A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What films etc

Post 7421

You can call me TC

The Second Best Marigold etc etc has come out in Germany as

The Best Marigold Hotel II.

Which rather misses the point.

Tom Wilkinson joining a group of people who have been laid off to follow a crazy scheme to make money? That was the Full Monty!

What films etc

Post 7422

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Well, he's at it again, then! smiley - biggrin

Last night I saw the new Disney live-action "Cinderella," full of cute CGI mice and lizards. A charming movie, though probably not aimed at a grumpy codger like me smiley - winkeye. On her deathbed, Cinderella's mother urges Cinderella to always have courage and be kind. This becomes the film's mantra, and the philosophy spreads to the Prince and even the King.

With Cate Blanchett as the smoothly cruel stepmother, Lily James as Cinderella, Helena Bonham-Carter as the godmother, Richard Madden as the pri8nce, and Derek Jacobi as the old King. There are some nice comic touches as the stepsisters mince around in ridiculously ornate dresses and sing off-key. The coachman looks and acts like the goose he really is. The lizard footmen still have lizard tails poking out form under their coats. It's really a lot of fun, if not exactly adult fare.

What films etc

Post 7423

Pink Paisley

'Tom Wilkinson joining a group of people who have been laid off to follow a crazy scheme to make money? That was the Full Monty!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZBdTCsRCY

PP.

What films etc

Post 7424

Mol - on the new tablet

Mockingjay part 1. On DVD because my children wouldn't let me go to see it in the cinema.

I know the penultimate film in a series usually gets some flack (mainly for not being the final one, as far as I can make out) and I did get that Deathly Hallows 1 feeling at the end (ie, I'm not sure I can bear to watch the final film) but that's probably inevitable under the circs.

I thought it was a good adaptation of the first half of the final Hunger Games book, and the break came in the right place. It didn't convey particularly well how carefully-regulated life was in District 13 (there were hints, and it was beautifully reflected by the Capitol's instructions to workers in District 8, but I didn't see any daily schedule printed on people's wrists). And President Coin was a tiny bit too ... nice ...

... But the film captured brilliantly how Katniss struggled against becoming a revolutionary figurehead (which is basically what the first half of the story is about). It was also good to see the rebellions in the other districts, which we only hear about second-hand in the books.

Not a film for the emotionally fragile, though, and part 2 is going to be even worse in that respect smiley - brave

Mol

What films etc

Post 7425

Pastey

Just watch the three Toy Story films again, and boy are they good!

Every time I watch them I keep picking up on new small, side jokes, and the end is still a tear jerker!

What films etc

Post 7426

I don't see anything I really want to watch in the theaters this week. I might borrow a DVD from the Library and watch that instead.

What films etc

Post 7427

Pink Paisley

Home:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLGDJkhYnVc

It looked sort of minionesque in the trailers.

But it wasn't. Not recommended.

PP.

What films etc

Post 7428

It won't be shown in my area until seven o'clock tonight. How did you get a chance to see it in advance? But apart from that, even if it's a kiddie flick, I'd prefer that to the "Fast and Furious 7 Millionth sequel" and "Run all Night" kind of violence-fests that seem to infest the theaters after the previous year's award-winners have left and the summer blockbusters aren't yet ready smiley - erm.

But comic violence I can enjoy sometimes. Will Ferrell is set to star in a movie about a white collar criminal who is to go to San Quentin [it's a prison], and he feels a need to be educated about getting tough enough to survive prison.

What films etc

Post 7429

Pink Paisley

It was on release since last week at our local cinema. Letchworth Broadway - it's a lovely cinema.

It is fairly normal for kiddie flicks to have stuff going on at an adult sort of level nowadays - or at least so that adults 'get' it.

The last cartoon I saw was Book of Life - which worked very well for an adult (even if it was mostly down to the Day of the Dead imagery).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_jjeqzJtgI

PP.

