A Conversation for Aye... well... mmm

The weather report from Austin

Post 1

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Monday, November 24th 2003, 08.00

Cold enough for a walking stick!

Current temperature 34ºF, sky clear. Winter has arrived in Texas for the first time this season. I haven't seen the almanac for the past 24 hours, but if it's 34º now, it probably just about made freezing here in town and dipped below freezing in surrounding areas (some of which I see from the weather report are still at or just below 30º). This time yesterday it was around 72º - within two hours it had plunged to the low 50s and didn't get any higher than that.

This'll be that pattern for the next three months or so - relatively mild (upper 50s to upper 60s/low 70s) temperatures punctuated by cold fronts coming down from Canada bringing behind them very cold Arctic air and high pressure with clear skies.

Post 2

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

I watched a program on the Kennedy assassination last night, which showed flakes of snow falling in front of the Texas book depository. I had no idea it got quite so cold in Dallas.

It was a good program, saying what I'd believed all along: there was no conspiracy and Lee Harvey Oswald really was the sole assassin. For some people, wrapping oneself in paranoia is a nice way to insulate oneself from reality.

Post 3

frenchbean

Hi Gosho smiley - smiley

smiley - brr I'm glad it gets so cold somewhere else! We had minus 6C this morning - I guess that's around 24F. It took me 10 minutes to clear the car of ice before I could drive to work. Then I was taking a pool car to a meeting and had to spend 10 minutes clearing that one as well smiley - grr And I'm having to get used to fleece hat, gloves, scarves etc. It only got up to plus 6C (40F?) during the day.

The trouble with UK weather is that it's anything but predicable smiley - steam. But at least it gives all of us Poms something to talk about!

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Gosho is really the best, isn't he?
He gives us weather reports.
He warns us that there may be nuts in his threads. smiley - winkeye
He's trying to solve America's political problems, while simultaneously working for world peace (immoveable object, meet irresistible force. smiley - cheers

I saw a Dallas Cowboys game several years ago in which
there were several inches of snow on the playing field. smiley - erm

Post 5

GreyDesk

* basks in the South Coast micro-climate where it is merely a bit damp and a bit grey smiley - smiley *

Post 6

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

Gosho... I really feel for you down there in the frosty Texan nights... smiley - laugh Best come on up here to warm up!smiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 7

Or come to Boston, where it's
a balmy 50 degrees (Fahrenheit) smiley - winkeye

Post 8

9C (48.2 F) right now (0C with the windchill) here in balmy Ottawa

Post 9

Shea the Sarcastic

It's been warmer here than in Austin! smiley - cool

Post 10

Lady Scott

smiley - wowSame here - we're only down to 45F right now.

Post 11

It's gotten chillier here as the night has progressed. smiley - brr

Post 12

Shea the Sarcastic

We're supposed to have a front blow through here tonight. Rain and then colder. smiley - tongueout

Post 13

It's great to have something to look forward to. smiley - erm

Post 14

Lady Scott

It's already been raining here for a while and the temperature has dropped down to the low 40's... Expected to get down to freezing tonight! smiley - brr

Post 15

frenchbean

So it's not just the Brits who talk about weather - smiley - tongueout

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 16

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Tuesday, November 25th, 07.30

A little warmer this morning - current temperature 38ºF. Sky partly cloudy. Forecast to make the lower 60s this afternoon before another cold front comes through tomorrow, although the air behind this one isn't as cold as the air behind Sunday's front which gave us these low temps.

No precipitation yesterday. There's been some overnight snow in the Panhandle and in west Texas though.

It's around this time of the year that the urban 'heat island' effect really shows itself. Whilst areas around Austin have been below freezing the past two nights, the city itself has remained at or above freezing point. You don't have to go far before the effect fizzles out though - the airport is only a 10-15 minute drive from downtown Austin but they dipped to 30º last night.

Post 17

I think Annie Proulx wrote a book about the Texas
Panhandle. Apparently, the weather is not gentle
there. smiley - yikes

Or, Annie Proulx has a morbid imagination. smiley - erm

Post 18

frenchbean

Hello Gosho smiley - smiley

Are you turning into the h2g2 weather reporter? You'll certainly attract plenty of support and interest if the last 24 hours is anything to go by.

BTW: Perthshire, Scotland - torrential, horizontal sleet first thing; followed by driech cool day (6C); sunshine just before sunset at 4pm.

smiley - rofl

smiley - cheers
Frenchbean

Post 19

Paul... Re: Annie Proulx.. All of the above.

Post 20

smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more