A Conversation for Aye... well... mmm

The weather report from Austin

Post 41

Felonious Monk - h2g2s very own Bogeyman

It's stopped now, thankfully. I was expecting to see our new roof piled up in the front garden. We have nevertheless experienced all sorts of other crap with out house, not least the fact that the builder forgot that the gas meter needed to be moved and this has buggered things up good and proper.

Post 42

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

The rain gods don't let Austin get much rain because they don't want to be Austin-tatious. smiley - silly

Post 43

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

Austin-tatious.... Groan....

I really wish my camera was fixed. I woke up (okay... at noon) and found it was snowing. Our first real snow of the year. Of course, it will probably melt and we will have out requisite freezing rain thru Christmas. We used to have a fair amount of snow at Christmas, but for the last 20 years, it has mostly been freezing rain.

Of course, we more than make up after Christmas......

Post 44

Lighthousegirl - back on board

Gosho - I always thought you would make a fab weatherman - much better than the one on your local telly!

Now I know I was right!

What ever his name is should be worried - My vots is for Gosho to be the new TV weather man for Austin smiley - smiley

Post 45

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

You mean Burton...
http://www.news8austin.com/content/contact_us/news_8_staff/?ArID=52932

Was he the one you had the goo-goo eyes for? smiley - winkeye

Post 46

frenchbean

Evening all... smiley - smiley

Phew - the rain and wind stopped. The sun came out and I've been outside all day in the garden. The temperature dropped dramatically at sunset (3:50pm), so I scuttled inside and poured myself a drink smiley - stiffdrink

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 47

Lady Scott

Gosho - you should go to weatherbug.com and download the free version of their service. You can get live weather statistics for Austin on your computer as soon as you log on, and (unless this is only on the paid version - I've forgotten), you can also check on the current weather statistics for just about any city in the US.

Currently 48F in Lancaster, Pa, winds WSW at 12 mph, gusts to 20 mph... 42% humidity, wind chill of 43F...

Post 48

Mudhooks: ,,, busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

Currently 2 Celcius, here in Ottawa. The snow is turnig to slush. My cat, needless to say, wanted out. When the weather doesn't suit him at the patio door, he starts scratching at the front door. I have to open the front door to point out that it is going to be just as cr@ppy there.

He finally did go out, tiptoeing along the very edge stoop finally leaping down onto the patio.... right into ankle deep slush. It was a short trip outdoors.

Post 49

Lighthousegirl - back on board

Thats the one Gosho but as I said at the time - good but no Gosho!

Weather here - well not sure really its dark, damp and windy!

Post 50

smiley - blush

Dewey's never seen proper snow, only the bare sprinkling we had last winter - hardly enough to cover the grass. And yes, we have actually had snow in Austin since I've been here. An ice storm too!

Mrs Gosho downloaded something similar to weather bug from the News 8 website but it got picked up as spyware when I ran my anti-spyware program, so I steer clear of those little pieces of software these days smiley - erm

Post 51

Lady Scott

Lord Scott runs anti-spyware stuff all the time on these machines. I don't think weatherbug has ever come up on it as spyware though.

smiley - erm

Of course, it may only be ok because we're running the paid version nowadays. (The banner ads became very annoying, and I think they may even be doing pop-up ads these days)

Post 52

GreyDesk

Weatherbug - definitely a spyware application. Not as serious as many that are out there, but it's spying on you none the less. Also the word is that it is pretty demanding of your bandwidth and can monkey around with your printer drivers for some reason smiley - erm

The Hurricane of '87 - widely viewed in Yorkshire as God's punishment on the South of England for re-electing Margaret Thatcher smiley - laugh. Me, I recall it being a bit damp that evening. Nothing more than that.

Post 53

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Is Margaret Thatcher still alive?
Or can they tell? smiley - winkeye

Post 54

The Iron Lady is still very much alive Paul, although the same can't be said of Denis any more.

Where were you at the time of the hurricane GD?

Post 55

GreyDesk

Where was I?

I'd have been in the Hadfield Arms on Commonside, Sheffield 10. That's where I spent most of that year smiley - cheers

Post 56

If you were there during the hurricane there must have been a very late lock-in that night smiley - tongueout

Post 57

GreyDesk

There may well have been. To be honest at that time one day just drifted into another in a Marston's Old Peculiar haze smiley - drunk

Post 58

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Marstons smiley - drool

How I miss proper beer, although there are a couple of very good micro breweries around these parts. I really miss pubs though smiley - sadface There are a few valiant efforts at a pub atmosphere in Austin - The Dog and Duck, Fado's Irish pub, but they can't recreate the atmosphere and feel of a local.

Post 59

frenchbean

Monday: Cairngorms weather (for that is where I was) - snow on the tops, sleet lower down. Then it got dark awful early before I noticed what the rest of the day did.

I was in a meeting all day smiley - yuk

smiley - cheers
F/b

Post 60

Monday evening, 21.48, been working at the store since 11am, been packing up eBay stuff for two hours before that, damn tired. Too tired and shagged out for a proper report. Let's just say that it's been mild and overcast all day, with heavy clouds - the kind which look like they're going to threaten a thunderstorm but never quite make it. So, sill no rain to top up the deficit.

"Keep some sunshine on your face" - Richard Pryor

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more