What films etc

Post 7430

"Book of life" had so much color and pageantry going on that it was hard to resist it. smiley - smiley

Anyway, this time of year isn't the greatest for new movies. The movie industry makes its big bucks in the Summer, and garners its awards in the Fall/Winter. The worst stuff, if it gets released at all, comes out in February and March. That way the studios can craft an upward curve, so things seem to be getting better as the year goes along. smiley - erm

What films etc

Post 7431

You can call me TC

I went to see "A little Chaos" yesterday. At the box office, the lady in front of me asked for a ticket to "A spot of bother" smiley - rofl

The reviews weren't brilliant, but I try and make a point of going when they show films in the original English version. The German title is simply "The gardener of Versailles", which rather gives too much away. Nevertheless it was a very atmospheric film. Alan Rickman was definitely totally wrong as the French King, but who knows, perhaps he was like that. You usually imagine him more camp than that.

The king's brother, played by Stanley Tucci, was very famously gay and Stanley Tucci's first appearance was so brilliant, I nearly applauded in the middle of the film - like an instrumental solo at a concert.

He was married to Liselotte von der Pfalz who was very sweet - I think she should actually have been far cheekier than she was played. I really must write that entry on her. I have a copy of her letters by my bed which I haven't got round to reading yet. (Let alone replying to smiley - biggrin - boom tish)

Anyway, the whole thing was a fabrication, and the story totally predictable, and the people extremely un-French, but it was a nice way to spend an hour and a half.

What films etc

Post 7432

We Yanks won't get to see that movie until after June 26, if we get to see it at all.

The other night I saw "Tomorrowland," which was visually astonishing smiley - wow. i8 might have to see it a few more times in order to figure out the plot, though smiley - cdouble

What films etc

Post 7433

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Wow, a while since I caught up here. Chappie and Jupiter Ascending were very good. We enjoyed the Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel but couldn't work out what was going on with the Maggie Smith character. Was she supposed to be living out her final days? She gave us the best laughs in a film that had a LOT of running about - we were exhausted by the endsmiley - puff

Kingsman: The Secret Service - this was so gory in parts I started to heave but it was action-packed and unexpectedly swerving here and there, worth watching.

While We're Young - only go see this if you're a Ben Stiller mega-fan. smiley - yawn

We're trying to find time to go see San Andreas in 3D and the new Jurassic Park, can't wait for thosesmiley - wow

GB
smiley - galaxysmiley - cdouble

What films etc

Post 7434

San Andreas has only just opened here. Last night I saw Brad Cooper and Emma Stone in "Aloha," where the scenery often upstaged the actors. smiley - erm The plot seemed to be tacked on as an afterthought, something to be thinking about when Brad and Emma weren't agonizing about whether to be lovers...

What films etc

Post 7435

Xanatic

I watched The Constant Gardener yesterday, which as a revenge movie is quite a failure. Fiennes plays a rather spineless guy working for the High Commision in Kenya. His wife dies and he discovers she was murdered, due to what she knew. He then investigates and basically let's the murderers get away with it.

What films etc

Post 7436

I missed "Constant Gardener" when in was in the theaters. I kicked myself for not seeing it when it got an Oscar [or Oscar nomination]. I haven't had a chance to see it on DVD -- been too busy planting seeds, weeding, mulching, watering, and other seasonal activities.

What films etc

Post 7437

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - laugh

What films etc

Post 7438

You can call me TC

I got the DVD of the Constant Gardener ages ago and remember being totally enchanted by the film.

I watched Skyfall again at the weekend and am in awe at Ralf Fiennes' acting - when he's playing M, you don't even have in the back of your mind that he was once Voldemort.

What films etc

Post 7439

If he had you convinced that he was Judy Dench, then he's a consummate actor. smiley - smiley

But, yes, I can't see him without imagining him as Voldemort, though much better looking. smiley - smiley Voldemort was supposed to look as ugly outside as he was inside.

What films etc

Post 7440

You can call me TC

At the end of Skyfall, he has been appointed the new "M".

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more