A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What in your music collection do you hide when 'cool' people visit?

Post 21

Agapanthus

Oh, I perfectly understand that not everyone likes the Dylan. And then you say, 'sorry, just not my thing,' and all is peaceful. You don't tease a lass for 20 minutes about her hideous taste in music and then ask her out expecting the answer 'yes please'.

Post 22

Mu Beta

I don't know any cool people.

And I really can't bring myself to agree with anyone who: a) Doesn't like Dylan, or b) Owns anything by ABBA.

B

Post 23

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

I don't hide anything, if anything dodgy in the collection is pointed out for ridicule it usually belongs to the boyfriend (we have huge amounts of dreadful *ROCK* on both cd and vinyl - all his). I have the occasional album I really regret buying but I blame those on J too smiley - evilgrin

Post 24

badger party tony party green party

There is nothing in my collection that I feel ashamed of even the stuff by sting.smiley - zensmiley - erm

Most people pick on my geatest TV theme tunes of the eighties and Hannah and Barbera CDs but they simply fail to see the entertainment value of these till a fewsmiley - alesmiley - cheers are added to the equation.

I dont have any problems anyway as I dont know anyone cooler than mesmiley - tongueout

Except maybe Bill Drummond and Jimmy whats his face from the KLF and they sampled ABBA stuff.smiley - magic

one love smiley - rainbow

Post 25

Lady in a tree

We have a thing going with mates in the States whereby we find the naffest CD we can and send it over for Xmas and vice versa. William Shatner's Greatest Hits was a good one. As was the Cowboy Gospel Choir Sings The Beatles. But they go into our naff pile anyway - to be admired by visitors!

I was seriously unsmiley - cool for a long time with all my Adam and the Ants CDs - but for some reason every time somebody spots them in my CD rack they always say they want to listen to them smiley - erm.

The only CD I would hide through shame would be the Celine Dion (and on and on) one that b/f insists on keeping smiley - yuk

Post 26

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Kuel is in the eye of the beholder smiley - alienfrownsmiley - erm Well I'd probably, should I want to appear 'kuel' for some reason, in reality, just ensure all the Spanish flaminco and African guitar stuff is in the player and strewn over the HiFi, oh, it is smiley - ermsmiley - doh

Post 27

Mina

I *am* the cool person who visits. smiley - winkeye

Post 28

Mu Beta

**refrains from comment**

B

Post 29

Mina

smiley - handcuffs

Post 30

Mu Beta

That's not cool, that's hot. smiley - evilgrin

B

Post 31

MuseSusan

I'm sorry, Dylan fans, ABBA fans, it's not that I don't respect those artists, I just don't know anything about them.

Showtunes all the way. Anything you ask for, I can give you at least a song, and probably a whole show that satisfies your requirements.

Showtunes, showtunes, showtunes.

Post 32

McKay The Disorganised

Its tricky - my Johnny Cash have suddenly become smiley - cool, people are starting to find out who Kris Kristofferson is, so all his early stuff no longer invokes comment. Some people have a go at my Don McLean and Simon & Garfunkle albums, yet they seem to know every song on them.

People make comments about my Dylan, but the ones that really lights their fuses are my Leonard Cohen albums.

So naturally they're at the front.

smiley - cider

Post 33

Teasswill

Leonard Cohen smiley - drool

My CDs aren't usually on show, they're a pretty assorted lot & I keep them by my computer. I get mildly embarrassed that visitors will think hubby's CDs (Dione Warwick, Billy Joel) in the living room are a joint choice.

Between us we've got a bit of everything - yes, including some showtunes!

Post 34

Teasswill

PS We don't have anyone more smiley - cool than me visiting!

Post 35

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Theres a difference for me between th stuff I know other people won't like and the stuff I would hide. I'm happy for them to see my Hawkwind or Leonard Cohen or any of the stuff most people hate. Its the compilations I hide because they're an admission that I don't know much about the music in question.

A friend has all the music from the various James Bond films and I've made him suffer for it over the years but I love my Specials and Selecter versions of the same songs.

Post 36

Dark Master - The end is now (2005/03/01) Officially Left

I have no CD's or smiley - cool friends so I'm sorted.

Post 37

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I've just realised I don't have any smiley - cool friends either, and as a librarian, smiley - cool colleagues are obviously out of the question... smiley - winkeye Maybe that's the real reason I never hide anything.

David

Post 38

Agapanthus

Mind you, I'm a librarian, and my fifteen-year-old sister thinks I'm smiley - cool (possibly this is cupboard love)...

I hide nothing on the principle that if you won't be my friend because I like Woody Guthrie, then I won't be your friend because you are a crashing snob.

Post 39

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

I think librarians are smiley - cool
Must be because I actually failed to be one smiley - erm
Took the first year of a Librarianship and Infomation Science degree and dropped out smiley - smiley

Post 40

A Super Furry Animal

>> Think somebody did make comment that music once not liked, can come back into fashion. I used to hate Duran Duran, now one or two songs I can *twitch* *twitch* listern too. <<

Right. Come over here, and let me *hedjicate* you. Duran Duran are smiley - cool, were smiley - cool, and forever have been and will be smiley - cool. How you can make a statement like that about the band so good they named it twice (TBSGTNIT) is beyond me - possibly someone has played you that POS called "Rio" and claimed it is representative of their music?

Not only do I display my TBSGTNIT CDs with pride, I've been known to play them to passing visitors with good musical taste. "So, who do you think this is, then?" "No idea, but it's *good*" "It's TBSGTNIT!" "Wow, if I'd known they were like *this*, I'd've bought their stuff ages ago!"

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more