A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Things that were cool in the '80ies

Post 81

prinsesse

dont forget about the word "duh" and other versions such as "doi" and "der"

any body remember the group cris cross, and that stupid song "jump"
what about hammer, and his stupid looking pants?

Post 82

Rockhopper

Not just test cards in the afternoon, but TV stations that shut down over night.

Not, strictly speaking, an 80's thing I know, but fond memories all the same... smiley - smiley

Talking of music...Howard Jones, The Thompson Twins, Fun Boy Three (not quite my taste, but some people liked them)

Post 83

Red Petals

Oh my, I have just spent the last 30mins reading all the cool things and boy does it bring it all back.

Just a few more things for you all:-

CHiPS - Offer Poncherello with his ford cortina and fluffy dice
Dukes of Hazard - Now Dasiy how the hell did you get in those shorts
Bucks Fizz winning the Eurovision song contest, all the girls at school spent ages ripping of the PE skirts!
Dollar! Okay bad music but still!
Dirty Dancng - Patrick Swazye and everyone learning the moves - "No one puts baby in the corner." Swoon!
Married with Children - Bundies Rule!
Happy Days - not sure if Seventies here!
Sweenie
Dempsey and Makepiece
Tiswaz - Spit the Dog and the Phantome Pie Flingers

I could go on but I can't getting to emotional for my youth!

R :oP

Post 84

Red Petals

Just before I leave my PC, must mention, Battle Star Galatica, Buck Rogers in the 21st Century- Biddy Biddy, whats up buck!

R :o)

Post 85

Rockhopper

Mmmm! Daisy Duke! It never mattered to adolescent males how she got into those shorts, just that she did.

How did Battlestar Galactica end? I never saw the last few episodes.

Post 86

james

norman spinrad,rollingthunder,kate bush,really big blue skys,the eagles gift...cd players vcrs becomeing affordable you could still buy albums on vinyle,volkswagen pickup trucks

Post 87

prinsesse

hey you can still buy albums in vinyl....it is a matter of having something to play them on...my player happens to be over 25 years old. it still works but has 2 pennies taped to it, and could use a new needle. does anyone in the states know where i can get one?

Post 88

james

the reason i got my first cd player was because it only cost roughly the price of a couple decent replacement cartriges ive been known to ware out a needle in a few months time.cartrige and needle as a unit only cost slightly more then just replacement stylis . a worn needle can distroy a priceless recording in one play.so i try to save my vinlye for recording that goes for needles too.on the vicrola you change needles every other play .we have some good used record stores semi locally where you can find good deals.suggest yard sales and the like for old turntables some saw very little use,and are almost screaming out play me!

Post 89

Hoversnail

The Balisarius TV production company seems to have been responsible for a lot that was good in the eighties. They had a hand in Airwolf, Magnum PI, Battlestar Galactica and Quantum Leap, (eighties favourites that Crescent has mentioned). This sort of thing inspired other classics like Manimal, Automan and Nighthawk of course, but does anyone remember my favourite of all time, the Belisarius program 'The Tales of the Gold Monkey'?

Post 90

HappyDude

You know some of us never left the 80's, I've still got the same hair style, still wear the same style of clothes and I still go to the same clubs and listen to the same music.

smiley - tongueout Long Live The 80's smiley - tongueout

Post 91

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

smiley - smiley I'll second that!!smiley - smiley

Post 92

Boo

No-ones been here for a while but i'll add my tuppence worth anyway. The greatest thing about the eighties was the movies - Back to the Future, Teen wolf, Ferris Buellers Day Off (Ace film), The Goonies!?!? why don't they make films like that anymore?

Does anyone remember a crappy little sci-fi movie called The Last Starfighter?

Post 93

Boo

Also, I was probably too old to have been watching it, but does anyone remember a cartoon called 'City of Gold' or Search for the city of gold or something like that. Where this matey and this kid with huge hair flew around in this golden condor in search of the city of gold? C'mon, please say i'm the only one sad enough to remember it?

It rocked, honestly.....

Post 94

NexusSeven

When that film came out, it was just the coolest thing since Star Wars. Well, I was 7 at the time... smiley - winkeye
Having seen it recently, though, I can safely say that it looks dated (and I'm being kind).

You made one crucial omission on your list, however: Tron. Now there was a film that provoked a) my lifelong fascination with computers; b) my lifelong fascination with the whole cyberpunk 'individual vs corporation' ethos; and c) many conversations that involved usage of the immortal line 'on the other side of the screen'. Classic.

smiley - bigeyes (nostalgic haze)

Post 95

Crescent

It was good, see http://www.h2g2.com/A201808 for a wee bit more. However after CoG the beeb put on the travesty that wass Belle and Sabastien. Grrrrrr!
BCNU - Crescent

Post 96

NexusSeven

Sorry about the simulposting!

You refer, of course, to the 'Mysterious Cities of Gold', the only cartoon series long enough that it seemed to last a whole childhood...

Other top kids' telly at the time were things like Star Fleet, Terrahawks, Ulysses 31 (or whatever that one was called), Knightmare... the list goes on...

Post 97

HappyDude

Just who did soot JR?

And was it all really a dream?

smiley - tongueoutsmiley - tongueoutsmiley - tongueout

Post 98

HappyDude

Soot, Shoot aw hell it all rymes. smiley - tongueout

Post 99

james

the far side

Post 100

Paladin of the Lost Hour

"Tales from the Gold Monkey", starring Stephen Collins, who presumably got the job after his mediocre performance in the first Star Trek movie (1979). An Indiana Jones/Casablanca ripoff, but entertaining.

The Greatest American Hero.

Thundarr the Barbarian.

The Star Trek movies (II through VI, except V)

The Empire Strikes Back.

Return of the Jedi.

Bloom County (Bill the Cat, specifically).

Motley Crue, until Vince killed Razzle. smiley - sadface

Iron Maiden.

Queensryche.

Van Halen (until 1984, the year, and the album).

Wham!, then George Michael.

Poison.

Tangerine Dream.

Hanoi Rocks, until Vince killed Razzle. smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post