A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What's Wrong With Americans

Post 6861

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Well then....Oi, wait a minute, you can't troll a kipper you can only smoke one!

Anyway. I just had a look at the first few pages of this thread. Very enlightening. When did it all get so nasty?

Post 6862

U195408

ferretbadger

How many times have I trolled, or been trolled up? I was quite the worst for a good stretch. I don't think you've earned the crown yet.

dave

Post 6863

U195408

Well, it was starting to go downhill in the 1300's http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F19585?thread=84337&skip=1340&show=20

Post 6864

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Fair one monsieur obvious!

I have always rather prided myself on being reasonably level headed on hootoo. So when I react it annoys me.

Post 6865

Baron Grim

I still have a nasty taste in my mouth from the last time I 'reacted'.

Post 6866

clzoomer- a bit woobly

smiley - tea and kippers all around, then.

I'm back to work, see y'all later.

Post 6867

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Let's take one for the kipper!

No... wait... That's not right.

Redbone needs to read the backlog. Then he'll realize that this is a much more philosophical thread than the first two or three posts indicate. It's funny... about once every three months, somebody joins this thread and posts something almost identical to what Redbone just posted. Then they'll either realize that they spoke out of turn, read as much of the backlog as they can stand, and join the conversation... or, like Boxing Baboon, interject drunkenly, then lose interest.

Dave, you've got a point there, but your hat covers it nicely. smiley - winkeye

I think that our foreign policy needs to change. We've got to join the rest of the world. In the long run, it's better for American companies, because happy, healthy economies will purchase American goods. Unhappy economies will boycott American goods by the boatload because they're angry at Americans - it's simple, really. The only way we can do this is to join the UN and make it a real union of nations, and not just a place to send your angry diplomats so they can shout at each other.

I think that our constitution needs a bit of a rewrite, and I'm not talking about a stupid amendment to make marriage between gay couples illegal. Paugh. No, what I'm talking about is a revision of the impeachment process. The decision to impeach a president should not come from the members of the party that support him, or the members of the party that oppose him. There should be an independent council that regulates the activities of the president and those in his cabinet. If there's illegal activity/abuse of power, the council is there to investigate.

Didja hear that one of the members of the cabinet has said to the press that Bush was talking about bombing Iraq on 9/11? (We all knew it, but it wasn't an 'official' news story.)

Post 6868

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Lentilla, m'dear. I hate to say it since it is antagonistic, but when it *got weird* as we were talking about earlier, you were front and centre. In the words of sombody, can't we all just get along? smiley - smiley

Post 6869

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

> I hate to say it since it is antagonistic, but when it *got weird* as we were talking about earlier, you were front and centre.

I don't think it's antagonistic to say that... However, you'll remember when this thread began, there were a lot of people that were sounding a lot like Redbone - and many more who were aggressively anti-American, and weren't afraid to speak their minds. This was right after 9/11. I tried to keep an open mind and stay relatively impartial, but it's very difficult when somebody's telling you that Americans deserve to die because of their nation's foreign policy. smiley - erm Tempers were very heated. I recall some statements from you that got my back hairs up... smiley - winkeye

I also recall both you and Apparition (along with many others) posting some insightful comments that helped to revise my point of view. I hope that I've performed the same service.

So yeah, we can obviously all get along. That's what's cool about this place. I can actually talk about international affairs without getting into a shouting match. For one thing, it's hard to interrupt somebody when it's a forum like this one. For another thing, you can spend as much or as little time reading what the other has written. Or you can ignore them completely... Which in Redbone's case, might be the answer.

Right... off to consume alcohol at my favorite pub... My favorite current beverage is a smiley - cider and smiley - stout mix - like a black and tan, but with cider instead of Bass Ale. Just a little girly drink... smiley - evilgrin

Post 6870

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

"Cant we all just get along" Rodney King apparantly

Post 6871

Saturnine

T.B. - cl got there before me, but I really need to address this point as I too am a gaijin in Canada -

>>>" I always try to use as much of the local language as I can, except when I'm in quebec as it's part of Canada so they should know English."<<<

1. As cl explained, Canada is bilingual. It's either/or, not necessarily both. If you go to Quebec, you better speak French. Like in France.

2. Have you been to Vancouver? More accurately, have you been to Chinatown in Vancouver? smiley - bigeyes It's not English/French languages spoken, it's English/CANTONESE (I think that's right)...the point of Canada, as cl once put it, is that this country is a cultural mosaic, not a melting pot. smiley - cheers People do not need to assimiliate to be successful; people are allowed to celebrate their own culture if they so choose. Or not, if they so choose. I would imagine most folks learn English not only because the feel it helps them get along, but also because they want to. Most people in the world learn English just for fun - but how many languages do you speak?

3. Canada being bilingual does not bloody explain why I had to take 5 years of French and 3 of German. Dammit. And I passed with an A, and still can't read the French instructions on the packages. smiley - steam

4. My last rant, as I was actually quite offended by the above offhand quote - If you want American ways, where everyone is American, and not themselves, then go to America. But when you come to Canada, know the damn country. It's bilingual, it has a huge Chinese population, it has nice breathable air. You have no right to say that anything should be any other way.

Post 6872

BouncyBitInTheMiddle

A huge Chinese population you say? smiley - drool

Post 6873

Saturnine

Yes. I know. smiley - drool You have no idea. smiley - drool

*falls over from all the "feeling"*

smiley - laugh

Post 6874

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Ok, I'm going to ignore the fact that you blatantly weren't paying attention to what I put in my post, or you chose to ignore parts of it, and I'll merely go on to give a small amount of info.
I have only ever been to two parts of Canada, Quebec and Ontario, and it was only a short visit to Ontario. I have several Canadian friends, and I know many Canadians. The funny thing is they were the ones who when in Quebec refuse to speak any french, not all of them though, but a fair proportion. I was actually shocked by the way some of them felt towards Quebec, as a province, and the people who live there. I've always enjoyed my time there, except when I got injured, while skiing, by some dumb french bint who was going way too fast on a slope she wasn't technically good enough for. I /Love/ putine (spelling?) and whenever I've been there my french has improved a little.
To cut a long story short it was a joke!
Please pay attention to context, including smilies, in future before over reacting.

smiley - cheers

Post 6875

clzoomer- a bit woobly

TBF- I was attempting humour as well! As per usual Saturnine took the ball, ran it down the field and out the exit...smiley - laugh

I'm far from Ontario and Quebec but on business and pleasure trips I've experienced much of what you speak. smiley - winkeye

Post 6876

T.B. Falsename ACE: [stercus venio] I have learned from my mistakes, and feel I could repeat them exactly.

Yeah, I guessed you weren't being entirely serious. smiley - ok

smiley - cheers

Post 6877

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

i'll give you a clue it begins with an an A....and ends with an A

Post 6878

how goes the search ben

Post 6879

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Crazyhorse, you probably missed the backlog but a long time ago here I talked about the misnomer of the word *American*. I contend that dispite the usage of it to connotate US citizens, American should encompass North Americans and even Central and South Americans. smiley - laugh

Post 6880

i agree i've allways despised the use of an italian sightseers name to to encompass 2 continentssmiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more