A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's Wrong With Americans

Post 6841

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

I think embarrasing tourists are pretty much universal to the western world.

The number of times I have cringed at British people speaking loudly and slowly at bemused locals who clearly do not understand english....

Or the other one is putting on stupid accents... a la my Dad. Where ever we go in the world when speaking to locals he always puts on this stupid indian accent whereever in the world we are. Credit to him he always trys to speak wherever possible in the local lingo just always in his bad indian accent... wonder what would happen if we went to india?

Post 6842

Baron Grim

It sounds like your dad is a pretty funny guy to me. smiley - biggrin

Post 6843

The thing is he totally refuses to accept that h does it. It is a bit of a family joke for me my brother and my step-mum. But Dad just does not accept that he does it!

Post 6844

Baron Grim

Very strange... but still funny.

Post 6845

U195408

Good point ferretbadger, I think tourists from every country can be obnoxious and rude.

Post 6846

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

yeah, the brittish are (in)famous for the talking to imbaciles and foriegners voice smiley - laugh, I always try to use as much of the local language as I can, except when I'm in quebec as it's part of Canada so they should know English smiley - crosssmiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

Post 6847

REDBONES68

whats funny is listening to people bash the way that other people speak,
you get so used to the sound of your own voice that when your somewhere else, you think that your the only one speaking properly.
you can talk about americans all you want but i remember when my grandfather saved your grandfathers arse in ww2. something about some crazy german guy invading your country. well how soon we forget that if it wasnt for us, you all would still be speaking german

Post 6848

clzoomer- a bit woobly

TBF- I beg to differ. Canada is a bilingual country, that's why all of us here have to go through five years of French in school. The fact that I'm 3,000 miles away from the French speaking part and very few people here speak the language is besides the point. smiley - biggrin

Post 6849

Yeah way to go Redbone; with that kind of attitude it is no wonder people sometimes get cheesed off with Americans...

We all saw just how generous action it was when we were still paying you off in the 90's, perhaps if the Americans had not been so isolationist and got involved in the first place mayby not so many people who have had to die....

Post 6850

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I refuse to enter into another *Who won WWII?* debate. The last one d@mn near killed me. Suffice it to say that the past is the past and I think we're talking about the present here?

Post 6851

Well it was until redbone starts stomping around in his size 15s.

Perhaps if he actually took the time to READ what people had said before posting (you know that it is not just Americans who are irritating on holiday; heck I mentioned my own DAD) then he might not get peoples backs up.

smiley - grrsmiley - grrsmiley - grr

Post 6852

REDBONES68

well then people, lets stop bashing americans because you can say anything you want, its a free world but don,t think for a minute that we treat you guys like crap when you visit here, or we talk crap about you guys. i personally don't have any negative perceptions of you, don,t believe everything you hear about us. this goes both ways.

Post 6853

badger party tony party green party

It was your grandaddy ehsmiley - huh

can you please tell me how many American pilots there are in this list of names of pilots who fought in the most important battle regarding the reulsion of Hitlers plans to invade Britain.

While your about why not look up how many men woemn and children died while the russians did the lion share of the fighting which took place on the eastern front and you could look up how many different nations were represented on the Normandy beaches on D-day.

Your glib attitude does none of the people involved in risking and giving their lives any credit at all.

Its about as vomit inducing as when people say Churchill won the warsmiley - headhurts

one love smiley - rainbow

Post 6854

To be honest Redbone I have always had a pretty open mind towards americans knowing personally as I do an American friend of the family who is nothing like the "Sterotype".

However loudmouthed people who storm into threads without reading the backlog going on about how "There grandaddy saved my grandaddys ass" only re-inforce negative perceptions.

If you don't want people to think bad of Americans YOUR attitude is not helping...

Post 6855

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

ohh WWII, well my grandad was a Jew, most of my cousins are American and my uncle was Italian, well Sicilian really and my other grandad fought in North Africa so my family pretty much cover all bases

smiley - cheers

Post 6856

U195408

HI zoomer smiley - smiley

History does repeat itself doesn't it?

Post 6857

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Hi dave. smiley - smiley

I'm standing well back and watching.

smiley - cheers

Post 6858

Baron Grim

smiley - whistle

Post 6859

Perhaps I posted slightly in anger there on reflection... however I think that redbone was trolling slightly and I allowed myself to be trolled up like a kipper.

Who won WW2 has been done to death. smiley - 2cents

Post 6860

clzoomer- a bit woobly

'Morning, Count! Loverly weather for this time of year, wouldn't you say? smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more