A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What in your music collection do you hide when 'cool' people visit?

Post 41

tanzen

...I used to be a music elitist in my youth...what I listened to was smiley - cool and everything else was smiley - weird....

...these days I tend to embrace the "different strokes for different folks" philosophy...and while I don't own any ABBA music, I wouldn't hold it against anyone who did...I mean, I own the Monkees in concert cd, who am I to judge smiley - laugh??

Post 42

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

I had some really awful stuff in my collection in years goneby (anyone remember Crass) but defnitely no Duran Duran and that is something I intend to hold the same. Next you'll be recommending Wham to me RF.
Defnitely different strokes for different folks Tanzen but the Monkees, well really smiley - laugh

Post 43

tanzen

Oh the Monkees rock and you know it smiley - winkeye!

Post 44

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

I used to watch them as a kid but I preferred the Bananna Splits
All together now, "One banana, two banana etc"
Now that was rock smiley - biggrin

Post 45

tanzen

That was what school holidays were all about when I was little...The Banana Splits, the Monkees, and HR Puffenstuff (which I think I may have spelt wrong...smiley - erm)

But the Monkees were always my favourites, possibly because of the giant crush I had (have smiley - loveblush) on Mike...smiley - blush

Post 46

Also White Horses, Flashing Blades
Now thats a compilation album I'd buy

Post 47

smiley - erm another compilation album I'd buy smiley - winkeye

Post 48

tanzen

*suddenly feeling decidedly smiley - cool*

smiley - biggrin...smiley - erm...

*starts to wonder if smiley - cool people use the word "decidedly"*

Post 49

MuseSusan

My claim to fame is that I actually met one of the Monkees and got his autograph (and that was two weeks ago). Actually, I'm proud to say that even though I grew up well after the Monkees, I've not only heard of them but like some of their songs.
Actually, I like a number of singers from the sixties and seventies, and almost none from my generation. But it took me a long time before I even gave them a chance, assuming that because they weren't showtunes and because my mother liked them, they must be bad. I've subsequently learned to be more open-minded about music, and about life, the universe, and everything.

Post 50

I've just done a quick poll on that at work and the unanimous verdict (all 4 of us) is no smiley - tongueout

Post 51

And what do you mean in your youth you mere slip of a girl Tanzen (continueing with the nostalgia theme) Oh, to be 24 again

Post 52

tanzen

MuseSusan, I'm a lot like that...I am (as Blackberry Cat has mentioned smiley - tongueout) 24, but spend a lot of time listening to the Beatles, the Doors, the Kinks, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, and other stuff form the 60s in particular...I knew it wasn't "usual" but I never suspected it wasn't smiley - coolsmiley - yikes!

And Blackberry smiley - biggrin...I know I'm only 24 smiley - erm...but one day I'm gonna grow up and be a crazy old lady on a motorcylce smiley - cheers!

...is that smiley - cool? No smiley - erm? Well good smiley - evilgrin!!

Post 53

Scary
When you start terrorizing the neighbourhood on your Harley I shall be very polite or smiley - run

Post 54

tanzen

I won't be scary...well, not very smiley - evilgrin...

I've been spending the last few years perfecting the crazy part....just started on the hippie bit with a bit more fervour...now I've got to get my motorbike license and figure out how to do all three at the same time smiley - ok!!

Post 55

MuseSusan

The motorbike and everything is fine; what will scare me is if you're an old lady terrorizing the neighborhood while singing at the top of your aged lungs.

Post 56

I'm mostly laidback, so laidback I fall over (or is that the smiley - redwine), go with your dream smiley - ok

Post 57

tanzen

Well it's got to be a step up from now...where I tend to be the loony on public transport smiley - weird!

Post 58

Thats me that is
I refuse to drive or own a car so its public transport or shanks pony for me

Post 59

tanzen

I was on the tram a few months ago with my youngest brother, teaching him how to proposition girls on the streets with the use of clever hand gestures smiley - winkeye...

...and my other brother and I consider a tram ride wasted unless at least one person has broken down laughing in psite of themselves smiley - weirdsmiley - rofl!

Post 60

smiley - rofl now I can see where your tag line comes from
Your parents must dread it when your brothers come back from seeing you
What will Tanzen have taught them now?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more