ TauUpsilon Tauriunnamed (69 Tau)4.3155Triple star system in Hyades
φ TauPhi Tauriunnamed (52 Tau)5.0342Binary
χ TauChi Tauriunnamed (59 Tau)5.4270Binary
ψ TauPsi Tauriunnamed (42 Tau)5.292Yellow-white dwarf
ω TauOmega Tauriunnamed (43 Tau)5.5290Orange giant
5 TauSAO 93469Berhan Esat4.15360Orange giant
16 TauSAO 76126Celaeno (Lost Pleiad)5.45442Blue-white sub-giant
17 TauSAO 76131Electra3.7440Blue-white giant in Pleiades
19 TauSAO 76140Taygeta4.3440Triple star system in Pleiades
20 TauSAO 76155Maia3.9360Blue-white giant in Pleiades
21 TauSAO 76159Asterope5.75440Double dwarf system in Pleiades
23 TauV971 TauriMerope4.15440Blue-white sub-giant in Pleiades
27 TauSAO 76228Atlas3.6380Triple star system in Pleiades
28 TauBU Tauri'Purple' Pleione5.5440Blue-white dwarf
71 TauSAO 76155Polyxo4.5156Yellow-white variable in Hyades
119 TauSAO 94628unnamed (CE Tau)4.31,920Red supergiant

New General Catalogue Objects

NGCDesignation or
Common Name
BrightnessDistance
(light years)
Comments
NGC 1409UGC 282115.4300mAnti-clockwise spiral galaxy
NGC 1410UGC 2821B15.4300mClockwise spiral galaxy
NGC 1435Merope Nebula13.0440Reflection nebula
NGC 1514Crystal Ball Nebula10.01,950Planetary nebula
NGC 1555Hind's NebulaVariableUnknownVariable nebula
NGC 1952Crab Nebula8.46,300Supernova remnant

The two galaxies NGC 1409 and NGC 1410 are interacting and have collided many times. The gravitational pull is such that there is no escape for either of them and they will continue to bump and grind until they eventually become one huge galaxy.

The Taurids - a Meteor Shower

There is an annual meteor shower called the Taurids, so named because they appear to originate from the constellation of Taurus. Meteor showers occur when the Earth passes through the debris path left by the tail of a comet, in this case comet Encke. As the peak happens around the end of October, they are sometimes known as Hallowe'en fireballs.

Legend

Taurus represents the white bull who fell in love with a beautiful mortal, Europa, Phoenician princess of Tyre, daughter of King Agenor of Sidon. The white bull was, of course, Zeus (Jupiter), king of the gods, in one of his disguises. Attracted to the magnificent creature, Europa decorates his horns with a garland of flowers and cannot resist straddling him for a ride. The bull then carries her off across the waters to the continent which still bears her name. She resists his amorous attentions, so to have his wicked way, Zeus has to resort to rape7.

According to some interpretations, their third son became King Minos of Crete. The Minoan people were really into bull-worship. Queen Pasiphaë, the wife of King Minos, was so infatuated with a bull that she commissioned Daedalus to build a hollow wooden cow. The intention was to hide inside and fool the bull into coupling with her. The plan worked and the result of the mating was the Minotaur, a monster which was part-man, part-bull. Daedalus was then given the job of designing a labyrinth in which to imprison the Minotaur, by King Minos. Around 1450 BC the Minoan people who created the stories of the Minotaur and the Labyrinth vanished, possibly wiped out by a tsunami following a volcanic eruption.

The Pleiades

According to Greek mythology, Pleione (28 Tau) was the wife of Atlas (the god who carried the heavens upon his shoulders). They had seven daughters: Alcyone, Asterope, Celaeno, Electra, Maia, Merope and Taygeta. When the seven sisters8 complained that they were being pursued by Orion the hunter, the gods changed them into stars and they became the Pleiades.

The Hyades

The Hyades were also daughters of Atlas, but their mother was a goddess called Aethra. They had a much-loved brother, Hyas9, and when he died while out hunting, his sisters grieved so much that they never stopped crying. In legend the rising of the Hyades is a portent of rain, supposedly the continuous tears of the heartbroken sisters.

Famous Taureans

1This is fictional information invented by astrologers to make the sun fit their charts. The astrologers' charts have been out of date for about 2,000 years.2To the right if you are in the Northern Hemisphere.3Arabian meaning 'the follower'.4It would take light 150 years to reach us from there, and light travels extremely fast, around 186,000 miles per second. So 'close' in this case means 'astronomically close', not anywhere nearby.5According to the writers of Doctor Who, the Crab nebula was the result of the population of Uxarius giving their judgement day weapon a trial run.6An ancient Babylonian name meaning 'the star in the bull towards the south'.7The kidnapping and rape of Europa has been the subject of many poems and works of art, such as the 1580 ceiling painting in the Ducal Palace in Venice, Italy, by Paolo Veronese (1528 - 1588).8The Pleiades are traditionally known as the Seven Sisters, even though only six of them are visible to the naked eye.9Hyas was transformed into the constellation Aquarius.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A532207

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more