A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is wrong with Americans?

Post 6801

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Thank you Tonemonkey, MistyGirl - we really appreciate it.

Post 6802

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Della my condolances to you and your family...

smiley - rose

Post 6803

Thank you, Ferrettbadger...

Post 6804

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Oh, lord, Della, I'm so sorry. He had a sharp mind and a irascible wit, and his presence will be much missed. (My eyes are misting as I write!) My thoughts go out to you and your family.

Post 6805

Also Ran1-hope springs eternal

My dear Della,

Thank you for your reply. It is so difficult to accept and understand. But it is a beautiful epitaph and it has certainly touched a great many people.

I have a son and a brother who both suffer from schizophrenia and do a lot of voluntary work amongs people who have problems - so am well aware of the pain and suffering which these illnesses engender among both families and friends.

I send you my affectionate greetings. I think that his epitaph is so meaningful and should help to give you courage in your loss.

Very sincerely,

Also Ran1 smiley - schooloffish

Post 6806

Hello, Lentilla, that means so much coming from you, as I know he used to hassle you a lot! Thanks so much...smiley - hug

Post 6807

Hello, Also Ran1. You have my best wishes and hopes for your son and brother, schizophrenia is *so* hard to live with, for the person and their family...
You have been so encouraging, and so kind, especially to Maths Wizard, who is my 'baby' (he'd probably be quite cross if he was home and saw me write that...)
We're getting to the point of realising that the next step is learning to live with it. That seems hard right now, but in a year, it'll not be so raw.
Thank you again.
Della

Post 6808

Della -

We used to hassle each other quite a lot, but it was in hopes of changing the other's mind. If we thought we were wasting each other's time, I think we would have desisted. I don't argue with fools!

You might get some good from this article (A616231)... especially 'How do You Learn to Live with a Loss?'

Post 6809

Thank you, Lentilla, that is a very worthwhile article... I really appreciate it.
I miss him so much, and I know he enjoyed talking to, and with you...
Della.

Post 6810

Dear Della,

Thank you for your reply. have just read about your farewell to him.
I did not realise that Maths Wizard was yaur son.

It must have ben a very moving service and I am pleased thast so many of his friends were there. I must say that you and your family are never far from my mind since I have met you.

I wish you well. You have many happy memories and that is what one has to cherish.

with affection

Post 6811

Dear Della,

Thank you for your reply. have just read about your farewell to him.
I did not realise that Maths Wizard was yaur son.

It must have ben a very moving family and I am pleased thast so many of his friends were there. I must say that you and your family are never far from my mind since I have met you.

I wish you well. You have many happy memories and that is what one has to cherish.

with affection

What's Wrong With Americans

Post 6812

REDBONES68

NOTHING AT ALL, WHERE THE PROBLEMS LIE IS IN THE PEOPLE THAT DON'T LIKE US. YOU WILL FIND MESSED UP PEOPLE WHERE EVER YOU GO, WE SAVED ALOT OF PEOPLES BUTTS IN WW2 AND LOST ALOT OF GOOD MEN DOING SO. SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS HUH?

Post 6813

Hiya Redbone... topic unexpectadly back on topic. Just a quick note house style is to not type all in CAPS if that is ok mate. It is the online equivilent of SHOUTING!

Post 6814

REDBONES68

you look at us with such animosity because we are a country of open views. you say that we are stuck up or stupid or ignorant to your countries ways. well, i've never been to europe and i hope to do so one day but it makes me worry because if i do go, what are these people going to think of me and my kids and how are they going to act towards us. i am just a friendly person who wants to see more than my back yard. and when your people are here in the u.s of a, we give them respect because they are human like WE are.

Post 6815

I assure you Redbone that there has been a wide range of views expressed on this thread about WWWA not all negative.

I do not think that all Americans are stupid, stuck up, fat ect ect ad infinitum with the sterotypes.

However I do have some serious concerns about some aspect of america; namely foriegn and environmental policy. I think that there are many Americans who fell the same was as me about this.

Post 6816

Baron Grim

Redbone... I don't expect anyone to read nearly 7000 posts of backlog, but you might find it beneficial to read at least the first 100 and the last 100-200. Especially the last bit that you blindly jumped into.

Post 6817

U195408

I disagree your Countedness. I think he's doing just fine.

Post 6818

starbirth

Della, I have not been around for some time but when I read that Empty Sky has passed I was genuinely saddened. Empty Sky and I did not see eye to eye in the past in fact most of our exchanges were
rather torrid. While we disagreed on our world views I respected his intellect. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time Della. I have enclosed a short poem that I sums up my thoughts on lossing a loved one. It has helped me in the past and I hope it brings a smile to your face my Friend. smiley - rose

{Ad astra}

* Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
(Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!) *

Mary Frye

Post 6819

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Just been reading a passage about the Roman Republic after its defeat of Carthage.

"Never again would they tolerate the existance of a power capable of threatening their own survival. Rather than risk that, they felt themselves perfectly justified in launching a pre-emptive strike against any opponent who appeared to be growing too uppity. Such opponents were easy - all too easy - to find."

Rubicon: The Triumph and Tragedy of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland.

Sound like any modern imperial republics anyone can think of?

Post 6820

Della -

> I know he enjoyed talking to, and with you..

I've always liked talking to strong-willed people. I respect those who aren't afraid to say what they think, even though it might not win them any points.

I lost my sister about seven years ago in a car accident. She'd be 26 today, if she were alive. I still miss her, and always will. She was a unique person as well, strong willed and with a joie de vivre that I wish I had. Drop me a line anytime if you need to talk...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more