A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 11341

Pink Paisley

Dandelions.

PP

Petty Hates

Post 11342

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

dandelions?

Petty Hates

Post 11343

Pink Paisley

Yep. Dandelions. The little yellow b&4!6%)$. All over my lawn.

PP

Petty Hates

Post 11344

Rod

Dandelions? Presumably the ones that have evolved to flower very near the ground? The ones your mower won't get?
Didn't used to be like that.

Petty Hates

Post 11345

$u$

Dandelions are pretty yellow flowers. They have a lot of seeds and are very generous with them. Can't understand what's not to like about them, the smiley - bleeping smiley - bleeps

smiley - flustered

Petty Hates

Post 11346

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Dandelions ?

smiley - run

Petty Hates

Post 11347

Malabarista - now with added pony

Weeds are just plants that learned every skill except how to grow where you want them...

Petty Hates

Post 11348

$u$

..or how to grow in rows, Mala, as I read earlier today. smiley - laugh I wonder if there is a place where anyone ever /wants/ dandelions to grow?

My guinea pigs used to be very fond of them...

Petty Hates

Post 11349

They're called "paarde(n)bloem" (horse flower) in Dutch, possibly because horses love eating them... smiley - pony

Petty Hates

Post 11350

KB

The Victorians used to reserve a patch of the vegetable bed specially for growing dandelions.

Either that, or that's what they claimed because they couldn't bear the social stigma of having weeds in their gardens. smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 11351

$u$

smiley - laugh KB.

I'd never noticed horses love them, Mala. Or maybe we just didn't have dandelions in our fields (maybe the horse ate them, lol!). Or maybe I was too preoccupied with the dreaded ragwort. smiley - grr

Of course, some people like to make dandelion wine or dandelion and burdock. Does anyone 'grow' dandelions specifically for such a purpose, I wonder?

Petty Hates

Post 11352

Ragwort, now there's a more-than-PH...

Petty Hates

Post 11353

$u$

What is the point of ragwort? That's what I'd like to know. It falls into the same category as wasps. smiley - winkeye

Petty Hates

Post 11354

quotes

>>Weeds are just plants that learned every skill except how to grow where you want them...
smiley - biggrin

Very good!
My chickens liked dandelions, so I was never worried about them in my (ornamental)garden. They are a problem in vegetable plots though, especially since your tidy neighbour will worry that your dandelions will infect his pristine beds.

Petty Hates

Post 11355

toybox

PH: not being able to post.

Petty Hates

Post 11356

Deb

Pegasus: <>

The point of ragwort is to provide sustenance for the cinnabar moth caterpillars

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/06/23/cinnabar-moth-caterpillars-2/#

The point of cinnabar moth caterpillars is to make me smile smiley - biggrin cos they're so cute and tiger-tailey.

Deb smiley - cheerup

Petty Hates

Post 11357

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

PH: paper cuts

Petty Hates

Post 11358

$u$

"The point of ragwort is to provide sustenance for the cinnabar moth caterpillars "

smiley - ok deb, I can accept that. I like moths smiley - bluebutterfly although there aren't many about this year so far.

Petty Hates

Post 11359

Anna Siren- the heathen of the deep, according to iTunes...

PH 1: when I click on this conversation, it brings me to the opening page, not the last few posts, anyone know what's UP?

PH 2: leaving an essay til the last minute... it's due next week and I need to make it good, dammit. Damn you, Anna, and your procrastination, because it's never alright the week before, is it?

PH 3: just up a wee bit from the acids at the lower end of the scale, LOL.

Petty Hates

Post 11360

KB

Next week's plenty of time. Pretend it's under exam conditions - you'd only have a couple of hours to write a first class essay then. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post