A Conversation for Aye... well... mmm

I used to work here

Post 1

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

And I think I had the best years of it before it became just another soulless corporate monolith.
http://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/austin/news/2021/03/03/report--alamo-drafthouse-files-for-bankruptcy--to-close-some-locations-

I used to work here

Post 2

Baron Grim

This saddens me greatly. I loved the idea of the Alamo Drafthouse, but only got to enjoy going to see a movie there a few times.

The nearest ones weren't worth the long drive as they tended to feature the same mainstream, blockbuster type films as every other cinema chain around here. But the couple of times I visited Austin in recent years, I always made it a point to see a film. I did go to the Ritz location once even though there really wasn't a film I really wanted to see there. So I watched _Sisters_, the Tina Fey-Amy Poehler holiday flick of 2015.

If nothing else, we can thank the Alamo Drafthouse for spawning plenty of copycats and encouraging other cinema chains to up their concession game.

I used to work here

Post 3

Baron Grim

I just read in yesterday's local paper that the ADH planned for my area, less than 10 miles from me, will open regardless. The franchisee believes he's in good financial shape because he postponed opening during the pandemic.

I used to work here

Post 4

It could work.

I used to work here

Post 5

Baron Grim

It'll definitely be my theater of choice. It's going up in an area of high growth as the Greater Houston Metropolitan Area extends into North Galveston County. It's all master-planmed communities and sprawling shopping centers around here lately. Suburgatory.

I used to work here

Post 6

Baron Grim

A Houston landmark theater is threatened. The River Oaks Theater is similar to The Ritz, a classic theater with two screens. It's the only venue in Houston still running Rocky Horror. Today many of the Rocky Horror and other River Oaks Theater fans staged a protest. The property owners are refusing to negotiate an affordable lease.

Despite the long drive I've seen a few films there including Rocky Horror and John Waters' _Polyester_. I still have the Scratch & Sniff card from _Polyester_. Yes the skunk and fart smells were as advertised.

http://www.khou.com/article/news/my-hope-is-that-the-owners-will-start-to-see-it-as-an-asset-lease-dispute-puts-river-oaks-theater-in-jeopardy/285-137bc25a-7738-4ad2-8ae7-9a9b3929c9bf

I used to work here

Post 7

smiley - yuk

Key: Complain about this post